Bow hunting advice

I need some advice. I have hunted whitetail for several years with both muzzleloader and modern gun, I thought I might try something new.

I am 60 years old and have never shot a bow in my life. Now, bear in mind that I am looking toward next year, not this year. Point me in the right direction. What compound bows should I be considering?

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KimberChick

I'd highly recommend finding a local archery shop over a department store if one is available. There's a higher probability of correct fitment(and tips on form and such) with an independent shop whose existence depends on customer service. It's even better if they have a range. That'll provide a good opportunity to work on good form.

I'm glad to hear you want to start practicing and preparing now. I can't tell you the number of guys who'd come into the places I've worked who want to start bowhunting the Friday before opening weekend, lol.

FWIW, I'm partial to Martin stuff. Mathews isn't bad either(I can remember the first one of those that came to the local shop and how they sold faster than they could get them in, lol)

My last experiences with Bowtech and Diamond weren't good enough to impress me much. I put a number of sets of replacement limbs on them at a place I worked part-time a few years back. That issue might be resolved by now however.

Edited by KimberChick
Now, bear in mind that I am looking toward next year, not this year.

You've received a lot of good advice and suggestions ^^

Why not this year though? Mastering a compound is NOT HARD - Takes a bit of practice, but you have plenty of time till deer season.

The HARD part of bow hunting is that you have to get close to the deer to kill them.

Another fun aspect of deer hunting that sort of mimics bow hunting without all the *stuff* is deer hunting with a pistol. You still need to get close but you don't have all that other stuff to lug around and then deal with while dragging a deer through the bushes.

I love it :)

I'd highly recommend finding a local archery shop over a department store if one is available. There's a higher probability of correct fitment(and tips on form and such) with an independent shop whose existence depends on customer service. It's even better if they have a range.

Yep. I stopped by a local store today just to find out I have a 32" draw. It's not enough that I've spent my entire life looking for shoes & boots in size 16 and pants with a 36" inseam, now I have to dig around for a bow with a longer draw than most manufacturers offer. :D

Guest KimberChick
Yep. I stopped by a local store today just to find out I have a 32" draw. It's not enough that I've spent my entire life looking for shoes & boots in size 16 and pants with a 36" inseam, now I have to dig around for a bow with a longer draw than most manufacturers offer. :D

Daaang stretch! lol! Most stop at 31", keep looking around though. I know Martin has made bows that can be adjusted up to 33" with the proper cam module.

I know Martin has made bows that can be adjusted up to 33" with the proper cam module.
Hoyt has a nice line of long draw bows.

I'll have to check with those manufacturers. The guy at the archery shop said to check with PSE because they have a new model that goes up to 32". I did, and they do. For over $650! I don't think I'll have any issue paying that much - after I've been in the sport for a while and decide it's for me. It's tough convincing momma that I need to spend that much money on a bow when I've never hunted with one and may not like it.

Guest KimberChick

Check on ArcheryTalk (I think it's called that, lol) but they have lots of used stuff, and decent stuff. PSE used to be sketchy, they've gotten better, especially their stuff that's only available in pro shops. Some of the longer draw stuff will probably be a target model, but most manufacturers will make a black or even camo version of a target model.

Hoyt makes and excellent bow but you'll pay for it for sure.

A good local archery shop can be a super help. A bad local shop can be like a bad local gun shop, expensive and full of misinformation. Finding a friend to shoot with will help you more than anything. They can watch your form and help you make adjustments along the way. Too bad you don't live in Clarksville. We have a good local shop and I would love someone to shoot with.

You don't have to buy the most expensive stuff, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Archerytalk.com is a good source of information, but is also filled with pampas asshats. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe look into Traditional archery. A recurve or longbow is a great hunting tool. Lightweight & easy to carry & you can certainly be profficient in a year.

To be honest, it's a lot more fun that shooting with the wheels on! You don't need half the 'must have' gadgets, just a simple stick & string, a well matched arrow (wood, carbon or alloy, all are good!) & you're good to go! Yes, you're limiting your range to 20yds max (or so) but that's where th adrenaline really kicks in. I don't even begin to get a buzz these days until the animal's within 20yds.

Keep it simple & don't believe a thing you see on any of the hunting shows!

Why not this year though? Mastering a compound is NOT HARD - Takes a bit of practice, but you have plenty of time till deer season.

Two weeks? Really? It ain't that easy! I can take 2 or 3 months to get a bow & arrow combination properly tuned. Learning to shoot & shoot well cannot be learned in 2 months, let a lone a couple of weeks!