Hunting Instruction for Women

Guest Tiki Jane

Guest Tiki Jane

I would like to learn to hunt (deer mostly). It's something I've wanted to do since I was a little girl, but had no one to teach me. Is there an organization in TN (I'm in southern middle TN) that might offer women's classes or hunter safety classes? I don't mind being in a class with guys, but a specific women's group would be nice. Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not specific to women, you have to attend this course to get a hunting license... Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency- Hunter Education

There was a thread here with a group that wanted to learn... http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/hunting/44265-i-know-nothing-about-hunting.html You might also surf through the "stickys" in the hunting forum.

I work with a bunch of avid hunters whom I also consider friends. Surprisingly, I've found it difficult to convince any of them to "show me the ropes". Our 2nd child is due around Christmas, so that'll pretty much rule out this coming season anyway.

I've hunted deer since I was 12 years old. If you lived in East TN, we could get together and I could teach you a lot! If I were you, I'd watch as many hunting videos as possible. You can learn a lot from those.

These days there are so many high tech gadjets that hunters use.....trail cams, portable deer blinds, etc., etc. I really think that a lot of that stuff is just plain overkill. The main thing you need to do is go out in the woods before deer season and spend some time "scouting." All that means is that you go out and look for deer activity and try to see where they're eating, where they're sleeping, and how and when they're traveling. Look for trails, look for scrapes and rubs, and look for deer! ;) After you figure out how , where, and when they're moving, then you decide on a good spot off a commonly traveled trail (intersections are great!) or food plot where you can set up your hunting spot (whether it be a blind, a tree stand, or just a nice seat on the ground with a good comfy tree for your back rest). Make it at least 30-40 yards from where you think the deer will be. You'll want to clear away some of the sticks and leaves on the ground where you sit so you don't make noise if you're going to be on the ground. Launder your hunting clothes in that no scent Hunter soap and use the earth scent dryer sheets or hang them outside to dry. Take a shower with hunter soap, even use it on your hair, and don't put on any deodorant or anything. Use a good cover scent....I prefer Earth scent or you can use something like fox or coon urine if you want. Then get yourself one of those easy no brainer "doe in a can" bleat calls. Use this call sparingly! Once or twice every 30 minutes is enough! If the bucks are in rut (when the does are in heat), get some doe in heat urine, put some on a cotton ball and place it where you would like the deer to stop for the perfect shot. Get out to your hunting spot before first light if you can - and settle down for the long haul! Pack your lunch and bring enough liquid for the day. Bring a couple gallon ziploc baggies (and some toilet paper!) to "go to the bathroom" in if you have to....that way the deer won't smell you. I like to spend the whole day out there....from sunup to sundown if you can. Don't be like the other hunters and go in for lunch.....surprisingly, that happens to be a great time for the deer to be moving. If other hunters are in the woods and walk out for lunch, they can actually do you a favor by scaring up the deer so they'll move....hopefully your way!

This has been my method of deer hunting for many years, and there's only been a couple season's that I haven't filled my tag. It works....just be patient and very still and quiet, and don't give up!

The main thing I would research very well is how to read deer "sign," so you'll know what to look for when you go out scouting. Oh, and you'll need to know how to field dress (gut) a deer. You need to do this right away, in the field, so the meat won't get tainted. If you happen to have a gut shot (where the intestines are busted) or you accidentally bust them when your gutting the deer, just clean it out the best you can and get it to a creek, pond, or back home and wash it out with water really good. This has happened to me a few times and as long as you get it cleaned out really well within an hour or two, the meat will be ok. You can soak venison in buttermilk or white vinegar overnight to get the gamey taste out before you cook it too.

Good luck to you! I think it's aweome that you want to learn how to hunt btw!!! :D

Guest Tiki Jane

Thanks TCLouis. That link didn't work, but this one did and I signed up.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Becoming An Outdoors Woman/Beyond BOW

P'Mama I wish I did live closer! I'm down in southern middle TN, not too far from the Alabama border. Hubby and I have decided to start small, on squirrel and such close to us. We've been talking to some local friends about mentoring us, but seems like fewer and fewer folks can find time to go hunting.

So much to learn!

Edited by Tiki Jane
Thanks TCLouis. That link didn't work, but this one did and I signed up.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Becoming An Outdoors Woman/Beyond BOW

P'Mama I wish I did live closer! I'm down in southern middle TN, not too far from the Alabama border. Hubby and I have decided to start small, on squirrel and such close to us. We've been talking to some local friends about mentoring us, but seems like fewer and fewer folks can find time to go hunting.

So much to learn!

Hunting squirrels is easy, just set up a couple of bird feeders and wait. Many a squirrel met it's end in my backyard when I was a kid.

Guest clownsdd
While not specific to women, you have to attend this course to get a hunting license... Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency- Hunter Education

While a good idea, Tiki is outside of the range that "requires" the course, due to her age

"Tennessee Code Annotated 70-2-108 became law in 1985 and states:

(a) Every person born on or after January 1, 1969, before hunting, shall possess, in addition to all other licenses and permits required, proof of satisfactory completion of an agency approved hunter education course…

If you were born on or after January 1, 1969 you must possess proof of successful completion of a hunter education class before hunting in Tennessee. "