Just curious, are our PM's really PVT?

Guest Letereat!

Guest Letereat!

I just got to wondering after asking about the botcrawlers. Are we to also assume that even PM's are not really private? Nothing to hide at all, just wondering. Do these messages get quadruple proxy routed in separate encrypted packets then stored on individual Mass storage devices one letter to each drive or something? What’s the deal on this?:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is private on the internet ... nothing.

There are mods/hacks an administrator can apply to forum software that will access PM's.

Whether it is applied here ... I don't know.

Current technology, search engines and web browsers now have the ability to track every mouse click you make on the internet.

Not a joke and proceed accordingly.

Guest Verbal Kint
There are mods/hacks an administrator can apply to forum software that will access PM's.

Whether it is applied here ... I don't know.

:D

I can assure you it's not. There are 1,986 active members, out of 8,571 total. If you think any of the Admin/Mods have even the slightest interest of peeking in PM's, then sorry... but you (not specifically you) are a freakin' loon. The staff has enough on their plate trying to wrangle the open forums and keep everything in line, they don't go looking for additional work or drama by eavesdropping on your notes to each other.

Yes, there are "mods/hacks" out there to allow viewing of said private messages, but forums usually only implement them if there is an obvious illegal action taking place and they need records of such transaction for the proper authorities (i.e. some **** is openly discussing said activities, other users alert the staff to said **** msg'ing them about activities, etc -- probable cause).

Think the tinfoil hats are starting to cut off some circulation. Might want to buy another roll and re-wrap. :tinfoil:

I saw this issue spiral out of control on another forum awhile back and really cause some hard feelings.

The bottom line is that this is a private forum and you have no expectation of privacy. The owners here can read everything you write and can give that ability to Mods or whoever they choose.

Do they? I guess only one person can answer that question.

Guest TargetShooter84

As a moderator of auto forum, the Admins DO have the ability to access the PMs as they wish, anytime, without your permission, whenever they feel like snooping around within reason, basically, you are using the site's services therefore you have agreed to privacy statements upon registration that Admins, Law Enforcements and any federal authority reserve the right to view your privacy such as PMs anytime they wish upon a valid reasoning.

That's how it works on the forum I'm a moderator at.

On here at least the Admin does, but not Mods. But also as Verbal Kint said, the sheer volume on here would really prevent any snooping...shoot Dave can barely find time to post?

As to the actual question, I think....I'm not sure if webots/spiders can search through the PMs or not.

You have certainly put yourself on the 'read me' list now by starting this thread! :popcorn:

It's kinda like when Jr. comes inside the house and Mom looks at him and without any further provocation he yells out "I wasn't doing anything!" Which just gives him away :D

:popcorn:

I can assure you it's not. There are 1,986 active members, out of 8,571 total. If you think any of the Admin/Mods have even the slightest interest of peeking in PM's, then sorry... but you (not specifically you) are a freakin' loon. The staff has enough on their plate trying to wrangle the open forums and keep everything in line, they don't go looking for additional work or drama by eavesdropping on your notes to each other.

Yes, there are "mods/hacks" out there to allow viewing of said private messages, but forums usually only implement them if there is an obvious illegal action taking place and they need records of such transaction for the proper authorities (i.e. some **** is openly discussing said activities, other users alert the staff to said **** msg'ing them about activities, etc -- probable cause).

Think the tinfoil hats are starting to cut off some circulation. Might want to buy another roll and re-wrap. :D

I don't have to roll and rewrap, I am a moderator on another forum with admin priveleges. This forum was purchased by vertical scope of motorcycle dot com fame.

One of the first hacks they installed is PM Workbench and locked out the admins and mods.

Do a little bit of research and check out the capabilities of that little hack.

Second, assuming that all your tracks on the internet are recorded is not "foilhat" territory. They can even track where you are located if you surf using your mobile devices and some companies are using this capability to quite successfully to monitor their employees.

Third, if you are at work, rest assured that most major companies are tracking internet usage, you will be quite surprised at the level of detail they record.

Finally, in one of my masters classes ... wonder what field is my masters ... I had a classmate that worked for a three letter agency and he commented that the paper I wrote on this very subject and asked him to critique is not far off base. My son is finalizing his PhD in Computer Science and makes a living off of this chit.

So saying that I wear a tin foil hat for making the statements that I did is uncalled for and quite ignorant and rude.

Whether David has PM Workbench installed in VBulletin or not is none of my business. I don't care and my behavior and what I write always assumes that kind of software is available and installed. It is common sense to proceed and guard your behavior and words accordingly because they will come back to haunt you.

These are my last words on this subject.

Edited by Currently
Guest Letereat!

Thanks to all I was just pondering out loud. I gotta stick with Verbal Kint and Currently on this matter. Look all you want To whoever wants to I got nothing to hide anyway. I consider the issue resolved.

Shutter Down DAVE before the madness starts.:popcorn::tinfoil::D

Guest Verbal Kint
My son is finalizing his PhD in Computer Science and makes a living off of this chit.

That's cool... my dad's a pharmacist... but I don't go writing scripts or issuing drug advice. :)

And -I- do have an IT background, both academically and as a military network admin. While my Bachelor's may be in Psych & Counseling, now, I assure you I'm well versed in the technology field. Even ran a few vB forums myself, before. You're not enlightening me on anything ground breaking or new to me.

Now... if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go stay at a Holiday Inn Express and pursue a new career in Aviation.

of course they arent private 1 day out of the year. they mods and admin go through them all and gather all the good ones and make one big post showcasing them for everyone to see on xmas eve. its like their little gift to us to bring us some xmas cheer and amusement.