Anyone into ATVs?

56FordGuy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have not bought yet I would advise you to buy one that is water cooled. I burned up the engine in a little suzuki 4x4 I had a few years back that was air cooled. If you are gonna be doing slow moving work with it I strongly encourage getting a water cooled quad.

I have two Polaris quads. One is a Scrambler 500 4X4 and the other is a Trail Boss 325. I am not sure what a lot of miles on one is. Neither of mine have odometers.

The Scrambler is a death machine, bad fast. And I have never seen a trail it could not go up. The only downside on it is the lack of a low gear. The 325 is a nice rider. Both of them can do work. I have drug and hauled a lot of stuff around in the woods with the Scrambler. Both are automatics.

If you are getting one mainly to work with make sure it has a low gear in it. And I would also stay away from a two stroke motor. If headlights are important make sure they are not molded into the body but rather on the shaft the handlebars are on. That way you can better see as you turn. I also recommend racks on the front and rear. They are great for utility and also act as a roll bar(sort of) if you ever flip one. I know the racks on the Scrambler saved my butt from more serious injury one time.

There have been lots of improvements in the things lately, since mine were made. Power steering, independent rear suspension. Both great features.

Mike, you should go out with us up to Royal Blue sometime. We're in slow Jeeps, but we clear a big path. :)