AR - LAR 458 Im In Love!

JeffsSig

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PK seems to have them when others do not - so keep checking every few days. I picked up the carbine version just before the mid-length came out ........... I might just buy another .458 upper one of these days - but a mid-length next time so I can compare.

Just trying to help out the fellow TGO members looking into the .458

When I purchased mine it was much more difficult to find the brass than it was to find the rifle or upper .......... now the beast has caught on and keeps on growing.......... get one if you can, they are a lot of fun.

No sir .......... as long as it is a mil-spec lower, drop it in and run with it. I used a standard .223/5.56 RRA trigger and then went with the 2-stage NM later on. No effect other than a nicer trigger on 2-stage.

Quote from Teppo Jutsu -

The .458 SOCOM was designed to fit any mil-spec lower. Thus, any of the lowers out there that meet mil-spec should readily accept the .458. No modifications should be needed to your lower and no negative effects to the lowers have been reported.
Edited by FIRERESCUEO2

The only thing I would add to Firerescue's info is you should look at having a solid stock (A2, Ace, RRA Operators like on mine) or a lockable collapsible as the recoil is a bit more substantial than with the 5.56. There have been incidents where a standard 6 position stock has "collapsed" during firing causing issues for the shooter. The worst one I heard of was the fellow had a pretty thick beard that had to be field trimmed to allow him to extract himself.

The only other thing I have had to do on some magazines is tweak the feed lips to allow for a more aggressive "upward" angle of the round to allow better feeding on the 300 grain Remington JHPs I use for hunting. That consisted of taking some needle nose pliers and raising the forward edge of the feed lips just a hair. I've also dremeled some half moon cuts in the front of the mags to allow for easier unloading. Other than that, what you have in your current AR selection will work for the big bore 458. Just get you an upper and go shoot!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pictures??? Come see the one in the shop at D & T !! Buyer is supposed to pick it up Saturday but we have it on display till then and if he doesn't show up, well...

Also have a case gauge and some Corbon Ammo for the beast as well. Swing by you folks in Mid TN and take a look at big bore AR goodness.

Here's a crappy picture of the monster anyway.

Photo0854.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You could probably charge some advertising fees from Magpul on that one guy!

Super nice stick though. You weighed that rig yet though? With that heavier Socom barrel and that PRS, that thing won't have a chance to put any recoil on you, it's absorbed by the gravity well your creating by all that mass on your shoulder!!

If no one buys the one in the shop by the 12th...Mine will be set up. I gotta let the masses have a shot at it first (hint hint).

Mark AR 3-9x is also on the way and will arrive about the same time. Mine won't look as cool though as I'll have the plain free float barrel.

But then there are always upgrades...right?

• 2 weeks later...

I zeroed my first Socom ( a custom build with a Pac Nor barrel) at 100 yards with one shot. I used the Rock River Arms one piece scope mount and it was dead on with the first shot. That left enough room with a 3x-9x scope to easily move it out to 200. The ballistics on this round are similar to the 45-70. Longer ranges are possible. There were pictures on the original 458 Socom Forum of a fellow down in Texas that had put ladder sights on his and he was ringing a 12 inch gong at 700 yards. Now the rifle looked like an artillery piece and was pointed near 40 degrees to launch the big projos that far but it will reach out there if needed.

It's not designed for long range. It was designed after a bull session over beer and steak by an engineer and some military guys during SandBox One. Guys at check points were tired of 5.56 not being effective against heavier targets such as moving vehicles at check points or behind the stone walls of Iraq. This was designed to give the guys some punch with only the change of the upper. Uses standard AR mags and buffer system. You can get 100 grain aluminum hollow points that will scream out at 4000 feet per second or load 600 grain subsonics and use them with suppressor systems. My two favorite loads have been the 300 grain JHPs and the 405 grain SPs. I also loaded Barnes solids but never got to test them for effect. ( I shot most of them at a brake rotor at Bronker's place one summer).

For you Nashville area guys, we have one on layaway at D&T right now you can look at and we have three more on order from RRA. One of those is spoken for but you can be number 2 or 3 for the next ones. I can also assist anyone with load data and dies as the cost of loaded factory is still high enough to warrant the cost savings of reloading.

Jeff, I want more info on that trigger! Maybe I'll put a Rock River two stage up for sale if you can convince me it's that much better with your current setup.