Comcast Email Hosed

A couple of days ago, all of a sudden, I quit getting any emails from TGO to my Comcast email account. All other email seems to be working to that account. I briefly changed to my business email and all was well. Switched back to Comcast, and didn't even get the verification email.

So... is there something cheesed up with my account on TGO, or did Comcast block TGO?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I have had comcast block email addy's, and my emails have been intermittently blocked by other ISP's. Maybe that is not your problem, but it is a possible explanation. I program cooperatively with folks from several nations, so when the ISPs start blocking spam sources, it sometimes messes up our communications. Usually the blocks only last awhile.

I had a problem a while back sending through Comcast. It was two weeks before I knew for certain that my e-mails were not going out. I contacted them and gave them 48 hours to rectify the problem, or I was going elsewhere. They admitted they couldn't fix it, so I just quit using the account and set up another. I still have that address, but it's not for anything important. I wouldn't trust them.

I had a problem a while back sending through Comcast. It was two weeks before I knew for certain that my e-mails were not going out. I contacted them and gave them 48 hours to rectify the problem, or I was going elsewhere. They admitted they couldn't fix it, so I just quit using the account and set up another. I still have that address, but it's not for anything important. I wouldn't trust them.

I've had the account for years, and it has been rock solid. Probaby time to grab a gmail account just for TGO. I can't leave it on my business account.

I've had the account for years, and it has been rock solid. Probaby time to grab a gmail account just for TGO. I can't leave it on my business account.

I've never had any problem with Comcast email. Though my main POP email is from my own domain, I use the Comcast SMTP for all outgoing.

This prob from TGO is unique in my experience.

- OS

• Administrator
I've never had any problem with Comcast email. Though my main POP email is from my own domain, I use the Comcast SMTP for all outgoing.

This prob from TGO is unique in my experience.

- OS

Comcast is a pain in the butt for a lot of forum admins because of how heavily they filter their email based on a number of criteria that pertain to mail routing, IP addresses, server masking and other things forum users are never privy to. I've fought this with them off and on over the years and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Typically it will work for a little while and then they'll crank down the screws on their spam filter some more and once again our mail stops going through.

When you look at the emails our server sends out, it's pretty easy to see how they could look like spam to an unintelligent mail filter. They are always the same format, they use very general terms and they read like a form letter. Duh, right?

I've spent hours of my time trying to fix this before. I just don't have that kind of time to devote to one ISP's quirky email problems. If you're not getting email from us at Comcast, use Gmail just for TGO stuff. Sorry but that's the best I can do right now.

Comcast is a pain in the butt for a lot of forum admins because of how heavily they filter their email based on a number of criteria that pertain to mail routing, IP addresses, server masking and other things forum users are never privy to. I've fought this with them off and on over the years and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Typically it will work for a little while and then they'll crank down the screws on their spam filter some more and once again our mail stops going through.

When you look at the emails our server sends out, it's pretty easy to see how they could look like spam to an unintelligent mail filter. They are always the same format, they use very general terms and they read like a form letter. Duh, right?

I've spent hours of my time trying to fix this before. I just don't have that kind of time to devote to one ISP's quirky email problems. If you're not getting email from us at Comcast, use Gmail just for TGO stuff. Sorry but that's the best I can do right now.

David,

Comcast has been pretty helpful, but I'm a little stuck. Here's the page to request that an IP be unblocked.

https://www.comcastsupport.com/sdcxuser/asp/frameset.asp?mainframe=%2Fsdcxuser%2Fasp%2Fcomcast%5Fblockedprovider%2Easp%3F

Can you see the bounced Comcast emails? They need an IP address, and I'm not sure how to find it.

BTW, I explained that TGO never sends unsolicited email, for whatever that's worth.

David,

Comcast has been pretty helpful, but I'm a little stuck. Here's the page to request that an IP be unblocked.

https://www.comcastsupport.com/sdcxuser/asp/frameset.asp?mainframe=%2Fsdcxuser%2Fasp%2Fcomcast%5Fblockedprovider%2Easp%3F

Can you see the bounced Comcast emails? They need an IP address, and I'm not sure how to find it.

BTW, I explained that TGO never sends unsolicited email, for whatever that's worth.

