New indoor range in Maryville, TN

Guest Boomhower

Actually, you can EASILY spend more than 500k on just the ventilation/filtration system. On top of that, add land, the building, inventory, insurance, utilities (500k AC systems cost ALOT to run), employee expenses, security system, permit fees, outfitting the range (computerized charging traget setup can run into the 10s of thousands of dollars), yada. Finally, your markup on the gun sales will have to be pretty low to compete with the big boys (Bass Pro, etc) and the Internet.

It aint for the weak-of-heart or the small-of-wallet.

Ain't that the truth! What's it cost? $500,000? Pocket change!!:cheers:
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent. An indoor range that allows rifles. My evil black rifles have been sitting woefully unused for the past few months. I might just have to check this one out. Thanks.

I've never seen an indoor range that allows any rifle other than rimfire of pistol-caliber carbine. I wonder if that is what they mean?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Boomhower

yeah, but the last time I was by there, they still hadn't opened. I'll have my wife check Monday, as she will be passing by there.

Guest nj.piney

i was at farnsworth firearms in vonore when they opened fire with a browning 30 caliber

light m.g. it is not unusual to see ak or high power rifles on the line . i have been told it was o.k. to use up to a 50 caliber , but im not sure . it is an indoor range. i have shot my 8mm there many times . no steel cored ammo allowed.

Edited by nj.piney
Guest Rccola

I went there last week and the range was pretty much done. The upstairs was emptied and they had had walls roughed in and ready for sheet rock. One of the owners said it would be a couple of more weeks. So about march 15th or so. I am actually going there tomorrow to get a membership i will let you guys know if they have updated their opening date.

• 1 month later...
Guest johnnyo

Gunny's is open for business. I went there twice last week to fire my hand gun. They are very nice. Keep in mind it's stilll under construction. One dislike so far due to being under construction there isn't a wash room near the range. Other than that the range is very clean and lit up very well.

In another post I read where it said to enter in the rear. That is wrong enter upstairs facing Broadway (old knox hwy). They have a few guns for sale now but are working on getting more soon. On Thursdays they have a bowling shoot. Oh BTW i also am not in cahoots with them. However I am a member.

happy shooting.

I might go there once just to see the place, that is if a member who lives in my neck of the woods invited me, lol.

Other than that I belong to a very exclusive shooting range. I am the only member so far but I can have guests if i want :rolleyes:

Guest Boomhower

You can go with me anytime you want Mike. Just give me a call. As long as you provide my ammo :rolleyes:......Seroiusly though, I ran over there today for the first time and the place is really shaping up. The range is just as johnnyo described, and is a nice facility with lots of potential.

The range fee is $15 a person, and $5 for each additional person, however I was told that a member +1 is also $5. And it just so happens that I bought a membership back in early Feb. and now that I am broke, it looks like I made a wise choice then.

Guest Phantom6

Below is a copy of an email I received from a guy that attended their carry permit class on 12 April:

just completed my carry class today and I think maybe some outdated or misinformation alcohol was presented. Your web site states that you cannot carry in a place that serves alcohol for on site consumption. My class stated that you cannot go into anywhere it is sold IE convienient or grocery store. I also read your version in a legally armed copy. Can you set me straight?

Granted, part of the confusion is caused by the shamefully poor 45 min. video the state requires us to show to the students because in that video it specifically states that you can not carry in ANY place that sells alcohol (video made pre-change in law). Apparantly the instructor hasn't watched the video that he has to make his students sit through or hasn't figured out that he needs to spend a little time correcting the obvious mistakes that the video makes. The alcohol thing is just one of those mistakes by the way. Jimmy Hester thumb-cocking a 1911 with his finger in the trigger guard is another glaring problem on the video. Below is my response:

Greetings Tim,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately for the program but more importantly for you and the other students of the class you took it seems that you received some mis-information in your carry premit class. Here is what the law says:

39-17-1305. (That is Tennessee Codes Annotated Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 section 05)Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served. —

(a)It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption.

Tim, attached to this message you will find a document entitled Handgun Carry Restrictions in Tennessee. In this we have attempted to take as much of the "legal speak" out in order to make it easier to read and understand for the average citizen individuals like you and I without loosing the meaning of the law. It is actually one page of an entire booklet that we print and provide to all of our carry permit students covering topics such as DryPractice, all the states which allow you to carry with your TN permit, combat mindset and criminal behavior, interesting places on the web, step by step instructions on how to complete your permit application process, and much more.

