Got myself fired

Ebow1

Is there a private country club somewhere around you? Those kinds of places always seem to be looking for wait staff.

With his current coping skills, I can't imagine him surviving 2 minutes dealing with the type of uppity, pretentious pricks one usually finds in that sort of place.... ;)

J.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mosinon

I actually worked in one of those places. Blacks in back, whites were the servers. Play golf for free on Tuesdays.

Most of the people were okay. Honestly, we drank a lot of beer after closing while polishing the silverware with club soda so it was a little bit fun.

I got fired for repeating a joke. I was announcing the bingo thing (country clubs are full of old people) and I pulled B9. I said, and the joke was ripped off from some other guy, "B9, opposite of cancer. I bet everyone here wants to hear that!"

Apparently everyone there did not want to hear that.

And yes, if you sent something back for a trivial gripe we did lick (at least) your food.

IF you're in a country club you really don't want to know what happens if you're a prick.

BTW, the tips you leave go to the club, not to the server.

Is it just me or does this thread have you craving pizza?

Get the door...

dominos-pizza.jpg

No, because Domino's pizzas really and truly suck.

ebow, it may suck, but until you have skills that mean you can't be replaced by some grunt for minimum wage, don't expect to be treated well. It's just the way of the world - make yourself valuable and thrive or suck it up and deal with it.

In all honesty, based solely on your posts here, I imagine you'll have a hard time working for anyone and your age (maturity, or lack thereof) will likely continue to play a role in that.

Edited by crimsonaudio

I can't say this with complete certainty, but to me the majority of a person's character flaws stem largely from their upbringing, how they're raised, and how good of a job their parents do. Discipline, manners, and respect need to be both taught and shown to children at an early age.

You know, sometimes the raising just don't "take"...

Accepting That Good Parents May Plant Bad Seeds

I'm certainly not saying that parenting ( or lack there of ) is never the reason, but the fact is, some people are just :D, no matter what kind of job their parents did raising them.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Thought about it... then decided I'd try to be nice for a change.

... and I tell ya, it was a strain, to say the least. :D

J.

Remember back a while I said something about I alway get a laugh from you, and you said something that I wouldn't always find it funny when I realize you are being serious. Don't hold back. We don't expect you to hold back.

Myself I other then the small schools I went too, my summers I grew up with out really any kids my age, so I ended up around adults most of the time so pretty much had to good, not like kids today. This is not directed at you Ebow1, more of I seem to understand more of where Jamie's points are coming from, he reminds me of people I grew up around, when **** is broke, fix it.

I will defend private country clubs, worked at a few of them.

Most of the members are not pricks, rather they always seemed extra nice. Treat them well and it was always returned.

Tips at some clubs are grouped together and come back to employees in the form of Xmas bonus or just plain tip splitting.

Some clubs the tips go right in your pocket, obviously if they tip on their bill it goes though the club payroll office.

Christmas time was always lucrative. Lots of cash getting passed around.

And one big benefit of working at one is the many of the members are business owners who actually hire employees. Imagine that, wealth creating jobs. One of the things club managers always have to deal with is their best employees being stolen by members. Do a great job and you will get noticed. Anyway thats how I got my present job. And I know many other people who have traveled the same path to a job I did.

Ebow, sounds like you will come out of this okay.

I read the entire post! All I have to add is that those with a decade or more of experience working in the corporate world have given good advise. I would advise against attempting to start your own business without a decade minimum in a customer service related corporate job in which ou have sucked your way up in the company by following company policy as dictated by your immediate superior. I say this from a bit of personal experience as I retired from 37 years of working in a right to work state for a major corporation that specialized in customer service. In my earlier years my parents owned their own business so I was familiar with the problems with that and decided the positives did not offset the negatives and eventually corporations will run mom and pop businesses out as they can not truly be competitive.

Government Small Business loans are a suckers bet and result in being in debt for life.

Don't hold back. We don't expect you to hold back.

If I didn't hold back at least some ( a whole lot, actually ), I wouldn't last a day around here...

... especially when certain people post their particular brand of idiotic, narrow-minded nonsense. :D

You folks will never know how many times I've typed up a rather lengthy post in reply or response to something... read it, re-typed it.... then deleted the whole thing and just moved on to something else.

Maybe some day this whole "politically correct, don't hurt anybody's feelings or tell 'em what sort of moron they really are" crap will have gone the way of the dinosaurs and I'll be able to say whatever is on my mind at the time.

Until then though, I think I'll just keep certain things to myself. :D

J.

I will defend private country clubs, worked at a few of them.

I've only had experience with 2... one of which I never worked for, nor even set foot in, but knew and had dealings with a large number of it's members... The other is local, I know most everybody who's a member there ( and have for 30 years or more )and have done work for either the club or the members... And they, unfortunately, fit the description I gave earlier. They just aren't the kind of people I can work for, so I'm thinking Ebow probably wouldn't stand a chance.

( If it wasn't for the fact I was working for a sub-contractor, I'd never have taken the jobs I've mentioned. I could never work directly for some of 'em without that buffer between them and me and wouldn't even try. )

Different sorts of people in different places, I guess... :D

J.

If I didn't hold back at least some ( a whole lot, actually ), I wouldn't last a day around here...

... especially when certain people post their particular brand of idiotic, narrow-minded nonsense. :D

You folks will never know how many times I've typed up a rather lengthy post in reply or response to something... read it, re-typed it.... then deleted the whole thing and just moved on to something else.

Maybe some day this whole "politically correct, don't hurt anybody's feelings or tell 'em what sort of moron they really are" crap will have gone the way of the dinosaurs and I'll be able to say whatever is on my mind at the time.

Until then though, I think I'll just keep certain things to myself. :D

J.

You should send those posts to me for a quick proof reading. I can "approve this message."

Jamie:

I agree with you about the current PC attitude. As this country is currently transitioning from a patriarchal society to a matriarchal society which I would refer to being a MOMMY state there will have to be a drastic event happen before people understand the need to be able to be independent again. It will take a SHTF event as the transition point has passed.

As far as writing post and deleting them! YES!

Daniel:

Would it be out of line to tell you that I have grand children by marriage that are older than you. In 1976 I adopted a 5 year old grand daughter from my stepson and his ex wife. there was a few years difference in age as I became a grandfather at 27 years old when I married my 3rd wife who started having children when she was 14 and married at 15.

I will add that Queen was a favorite group of mine.

I figure people get to read about one word out of every ten I type... And I'm sure some folks'll say that's one word too many.

An example of that would be Daniel's post above yours... I typed up three different versions, trying to figure out how to say "No thanks, I don't need an editor other than myself" without sounding like an ingrate...

In the end, this'n'll have to do, 'cause I wasn't happy with the previous attempts... and that after having wandered off for a minute or two to think about it.

J.

I've been in and out of this thread, probably read most of it. IMO the OP should try a stint in the military. Military training has been known to take some inmature kids and turned them into mature adults..........That is if they made it through basic training.

oldogy

Guest mustangdave
I've been in and out of this thread, probably read most of it. IMO the OP should try a stint in the military. Military training has been known to take some inmature kids and turned them into mature adults..........That is if they made it through basic training.

oldogy

Oldogy....I would agree...however I have seen a fair share of em make it to the FLEET and then we'd have to deal with em...with the exception of the Marine's...they tend to coddle folks in bootcamp anymore...sad really....very sad.

I have a nephew that completed his tour and came out as bad or worse than when he went in. He still thinks the world owes him a living. His employment record was months at a job if that and he left the country thinking things are better over seas. I do not even want to know what he is up to now.