Got myself fired

Ebow1

Guest jackdm3
I'm starting to feel like that guy in Office Space.:tinfoil:

"Look! I deal with the *******ed customers so the engineers don't have to. I HAVE PEOPLE SKILLS D*MMIT! I'M GOOD WITH PEOPLE! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT?"

Do you think some day you'll be saying, "OK, but I have to set the building on fire." ?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamie, you're definately right about everything building up with me. I find myself more easily offended, and less patient with each day.

Okay... now tell me honestly how you think my earlier prediction isn't justified - and very likely to be true - if this trend continues?

This time it was corporate Domino's that set you off. What will be the next thing to do the same? School bureaucracy? A cop that's either on an ego trip or just having a bad day? A girlfriend that decides to have a PMS rampage at exactly the wrong time?

My point here is that there's always going to be something, and you're going to have to learn to control yourself and get through whatever it is in such a way as to not make it worse, at bare minimum. Because even though you may not like the world and what it's turned into, you still have to live in it.

Even starting and owning your own business isn't going to be an escape from that, since even that will come with it's own kind of stresses. ( You haven't had to deal with the folks that work down at the county or city offices yet, who'll be in control of your business license, county/city taxes, etc. They can be the gatekeepers to a special kind of hell... and that's on a GOOD day. :popcorn: )

Sorry, but you're just going to have to develop better coping skills, or you will be forever miserable....

....especially if you ever end up married. :P

J.

Edited by Jamie
Experience dictates wisdom and knowledge. Age is just something that happens to everyone.

I wish that were true, but unfortunately I know too many people who prove it isn't.

Some people seem to be able to have plenty of experience, but never learn anything from it. Or just don't want to. So in the end, I'm forced to conclude that maturity and experience are the true keepers of wisdom and knowledge.

J.

Okay... now tell me honestly how you think my earlier prediction isn't justified - and very likely to be true - if this trend continues?

This time it was corporate Domino's that set you off. What will be the next thing to do the same? School bureaucracy? A cop that's either on an ego trip or just having a bad day? A girlfriend that decides to have a PMS rampage at exactly the wrong time?

My point here is that there's always going to be something, and you're going to have to learn to control yourself and get through whatever it is in such a way as to not make it worse, at bare minimum. Because even though you may not like the world and what it's turned into, you still have to live in it.

Even starting and owning your own business isn't going to be an escape from that, since even that will come with it's own kind of stresses. ( You haven't had to deal with the folks that work down at the county or city offices yet, who'll be in control of your business license, county/city taxes, etc. They can be the gatekeepers to a special kind of hell... and that's on a GOOD day. :popcorn: )

Sorry, but you're just going to have to develop better coping skills, or you will be forever miserable....

....especially if you ever end up married. :P

J.

Jamie, that is the most sage, honest, and useful advice anyone could offer at this point...very well put.

I wish that were true, but unfortunately I know too many people who prove it isn't.

Some people seem to be able to have plenty of experience, but never learn anything from it. Or just don't want to. So in the end, I'm forced to conclude that maturity and experience are the true keepers of wisdom and knowledge.

J.

I'm not saying we don't learn anything with age or adjust our thought process, but it is only through our life experiences that we shape our world and the way we view it and react to it. Aging is just simply a process that we all go through.

The problem with the age argument is that too many people use it as a crutch "I'm older I know more". That is simply untrue. For example, I worked at FedEx for several years as a Ramp Agent. If you are 20 years older than me and have never worked for FedEx then you obviously don't have the same experience or knowledge that I do in that area so age does not dictate knowledge, experiences do.

It's like saying a 50 year old shut in knows more than a 30 year old who has traveled the world.

I'm not saying we don't learn anything with age or adjust our thought process, but it is only through our life experiences that we shape our world and the way we view it and react to it. Aging is just simply a process that we all go through.

The problem with the age argument is that too many people use it as a crutch "I'm older I know more". That is simply untrue. For example, I worked at FedEx for several years as a Ramp Agent. If you are 20 years older than me and have never worked for FedEx then you obviously don't have the same experience or knowledge that I do in that area so age does not dictate knowledge, experiences do.

It's like saying a 50 year old shut in knows more than a 30 year old who has traveled the world.

In a specific situation, like a particular job, that may be true... but in a general way, age has the advantage. Sure, working for FedEx for a period of time will convey certain experiences. However, someone who's lived 2, 3 or 4 times as long as you have will probably have far more experience that parallels what you may know, and that exceeds it by a very large margin. They will probably also have an insight into things that apply even to the FedEx position, even if they've never worked there.

The person will still need the maturity and the intelligence to both perceive and learn the lessons that experience has to teach though. And also the memory to retain it and put it to use.

As your shut-in example shows, that's not set in stone however. But in general it is true. If it weren't, there wouldn't be so many 50 year-olds that wondered how the hell they survived past 25. :popcorn:

J.

It took just under a year's worth of Domino's garbage to set me off. One isolated incident wouldn't have done it. I've dealt with an officer on an ego trip before and PLENTY of situations with furious people while I worked for Blockbuster. I can handle seperate incidents. I just seem to need to work on putting up with continued drawn out incidents and not letting things build up.

