AR - LAR 458 Im In Love!

JeffsSig

Guest Scramasax

You can look at my upper, please don't drool on it. As you can see I already have one thumper, just couldn't resist a brother. I have an Ace hammer stock for it.

Cheer,

ts

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want in on this caliber so bad I can't stand it! There's folks on another forum that use cast boolits for this cartridge with amazing results. I have been toying with the idea of taking up deer hunting next season but I lothe the idea of buying a dedicated deer rifle. Tell me this in an AR wouldn't be the cat's meow inside 150 yards!???! I'm saving, that's all I'm saying, I'm saving up cuz I thinks I like it!

Guest adamoxtwo
I want in on this caliber so bad I can't stand it! There's folks on another forum that use cast bullets for this cartridge with amazing results. I have been toying with the idea of taking up deer hunting next season but I lothe the idea of buying a dedicated deer rifle. Tell me this in an AR wouldn't be the cat's meow inside 150 yards!???! I'm saving, that's all I'm saying, I'm saving up cuz I thinks I like it!

Maybe if you only want half of the deer to eat. :lol:

300 grain remington jacketed hollow points work very well on deer. Your essentially using a 45-70 or 444 Marlin ballistically. Barnes also has a 300 grain TSX that is a fantastic round for this caliber. I'll be loading them soon as well. You shouldn't need a follow up shot but you can sure get one down range quick if you need to.

If one of you was the one that called me at the shop today, post up. I have your name and number on the board in back waiting on the next shipment.

• 1 month later...

I finally got to get one of the uppers that have come through D&T (Dave has two more ordered...show up and get your name on one NOW).

I put her together Tuesday night and got to shoot her today. The specs, standard Rock River Arms 458 Socom upper with aluminum free float handguard. Midway lower from right here in Tennessee. Rock River 2 stage trigger, Rock River Operator stock, Hogue rubber grips, no name bipod, Leupold Mark AR 3x to 9X optics with Weaver mounts.

Shooting 350 grain Moly coated SBR Ammunition FMJs as I haven't had a chance to do any reloads. Zerored in three shots and then did some gratuitous hydro dynamic exercise shots as I didn't have any cinder block or other heavy material to pound on. Enjoy.

IMG_3660.jpg

Sorry, I'm tired and apparently have forgotten how to embed the videos...Links are good though.

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k131/Rtwinger/?action=view&current=MVI_3652.mp4

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k131/Rtwinger/?action=view&current=MVI_3653.mp4

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k131/Rtwinger/?action=view&current=MVI_3654.mp4

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k131/Rtwinger/?action=view&current=MVI_3655.mp4

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k131/Rtwinger/?action=view&current=MVI_3656.mp4

Edited by Rightwinger
I put her together Tuesday night and got to shoot her today...I didn't have any cinder block or other heavy material to pound on. Enjoy.

]

Aww, c'mon man! Shot it today? When? Where? Bah!

I've got a safe we can shoot at. :)

Should have a lower parts kit on the way from the Trading Post for mine. :)

I shot it down in Wayne Co after helping a buddy get the nice bird and coming home with nothing for me. Sunday's in the near future look like great opportunities for safe cracking.

Got some better pictures of the stick down at the shop but never got time to upload them Tuesday night. I'll post them up tomorrow night.

When you getting your upper?

Looks nice RW. Glad you have your baby back!

Blake Ill be more than happy to do a trigger for you. Just let me know I have a few laying around out of Rocks and Stags.

You can then just send me yours and swap.

• 6 months later...
I shot Mike's a few weeks ago. Interesting amount of recoil. Not as much as I would have thought. It does make a distinctive sound when fired. We were like a forensics crew looking for spent brass in the yard. LOL!

It kicks a LOT harder when you push the loads a little