walter p99

Guest Chandler

Guest Chandler

I have been looking to switch up my carry gun ... and I keep coming back to the Walther P99 .......

just curious has anyone shot this gun and what are their impressions?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chandler

I have messed around with the S&W version and was not impressed , but the german version is just so much better for some reason(s) .

Know where I can get one online for cheaper than Franklin Gun shop?

Guest pherman926

I own one and I really like it. It shoots very well and the ergonomics are very good. The interchangeable backstraps help find the right fit and feel for you. Mine is an older model and I believe some changes have been made to the trigger action so you might want to do some research on it.

All that being said, I'd trust my life to it.

The last CDNN catalog had the .40SW version new for $439

We have had every size and caliber of XD in classes. They simply do not run well. The 9mms run better than the .40 and .45 but still have many issues. We have yet to have an XD get through a class without 30-50 or more malfunctions in the 1,000 rounds. That is too much for me.

Out of the many XDs we have had in class the last couple of years all but one owner replaced their XD with Glock the day after class ended.

I would not carry an XD unless I planned on beating people to death with it.

I've had 3 XDs, with a combined round-count now of over 10k... zero malfunctions, even during extended sessions without cleaning or intentional limp-wristing. The mags have been dropped in the dirt many times and then reloaded, when doing drills at the outdoor ranges.

On the other hand... The last time I rented a Glock (21), the darn thing had a FTE in the middle of the second magazine.

The 'reliability' debate is inconclusive. Though there are nay-sayers on all sides. Truth is, most 'duty' pistols made by the big-names are more than adequate for carry and/or severe use. Likewise, any pistol can be made to malfunction under certain conditions. If we only went by 'sanctioned' torture-test competition results, say by the military, we'd all be carrying Sigs, H&Ks or Berettas...

In terms of the Walther P99... the real German guns are phenomenal, esp the 9mm AS versions. Very accurate, and have well-placed controls. I would own and carry one in a heart-beat... and always have my eyes open for a good specimen to take home.

+1 Molon - The military chooses weapons (now) based on some seriously strenuous torture test. Not just our military, but many police agencies across the globe are carrying Beretta's. Why? They are reliable. Forget the reports that you hear from Iraq now. That is not a case of the weapon being inferior but of the magazines being "old" and probably needing to be replaced. Think about it. The majority of military arms spend the majority of their time under lock and key with out being used. The M-16's at Basic are used to death, but once a soldier, seaman, airman, Marine gets to a duty station, their time on the range greatly decreases. Especially in the AF and Navy. The weapons are not used frequently or cleaned and the magazines wear out. I would love to see the military have a "open" range day where you (an active duty service person) with a valid qualification card, could go to the range and "borrow" a weapon and put as many rounds as you wanted through it. Maybe they could do something like have you bring your own ammo for it but that would definitely ensure that the guns are working properly when they are needed. Maybe a fee to clean them if you don't feel like doing it afterwards, but that would just be spare duckets in the armorers pocket.

I've got 6-7k rounds through my abused as hell XD-9 Service. Dirt, grit, not being cleaned, my limp wrist prone father, and wearing it in a thigh holster while crawling around on sand and dirt at a scoped rifle competition one weekend and the XD has never malfunctioned on me. My magazines have all been dropped several times onto dirt while doing speed reloads, hell, the gun itself got dropped a few times when I was teaching a friend how to shoot it. It keeps on going. Glock makes a fine set of weapons, but they feel wrong in my hand, so I don't carry one.

Now, if I were to change my carry gun, I might consider an H&K USP Compact .45ACP since the Johnson City PD carries fullsize USP45s. (=

Guest Archimedes
umm okay... but i asked what is your choice of pistol? aren't pistols defensive weapons?

Well, depends on the situation.

If you are not military or LE, then I would say yes, defensive. (Though, in military and maybe LE, a handgun would not be the first choice for an offensive.)

I think Yeager has made it pretty clear that Glocks are the way to go, though he might say go with what you are gonna actually carry.

Bottome line....carry SOMETHING and know how/when to use it.

~Archi

umm okay... but i asked what is your choice of pistol? aren't pistols defensive weapons?

I use Glocks in 9mm but there are plenty of other brands that work. I thought folks could figure it out because I have a Glock as part of my company logo. Sorry.

The offensive/defensive nomenclature is a mindset issue. I teach "Fighting Pistol" instead of "defensive pistol" because so many people that carry guns think that handguns are strictly a reactionary tool. They aren't. No matter who started the fight if you don't finish it quickly you will be injured. Just because somebody else started the fight doesn't mean you won't be pressing the attack.

I am not some troll who is here to talk poorly of your weapons choices. Nobody has to like what I say but what I say does need to be heard. I will not be insulted if anyone chooses to ignore my posts.

Personally, except for the 1911, most of my guns are or will be in 9mm. It was the first thing I ever really shot, and the thing I like the most. Reason for sticking primarily to one caliber? I don't want to have to worry about which round I am picking up if I am having to reload a magazine in a hurry when (if) the zombie hoards come a calling. The Glock and Beretta that I own both have solid reputations. Do they have 1 shot drop? With the right type of rounds and shot placement, ALL guns can have a 1 shot drop. If you are shooting a doped up crack head in the leg with a .45 you will probably slow them down a good bit, but if you hit them in the heart with a .380, he won't be walking long.