AR - LAR 458 Im In Love!

JeffsSig

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the base cartridge for the 458? What did they reform or cut down to make it?
Don't think there is a parent.

.458 SOCOM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From TEPPO JUTSU:

The .458 SOCOM was developed by Marty ter Weeme, founder of Teppo Jutsu LLC in 2000. The impetus was an informal ("beer and barbeque") discussion with a senior member of the US special operations community regarding the apparent lack of effectiveness of the 5.56 x 45 cartridge in recent conflict. In particular, the reports from members of Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia that multiple shots were required to neutralize members of the opposing force led to the request to develop a new cartridge that would deliver far more energy from short barrels at relatively short distances. After the design was completed, Tony Rumore of Tromix Corp in Broken Arrow, OK was contacted to build the first prototype. Based on the favorable reviews, commercial production was started and the initial rifles were produced by Tromix. Currently, several firms offer rifles or upper assemblies in this caliber, including AR-15s, AK-47s, single shot and bolt action rifles.

The only case that has the proper base diameter and rim diameter is the .425 Wesley Richards, which runs about $4 a piece. Any other brass will not have the proper rim size, either too large or too small. In a pinch, you could form .458 SOCOM from .50 BeowulfTM but the rim would be smaller. The initial prototype brass bore the .50AE head stamp and this has caused some confusion. The SOCOM case is 1.575" long, the .50AE is 1.290" so therefore, you CANNOT form the SOCOM case from the AE case.

.458SOCOM is definitely my favorite BOOMSTICK ............ but I roll all of my own ammo for it.

Here are a few of the best threads going until 458 Forums is back up and running

Youll find some great material here ........... the original .458S from Marty at Teppo Jutsu

Teppo Jutsu : Advanced Firearms Applications

Also, take a look at AR15.com under the AR15 forum / Varients ............ all the info you need to know along with reloading data and where to purchase items .458SOCOM specific can be found under various .458S threads.

I run an RRA .458 16" Carbine on an RRA 2-Stage NM Lower. At this point, I purchase bulk Starline Brass and bulk Rem .300 GR JHPs to keep costs down. I plan on going to the Barnes .300GR TTSX next. I use unmodified 30 Rnd PMAGs which each hold 10 rounds of .458S at my loaded overall length.

The guys at AR15.com were a tremendous help in getting me up and running and there are countless ways to reload the .458 to suit your needs.

I picked up my upper a while back from a private sale. If you can reload it's definitely the way to go!!! They claim you can get approximately 10 reloads out of a new casing if pressures are maintained properly.

Enjoy ...............

th_100_0727.jpg

Edited by FIRERESCUEO2
  • 1 month later...

Jeff has his dies now and we are both waiting on the next production run of uppers. Marty Ter Weeme also purchased 458socomforums.com recently and is in the process of bringing it back to life so the information can again flow freely.

I can give anyone interested loading information for the most common bullets and powder out there. I need to get a run of 300 grain TTSX done once I get the upper as that is probably the best hunting round currently available. The 450 grainers I got will need some work as Marty ran them on Quick Load for me and I can't get enough powder in the case using H110 to make those big honkers open up and mushroom. At this point they are just big hole makers.

• Admin Team

Man, I'm watching this thread for pictures. It's hurting me almost as much as it's hurting you.

I'm in the process of having Marty and the guys at Teppo Jitsu build me an upper. I know that's going to be a while, so I'm wanting to see someone else get theirs.

Did you tell Marty you knew me MacGyver? If not......good! LOL it will probably keep your costs down.

Marty is a fantastic craftsman and all around good guy. Don't forget to ask him to put a Socom case gauge in the box with your upper. An extra 25 bucks well spent for your reloading.

(He also has Redding Dies in stock at ridiculous prices)

Just out of curiosity... How much are ya'll saving by building the 458 yourself instead of ordering from RRA with an ACE stock, Hogue grip and ambi-controls? If it's about the same, I'll probly order direct since I don't have a lower.

Anxious... :)

FOUND A FEW IN STOCK HERE

UPPERS: http://www.pkfirearms.com/Rock_River_Arms_Barreled_Uppers/57/c

RIFLES:http://www.pkfirearms.com/Rock_River_Arms_Rifles/94/c

List with prices of IN STOCK items as of right now ............

Rock River Arms .458 SOCOM CARBINE A4 Upper

Rock River Arms 16" chrome moly barrel with 1/14 twist rate. Carbine-length free float handguards, varmint style gas block and A4 flat top receiver.

Complete with bolt carrier assembly and forged charging handle.

Our Price: each $688.00

Rock River Arms CAR A4 - 458 SOCOM Rifle

Rock River Arms 16" Wilson bull barrel 458 SOCOM chamber. Free float tube forearm and front gas block. A4 flat top receiver. Complete with bolt and forged charging handle. Available only in A2 buttstock.

Copy of FFL Required for purchase.

No Sales to California.

Our Price: each $1,040.63

Rock River Arms MID-LENGTH A4 - 458 SOCOM Rifle

New release from Rock River Arms - .458 SOCOM Rifle with Mid Length Gas system. 16 inch barrel 1/14 twist and A4 flat top receiver. Free floating aluminum hand guard, light varmint gas block with sight rail and A2 flash hider (5/8-32 threaded). A2 stock - pistol grip and RRA 2 stage match trigger.

Copy of FFL Required for purchase.

No Sales to California.

Our Price: each $1,064.00

I've ordered uppers from PK before ......... quick ship and good to go ....... check in often as their inventory changes frequently. If it's listed as "IN STOCK" they have it!!

Edited by FIRERESCUEO2

That one Upper wont last long at PK.

We do not have enough available to fill your order.

Rock River Arms .458 SOCOM CARBINE A4 Upper

You tried to purchase 2 when we have 1 available.

Be sure to select one of the options below before you continue shopping: