EPA wants to ban lead ammo!

New report out today:

NSSF

EPA Considering Ban on Traditional Ammunition — Take Action Now

August 25, 2010 By Larry Keane

All Gun Owners, Hunters and Shooters:

With the fall hunting season fast approaching, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under Lisa Jackson, who was responsible for banning bear hunting in New Jersey, is now considering a petition by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) – a leading anti-hunting organization – to ban all traditional ammunition under the Toxic Substance Control Act of 1976, a law in which Congress expressly exempted ammunition. If the EPA approves the petition, the result will be a total ban on all ammunition containing lead-core components, including hunting and target-shooting rounds. The EPA must decide to accept or reject this petition by November 1, 2010, the day before the midterm elections.

Today, the EPA has opened to public comment the CBD petition. The comment period ends on October 31, 2010.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) — the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industry — urges you to submit comment to the EPA opposing any ban on traditional ammunition. Remember, your right to choose the ammunition you hunt and shoot with is at stake.

The EPA has published the petition and relevant supplemental information as Docket ID: EPA-HQ-OPPT-2010-0681. If you would like to read the original petition and see the contents of this docket folder, please click here. In order to go directly to the ‘submit a comment’ page for this docket number, please click here.

NSSF urges you to stress the following in your opposition:

* There is no scientific evidence that the use of traditional ammunition is having an adverse impact on wildlife populations.

* Wildlife management is the proper jurisdiction of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the 50 state wildlife agencies.

* A 2008 study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on blood lead levels of North Dakota hunters confirmed that consuming game harvested with traditional ammunition does not pose a human health risk.

* A ban on traditional ammunition would have a negative impact on wildlife conservation. The federal excise tax that manufacturers pay on the sale of the ammunition (11 percent) is a primary source of wildlife conservation funding. The bald eagle’s recovery, considered to be a great conservation success story, was made possible and funded by hunters using traditional ammunition – the very ammunition organizations like the CBD are now demonizing.

* Recent statistics from the United States Fish and Wildlife Service show that from 1981 to 2006 the number of breeding pairs of bald eagles in the United States increased 724 percent. And much like the bald eagle, raptor populations throughout the United States are soaring.

Steps to take:

1. Submit comment online to the EPA.

2. Contact Lisa Jackson directly to voice your opposition to the ban:

Lisa P. Jackson

Administrator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW

Washington, DC 20460

(202) 564-4700

Fax: (202) 501-1450

Email: jackson.lisa@epa.gov

3. Contact your congressman and senators and urge them to stop the EPA from banning ammunition. To view a sample letter, click here.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HvyMtl

EBA? Oh EPA...

And it is a request (petition) to the EPA, not their actual action on it. IT is a bold attempt to get an Administrative ruling on it to bypass the Courts and the Constitution...

It was reported today the Cass Sunstein (one of Obamas Czars):lol: is trying to ban lead bullets through regulation in the EPA. (Lead is bad for the environment). This regulation will circumvent congress due to the fact no vote or review will be held.

The sham behind this is they are not attacking the 2nd ammendment, you just won't be able to get bullets for your guns.

These guys will not stop.

Guest mustangdave

from what I've read on other forums...lead free ammo is a fact of life out in Commi-fornia....the do-gooders got a head start out there

Guest 1817ak47

sounds like they might try to do any and everything they can to make it difficult for everyone to shoot and load guns if they can't take the firearms out of existence.

kinda like nfa items, they could ban them they instead attempted to make them to costly for most anyone to legally own

Guest Tygarys

This is just great, the ammo supplies are just getting back to normal. Now there may be another ammo rush/shortage like after Ofail was elected. :lol:

This is just great, the ammo supplies are just getting back to normal. Now there may be another ammo rush/shortage like after Ofail was elected. :)

Makes sense to me. Kill one of the few booming manufacturing enterprises in the whole country.

This administration is consistent, I'll give 'em that.

- OS

Guest Tygarys
Makes sense to me. Kill one of the few booming manufacturing enterprises in the whole country.

This administration is consistent, I'll give 'em that.

- OS

You mean the only industry that they can rightfully claim they stimulated? :)

My Dad used to fight w/ the EPA on a daily basis and spent much time in DC regarding chemical emissions. He would always come back in frustration and say; lawyers and politicians run the EPA. He said what they needed was, chemists, engineers, biologists, etc. that actually understand what implications will result from new rules and regs. However, it is a government agency and that would make too much sense…………….

Don't bother attempting to contact Ms. Jackson, either by phone or e-mail, you'll just waste your time. The regulatory process expressly forbids EPA to consider any comment, petition or letter on a requested or proposed rulemaking that isn't submitted through the docket process.

Be aware that this is simply a petition for EPA to consider, it's not a rulemaking in and of itself, nor even a proposed rule.

Here is the petition and attachement:

http://www.epa.gov/oppt/chemtest/pubs/ABC%20Lead%20petition%20cover%20letter%2008%2003%202010.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/oppt/chemtest/pubs/Petition%20Attachment.pdf

EPA acknowledged receiving the petition on August 18:

http://www.epa.gov/oppt/chemtest/pubs/EPA%20Letter%20of%20Receipt_Pb%20sec%2021%20petition_8.18.10.pdf

Here's the link to submit a comment directly:

Regulations.gov

Or you can go to <!-- w -->www.regulations.gov<!-- w --> and enter the search term "EPA-HQ-OPPT-2010-0681"

Time to go to wal mart and scare the guy at the counter again with me buying about 300 dollars worth of ammo. I can't dump that much on ammo right now, i've had to many dam bills this summer. I just got paid and this check should dig me out of the hole I got in.

Buy until he says I hit the imaginary limit then have my wife buy more.

Or drive it home and go back and try to buy more. I would love to be told no, to which I would ask nicely for a manager.

I've heard "Oh don't worry it will never pass" before.

I don't trust anyone in DC. Every time "The One" says one

thing he does the opposite. He didn't earn the title "Liar in chief" for nothing.

November can't come soon enough. Then 2012.

God help us till then.

I think 4 year terms are 2 long.

I think we should speed things up, 1 year terms with a max of 8. :)

Lets put the government on the fast track instead of cruse control

wait, then some will say but they can't do anything in 1 year, well seems they can't do anything in 2 years or 4 years either.

I remember some people saying when Obama got elected they would not want to be President right now because of how bad things are.

I was just the opposite. I said this is the best time to be president because there is so much room to make improvements.

If you inherit that job when everything is roses and you mess up, you are horrible, if you inherit a mess and fix it, you are great.

If you inherit a mess and don't make any improvements what so ever, you Obombed it.