TGO Marine

323ssplt

Guest Keinengel
Infantry has a high turnover so E5 and E6 can be acheived fairly quickly. Some make E8 quickly but most hangout as E6s for a long long time.

That makes sense. I intend to go for OCS and then the Corps of Engineers after College so I'll never reach E-6 so to speak.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you "New Corps" Marines can comment on something I've noticed. I was an E5 Sgt the last year of my 4 year enlistment. That would have been mid 1972 when I got out and I turned 21 that same month. It seems now the Marines are older with a lower rank. Like an older looking E4 with two hash marks. Granted there are screwups and demotions for whatever reason, but is rank harder to get now? Are the serving Marines just older?

Cherokee Slim

In the 90's and early 2000's when i was in promotions were somewhat slow, I was promoted to Sgt at 3years and 6 months but there were lots of Cpl's who re-enlisted and later on were promoted. Also it depended on what MOS you were in, some specially admin ones promoted faster than the ground combat elements like mine. when i was a PFC there were Sgt's with close to 10 + years and not because they were ****bags but becasue promotions were slow.

Guest canynracer
Hey Joe, I like the Army too, hell my wife is in the Army, so I guess I have too...lol

and as for me, because my dumbass didn't say in the original post

USMC 1999-Present 0261, 0311, 0317, 0369, 8531, 8541 and 09something or other (whatever the hell my MOS is for CMC, can't remember right now, too much beer) and too damned many units to recall.

All that and you're still a pretty S.O.B.

Tell the wife I said HI!!! Hope she is still enjoying the 1911...

And to the rest of you...and everyone serving in any branch...Thank you for your service!

0311. Signed up in '91, came out of boot an E-2 thanks to a meritorious promotion and thought I was on the fast track. Got showed the hatch thanks to a back injury in '92. I still have never applied for disability after all of these years in spite of being encouraged to do so by the VA. Just never felt like I earned it.