Unfortunately some folks that are supposed to be instructors just don't care. Others don't pay attention enough to know. Either way they shouldn't be instructing folks in something so serious. I hope they get their program straightened out before someone gets hurt or goes to jail.

I've heard that the facilities were nice though.

Edited by Phantom6
Guest Boomhower

Talk with them about it Mike. They are just getting everything started, and I'm sure any information would be appricated. Some might consider that helping out your competition, but I think this situation is a little beyond high school clicks.

Actually that alcohol information is pretty basic. It makes me wonder what else they are teaching, or not teaching in that class.

If I was an instructor not employed by them I do not think I would want to get very much involved in it.

I assume to become qualified as an instructor in HCP that one has to take classes that are properly taught. Where were these guys when the alcohol issue was being taught?

Guest Boomhower
I asked Tim to forward the info to his instructor since he knows him and I don't.

Thank you for doing your part Mike. You my friend, are a great american! :D

Guest mikedwood

Mike 357. I'll take you to shoot there if you wanna see it. It is a nice range.

As far as the carry class, the state needs to re-shoot that darn video. That is totally confusing and it took about 15 or 20 minutes of explaining and arguing and general mayhem for the instructor to get it across to the 30 of us in my class. (different instructor) He would tell them and half would get it and then a "but the video said...." and then more explaining, half more get it, "but the video said", half more again, till most got it.

The class needs updating in general and from what I can gather it's a fine line between teaching exactly what the state requires and crossing the line where nothing counts.

I'll tell them about the error tomorrow if I go shoot stuff. I was going to go to Coal Creek but, ahh it's a short drive from my fishing spot and such a worthy cause.

As far as the "Carry Permit" badges, "South Clinton Pawn" has some. In his defence he does have a pretty nice collection of guns and very good prices.

Guest Phantom6

As far as the "Carry Permit" badges, "South Clinton Pawn" has some.

When we at Austin's Tennessee Firearms made the decision to open our gun shop in Oak Ridge we, as many other retailers have done, looked into the idea of stocking the carry permit badges. After careful consideration and since we consider ourselves on the cutting edge we opted to go with what we believe to be the ultimate in carry permit identification. Would a little ol' badge be good enough to meet the needs of our demanding customers? No way! That's why we chose to offer an entirely revolutionary concept in carry permit ID. Ladies and gentlemen we offer you the future-

-

-

-

-

-

carry_car.jpg

Each Official Permit Holder Carry Car comes complete with a carry permit badge in the glove box (nothing else would fit) as shown here-

carry_badge_g02_F.jpg

-

-

For those truly discerning clients we offer a credentials case made of rich, Corinthian leather (unlike the seats in the car) for a slight additional cost-

-

-

100d2ccwgld.jpg

All of this and more available now and coming soon to a gun show near you

NOT!

Well, at least we hope not.

:P

Edited by Phantom6
Guest Phantom6
You, my friend... have even more time on your hands than I do. And that's saying something. :P

I did it all over my morning cup of coffee. With the right tool in the right hands, be it a good firearm or Photoshop CS2, one can be very creative very quickly. :P

• Administrator
I've never seen an indoor range that allows any rifle other than rimfire of pistol-caliber carbine. I wonder if that is what they mean?

On Target in Murfreesboro, TN allows rifle calibers on two lanes of their indoor range. The only restriction is that you can't shoot rifle calibers on Sundays.

Guest mikedwood

Awesome Phantom! You are right, a badge just isn't enough, but a badge and a tactical response vehicle, it looks electric also, being green with a permit and everyone that sees you knows. To cool.

Nice job on those. I bet they would sell if you had them. Especially malls buying for their ninja forces.

On a serious note? Do you have a store in Oak Ridge?

And Gunny's rifle range is up to 30-06 and only the last 4 lanes, the rest are pistol.

Guest Phantom6
Awesome Phantom! You are right, a badge just isn't enough, but a badge and a tactical response vehicle, it looks electric also, being green with a permit and everyone that sees you knows. To cool.

Nice job on those. I bet they would sell if you had them. Especially malls buying for their ninja forces.

On a serious note? Do you have a store in Oak Ridge?

And Gunny's rifle range is up to 30-06 and only the last 4 lanes, the rest are pistol.

Yep. We are located at 154-A Talmeda Rd. behind Tod's Matag which is on the Turnpike below Jackson Square. The hours are 3pm -7pm M-Sat. Come by and have a cup of coffee or a coke and let's talk about your "wish list".