ADVICE ON HOLSTERS FOR SMALL WOMEN

Guest countryfirecracker

Guest countryfirecracker

Im 5'3 and I weigh about 98 pounds. anyone have any advice for a good holster or a good way to carry my gun? Cause I hate to walk in some place with it just standing out big time. But im afraid because im so small that maybe my problem. ANY ADVICE?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
Im looking at a Kahr K40 or S&W m&p 40c

Both great choices. My wife has a Kahr PM9. She loves it. Carries in the smartcarry or in a Galco Stow-n-Go. Carries in front of her right hip, over where her appendix is. Thus...it's called 'appendix carry'.

Guest Halfpint

Might want to talk to Kristin (my GF, KimberChick on here) Sunday. She ordered a holster basically just like mine, but she's a southpaw. Right now she carries a Glock 26 in a Don Hume JIT slide, when her holster comes in she'll be carrying a Kimber Pro Carry in a Mitch Rosen ARG, right behind her hip.

. . . I better not bring her holster up again, though, she's already itching at the wait time . . . :devil:

:lol:

Guest KimberChick
Might want to talk to Kristin (my GF, KimberChick on here) Sunday. She ordered a holster basically just like mine, but she's a southpaw. Right now she carries a Glock 26 in a Don Hume JIT slide, when her holster comes in she'll be carrying a Kimber Pro Carry in a Mitch Rosen ARG, right behind her hip.

. . . I better not bring her holster up again, though, she's already itching at the wait time . . . :devil:

:lol:

Yep, I tried his on and it snugged a 4" 1911 right up on my hip nicely. No gap in the back. You can't wear a super tight shirt with it, but you also aren't left to draping yourself with a bedsheet to cover your gun either. When it finally comes in (the end of October!!!!1!1!1!1one) I'm going to take some pics with some different clothes for a thread here.

The JIT slide is ok if I've got a coat or hoodie on over it. My whole waist/hip area is the wrong shape for how it rides. I have a large gap between me and it no matter what pair of pants I wear or what belt I use. It also doesn't help that the Glock's shaped as though it's a reincarnated cinderblock.

Guest countryfirecracker

Ok well i have alot to think about then. :rock: Im hoping that i can find one thats works good for me. Hoping one of these suggestions works.

I'm not a big fan of purse carry, but that's how my wife carries hers. I really like the Galco side snap scabbards. It gives the gun a forward cant which is really good for concealment. Alot of people say "the bigger the gun the harder to conceal", but that's not true, it's how WIDE the gun is. I'm a tall thin framed guy and I can hide a 5" 1911 or a Kahr CW9 no problem, give me my XD9SC or a Glock...it sticks out to much for me.

Inside waistband carry is going to offer the closest hold and most concealment, outside waistband is going to print unless you wear a loose shirt. Whatever type holster you get just remember that is only half the battle, invest in a GOOD gun belt. 5.11 or a Maxpedition Liger belt is what I have and I love both.

Guest countryfirecracker
This thread isn't what I thought it is at all. I was about to point out that it doesn't matter how small the woman is trying to cram her into a holster just doesn't have a good ending.

ha ha, good one, lol.

Im just trying to find the right holster for me. lol.

Guest countryfirecracker

I am going to probably invest some good time and money into the right holster. But it depends on the gun i end up choosing.

Guest FiddleDog
My wife swears by the Galco purses.

Ok Gregintn...that's just crazy. i've seen pics of your work...your holsters are awesome. What gives?

I really love my Crossbreed Supertuck! I carry a KelTec P11 in it with a K&D Leather gun belt. It conceals very nicely. K&D also makes a convertible IWB/OWB holster called a Thunderbird Defender that I also highly recommend if you want to go with all leather (vs. a leather/kydex hybrid like the Supertuck). Also, I second what Punisher said about getting a good gun belt (but totally disagree with him about purse carry....BAD idea, please don't!!!). Just make sure the clips on the holster you get match the width of the gun belt so it doesn't move around on you. ;)

Guest countryfirecracker
I really love my Crossbreed Supertuck! I carry a KelTec P11 in it with a K&D Leather gun belt. It conceals very nicely. K&D also makes a convertible IWB/OWB holster called a Thunderbird Defender that I also highly recommend if you want to go with all leather (vs. a leather/kydex hybrid like the Supertuck). Also, I second what Punisher said about getting a good gun belt (but totally disagree with him about purse carry....BAD idea, please don't!!!). Just make sure the clips on the holster you get match the width of the gun belt so it doesn't move around on you. ;)

Yes i rather stay away from purse carry. I would prefer a good nice leather gun belt. Thanks for the help.

Looks like i have decided to go with the Kahr K40.

• 2 months later...

I worked at a gun store for a few years as a part-time job while I was a LEO and the woman who was part-owner of the store carried her firearms using a small-of-the-back holster. She was very petite and she always said that the SOB rig was the only one she could carry comfortably without printing terribly under her clothing. Specifically, she wore this model of holster:

Galco SOB holster

Also, while looking up that link, Galco has a page called "Women's Top Picks" that you may want to look at.