Need some advice

Guest Tiki Jane

Guest Tiki Jane

I want to get a semi-automatic rifle. What I'd like is a caliber that could handle deer and, should the need arise, zombies. I'm middle aged so I have some limitations as far as my resiliency is concerned (my shoulder has sustained injuries over the years, mostly from falling off horses and being pulled by over eager hound dawgs!).

I understand the semi auto is a little easier on the shoulder than the bolt action and I admit I would prefer something that might handle multiple rounds and is reliable.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the short answer earlier Tiki....I was in a bit of a hurry this morning. Truthfully, the AR-15 or AK-47 would really be perfect for the conditions which you describe. Neither hardly have any recoil.....the .223 is almost like shooting a .22, just much louder and much more powerful! The 7.62x39 has just a bit more recoil, but not much. If you only had one rifle, and you wanted it for hunting and self defense, and you didn't want much recoil, then one of these two would fit the bill perfectly.

Go with an AR15 of some variant that looks good to you and you can handle with ease. Light recoil with a full load and can drop deer and zombies with ease.

And a huge plus is that you can get a .22 conversion kit for it and shoot very cheaply for practice.

There's a whole host of rifles that fit your description. A few questions questions...

1. Do you want a "tactical" style rifle or a traditional style rifle?

2. Preferred cartridge? .223 being the smallest and ??? being the largest?

3. How much do you want to spend?

4. Do you really want a semi-auto rifle or just a bolt action with a magazine?

If your primary intent is for hunting, keep in mind that most states require magazine capacity no greater than 10 rounds, which means special mags for most tactical style rifles. The AR platform has, by far, the most options as it chambered in all manner of cartridges in addition to .223. Beyond those: SKS, AK-47, AK-74, FN FAL, M1A, Garand, M1 Carbine, MIni-30, Mini-14, Remington 7400, ... the list of options is very long.

Guest Tiki Jane

Peejman, good questions. Thanks.

1. I don't really care. I like the look of both - "tactical" when I'm in a Jack Bauer mode and "traditional" (like lever action cowboy) for those John Wayne moments. So either one is fine. I want the one that is easiest on my shoulder.

2. Again, recoil is a factor. .223 and .243 are appealing for that reason, but then I need to figure out how far I'll be from my target, right? That impacts my choice, right?

3. We're hoping to stay around $500 to $700 dollars.

4. The semi-auto keeps popping up when I mention recoil and use as a self-defense weapon (easier to keep loaded in zombie attack).

Thanks for the input!

Edited by Tiki Jane
Guest BEARMAN

+1 for the Ruger Mini-30...cheap ammo, low recoil, great defense rifle, lots of accessories & plenty of knock down power, for both 2 legged and 4 legged critters...and best of all...it's cheaper than the AR's.

Edited by BEARMAN
added info.

Ok.... up to $700 still gives lots of options. High-end AR's are out, but beyond that, there's lots of options. Sounds like you need to visit a few gun shops and see what's out there. Semi-auto rifles tend to be heavier than their bolt-action counterparts. The weight helps with recoil but you also have to lug it around. Not a big deal for me, but some it is for some.

.223 is ok for deer if you're a good shot, coyotes, etc. Personally, I'd go with .243 or larger. I like my SKS. 7.62x39 has plenty of energy but the 9+lb rifle soaks it up nicely. It's easily "minute of paper plate" accurate to 150 yds. Quality polymer tipped hunting loads are available as is cheap mil-surp plinking ammo. And they're cheap, half the price of a Mini-30. It's my hunting/zombie rifle (at least until I get my FAL built).

You might also find (or build yourself) the classic M4gery. Piece part AR's are within your price range but you're looking at $800+ for a higher end one.

The AK-47 and AK-74 are also options. Most AK's are excellent "spray-n-pray" weapons. You'd need to find a nice Saiga or Norinco built one for satifactory accuracy (IMO).

• 1 month later...
Guest Tiki Jane

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. After shooting a bunch of rifles and taking a realistic look at my budget, I did find an nice little AK that seems to fit the bill! I'm having a blast shooting it and it makes me look good (I hit the target with it!)

• 3 months later...
Guest justinlinkes

i think i would find a browning BAR in .243 if i really thought i was going to deer hunt with it otherwise the AR PLATFORM is probably best in my opinion