It took just under a year's worth of Domino's garbage to set me off. One isolated incident wouldn't have done it. I've dealt with an officer on an ego trip before and PLENTY of situations with furious people while I worked for Blockbuster. I can handle seperate incidents. I just seem to need to work on putting up with continued drawn out incidents and not letting things build up.

You didn't deal too well with the insurance company either, after the accident, as I recall.

And one of the similarities I noticed between how you handled both that and the bumper sticker situation was the "I just want them to _______."

You didn't deal very well with either of them not doing what you wanted them to do, or behaving in the manner you thought that they should. And THAT is one of the things you need to learn how to deal with better. 'Cause there's going to be very few times when people go about things the way you would prefer they did.

The other item I noticed - and this especially applies to the insurance co. thing - is that you had very unrealistic expectations of what could or should be done. And I think that only compounded your frustration with Domino's.

And one last thing... you keep saying you have dealt with this, that, or the other before. But you've also noted - and stated - that you, and how you deal with things - has changed: "I find myself more easily offended, and less patient with each day."

In other words, you aren't where you were, so how you reacted then doesn't matter. It's how you're reacting to things now that's going to be the problem. And it's going to be an even bigger problem if you don't figure it out, and not let it get any worse. Maybe getting away from Domino's is the answer. Maybe it isn't.

One way or the other, you need to keep a level head and find out.

J.

Edited by Jamie
It might not be so hard if you'd just stop being right all the time.

Hey, it's not my fault the world is what it is...

Anyway, make the most of me being right, if I am, and save yourself some grief. :P

Besides, I can guarantee you that it wouldn't be any easier if I were wrong. And I've got all the lumps, bumps, bruises, cuts, etc. to prove it, and that I learned everything I've said to you the hard way and by being wrong. :D:P

( BTW, if you want to know about all the times I'm wrong, you'll have to talk to my wife and my ex-wives.... :popcorn: )

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest bkelm18

Where's that guy that posted that everyone (unless they died from military action) under 28 was a complete and utter waste of space? He needs to get in on this. :popcorn:

I remember that thread now. I do actually agree with a lot of what he said though I don't necessarily break it down to a certain age group.

extremely lazy-This has nothing to do with age, I've known lazy old people and lazy children, plain and simple

cannot converse with any semblence of intelligence-Unfortunately I've found this to be true of most people my age.

are slow moving and lethargic-I would put this under the laziness

many of them mumble when they speak-Again, nothing to do with age

and NEVER look you in the eye-I've noticed this problem amongst many age groups

They NEVER offer to shake hands first-I can say that I have on plenty of occassions, but sometimes the other person just beats me to it

and when I offer first, its like grabbing a handful of wet noodles...completely limp.-Again, something I've noticed across many age groups

Most of them are completely reliant on someone else, usually the government or mom & dad, to take care of themselves.-I think the blame for that one should be placed on the parents

They cannot cook-I can make some of the best burgers North of the gulf

NEVER clean...oh GOD the stories I can tell on that one subject...-I gotta be honest, I'm pretty bad about that one

cant do laundry-Not an age thing

dont read, except text mssgs-Unfortunately true of most my age

they dont know where ONE DAMN THING is, geographically speaking, except the mall,-Don't really care much about malls, but geography definately isn't my strong suit

cannot tell you who the VP is, or more than two men who signed the Declaration of Independence,-Unfortunately

cannot start to speak without uttering "UHHH"-Unfortunately

generally need a bath and/or at least wash their greasy hair-Don't really know what to say to that one

are so COMPLETELY stupid as to be borderline retarded-too generic to respond to

are generally liberal, even though A. they couldnt tell you what "liberal" meant. B. They couldnt tell you WHY they are liberal even if they knew what it meant-unfortunately

the concept of "you dont work, you dont eat" is so completely unknown to them, its like speaking Chinese, the idea of earning your way through life, making it on your own, has NEVER crossed their mind-unfortunately

would not stand up and defend an innocent person, woman, child, small animal or even themselves, MUCH LESS their own country-unfortunately

THE ONLY F-ING SHOES THEY OWN, MALE OR FEMALE, ARE F-ING FLIP FLOPS OR...UUGH...CROCS-can't really see how that's a character flaw no matter how much crocs annoy me

no manners-unfortunately

have an un-believable sense of entitlement-unfortunately

couldnt fight their way out of a wet paper sack-I don't see that as a problem for me, I may have to fight one of them one day

dont know good music or food from Adam's housecat-I don't know this Adam or his cat so I can't really comment

the majority believe Bill Mahr is GOD, the others dont believe in ANY GOD-Difference of religious opinion is not a character flaw

I can't say this with complete certainty, but to me the majority of a person's character flaws stem largely from their upbringing, how they're raised, and how good of a job their parents do. Discipline, manners, and respect need to be both taught and shown to children at an early age.

Guest m14man
Nah, cause then the pizza company would be out of business because a large pizza would cost about $225 delivered and that would only be delivered between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. No work on rainy days, either.

thats funny i work a union job and i work on call 24 hours a day 13 days before i get 48 hours off. weekends rain sleet snow shine wether it is -12 0r 115 all holidays and my company made a net profit of over 5 billion in a crappy economy. not all unions are like that.

@Mike-It sounds like I'll be an alcoholic.

Well you got that going for you, LOL.

I hope you find another job that works into your school schedule.

Is there a private country club somewhere around you? Those kinds of places always seem to be looking for wait staff.