Handgun Carry Permit for use as an ID

Hadley22

I want to clarify a question about using a handgun carry permit to buy beer. I mistakenly used my permit as a form of ID at the titans game last night and was told this was not a valid ID to buy beer. I do not agree with this since it is issued by the state and contains the same information on it. I asked a Metro Police Officer about this and he did not know. I have a call into the state to clarify this issue, but i feel i will be waiting a while until i get a call back.

Does anyone have the answer?

Thanks,

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

It was always my understanding that as a state issued photo document it is valid for identification purposes. It is even cross linked with your TNDL (same id# on both).

I can say that as far as an expired ID, you may not change into a different person, but upon expiration it is no longer a VALID document, and the law says we have to see a valid ID before we can sell.

It was always my understanding that as a state issued photo document it is valid for identification purposes. It is even cross linked with your TNDL (same id# on both).

Mine too. Hell, if you can't use a HCP, why can you use a driver's license? Shouldn't we all be required to go and obtain a TN "Identification Only" card? :up:

Mine too. Hell, if you can't use a HCP, why can you use a driver's license? Shouldn't we all be required to go and obtain a TN "Identification Only" card? :up:

Anybody familiar with the ABC part of TCA? Meaning, does it specify what ID is acceptable?

- OS

TCA 57-5-301(a)(1)

...Prior to making a sale of beer for off-premise consumption, the adult consumer must present to the permit holder, or any employee of the permit holder, a valid, government-issued document, such as a driver’s license, or other form of identification deemed acceptable to the permit holder, that includes the photograph and birth date of the adult consumer attempting to make a beer purchase.

Seems to me that a HCP would be considered a valid form of identification.

Doesn't it say that the permit holder deems acceptable????? So, a permit holder (the retailer) determines what's acceptable . . . .

Touché. Hey, it's their business. If they don't want your money...

The OP said that he was informed it's "not a valid ID". It appears it's valid, just not "acceptable". :-\

Well, if you'd take out the "Strawberry Shortcake Association" and "Justin Bieber Fan Club" cards out of your wallet...

:up:

You leave Justin Beiber out of it..Sir!

Well the cashier at the bank that made me come in and give them a fingerprint to cash a check did not say one word about receiving mine as a photo ID last week.

Well she kinda gasped but did not ask for any other ID.

Just looked at it, compared signatures, got her fingerprint and gave my money!

I was just being an a$$ because they made me come in. I had my DL and school ID in my pocket.

Edited by Buzz87
Guest Mad4rcn

Tried to use my HCP as a second ID at Regions and Comtrust banks,and was told they do not recognize HCP as a valid form of ID.I reminded the lady at the counter that it was state issued, all she had to say was "I'm sorry,we can't accept it.".I told her it was all I had,she then cashed the check with no second form of ID....lol...go figure.

Tobacco Guidelines | TFCA - Tennessee Fuel & Convenience Store Association

What is Acceptable I.D.?

Acceptable forms of identification include the person's Drivers License, Tennessee I.D. License, Tennessee Hand Gun Permit, Military I.D. Card, U.S. passport and U.S. Immigration Card.

When a customer shows you a Military I.D., U.S. Immigration Card or U.S. Passport, be sure to:

• Check that the I.D. has not been altered or
    tampered with.
  • Compare the photo on the I.D. to the customer
    and make sure there is a reasonable match.
  • Make sure the physical characteristics such as
    eye color, height and weight stated on the I.D.
    match those of the customer.
  • Ask to see a second form of identification to
    verify the information.

The following forms of identification can be used to verify information on a U.S. Passport, U.S. Immigration Card or Military Identification Card:

Edited by vontar

Seems everything When I search for alcohol I find tobacco. But the IDs should be the same

Here is another site

Tobacco Guidelines | Tennessee Grocers & Convenience Store Association

What is Acceptable I.D.?

• Acceptable forms of identification include the person's Drivers License, Tennessee I.D. License, Tennessee Hand Gun Permit, Military I.D. Card, U.S. passport and U.S. Immigration Card.

Well everything I found (see page 2) , says it is legal, as well as a few other non common IDs. Most people prefer to be grey and not flash their HCP, however if I did use my HCP for legal ID and was denied I would be asking for a manager and getting a name. I would take it to a higher manager since it is legal.

You might should call a management for the place and voice your concerns with them. Had it happened to me I certainly would.

when I did retail wine and spirits, my main concern was verifying who I was selling to was 21 or older. I did not care of the ID was expired as long as it belonged to the customer.

I cannot imagine that a HCP is not a valid for m of ID.