Well, 72.44.88.31 is the IP of the server, but it's shared. May even be an IP shared by more than one hosting puter, not sure.

That's the prob with shared hosting, as it could well be another site on the shared computer that has caused the prob with spam or whatever, and the hosting company may not have been exactly on the ball to smack down the offender.

Years ago, even with shared hosting, you generally got a dedicated IP from most companies, but hosting companies started using other ways to point to different domains on same server a long time ago.

My point being, and David would have to confirm, I think that the whole IP covering x numbers of domains on that computer would have to be blocked or unblocked?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest tnxdshooter
Well, 72.44.88.31 is the IP of the server, but it's shared. May even be an IP shared by more than one hosting puter, not sure.

That's the prob with shared hosting, as it could well be another site on the shared computer that has caused the prob with spam or whatever, and the hosting company may not have been exactly on the ball to smack down the offender.

Years ago, even with shared hosting, you generally got a dedicated IP from most companies, but hosting companies started using other ways to point to different domains on same server a long time ago.

My point being, and David would have to confirm, I think that the whole IP covering x numbers of domains on that computer would have to be blocked or unblocked?

- OS

I am not David but I can answer this question. It is a YES!

- OS

From Comcast:

Thank you for contacting Comcast Customer Security Assurance. We have received and reviewed your RBL removal request.

Below each IP address you submitted in your request, we have included the result of our research. Please do not reply to this message.

We have received your request for removal from our inbound blocklist. After investigating the issue, we have found that the IP you provided for removal is currently not on our blocklist.

We need the IP address currently blocked to further investigate this issue. The IP address is a number separated by decimals and is located in an error code starting with "550" in the returned email from Comcast. You can learn more about how to identify a blocked IP by visiting our Frequently Asked Question page at :

http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=SecurityMail_Policy18667

Please verify the IP(s) and resubmit your request to http://www.comcastsupport.com/rbl

Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

Frustrating. Not gonna get it fixed without the bounced email.

From Comcast:

....Frustrating. Not gonna get it fixed without the bounced email.

Well, only David and/or hosting company techs could get to bounced mail.

Here are headers from email sent from TNgunowners.com to me at my domain, when changing email:

72.44.88.31:58282 seems to perhaps be the exact identifyer? Maybe try that?

(I excised my own email/domain name).

-------------------

Return-Path: <nobody@server.roningrouptn.com>

Delivered-To: (me)

Received: (qmail 31693 invoked by uid 78); 13 Sep 2010 01:16:29 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO cloudmark1) (10.49.16.95)

by 0 with SMTP; 13 Sep 2010 01:16:29 -0000

Return-Path: <nobody@server.roningrouptn.com>

Received: from [72.44.88.31] ([72.44.88.31:58282] helo=server.roningrouptn.com)

by cm-mr20 (envelope-from <nobody@server.roningrouptn.com>)

(ecelerity 2.2.2.41 r(31179/31189)) with ESMTP

id 19/2F-23300-D6B7D8C4; Sun, 12 Sep 2010 21:16:29 -0400

Received: from nobody by server.roningrouptn.com with local (Exim 4.69)

(envelope-from <nobody@server.roningrouptn.com>)

id 1Ouxem-00043G-VM

for (me); Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:16:28 -0500

To: (me)Subject: Action Required to Verify Email Change for Tennessee Gun Owners

X-PHP-Script: www.tngunowners.com/forums/profile.php for 67.187.116.71

Auto-Submitted: auto-generated

Message-ID: <20100913011628.928720f6ab23@www.tngunowners.com>

MIME-Version: 1.0

X-Priority: 3

X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:16:28 -0500

X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report

X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - server.roningrouptn.com

X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - (me)

X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 99] / [47 12]

X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - server.roningrouptn.com

------------------

- OS

That's real similar to the header I already sent them. From my limited knowledge of IP, 58282 is the port number, correct? I'm thinking David had the right idea. Open a Gmail account just for TGO, and cut my losses with the Comcast idiots.

I will make it a point to tell them "thanks for the lip service, you suck"

That's real similar to the header I already sent them. From my limited knowledge of IP, 58282 is the port number, correct?

Far as I know, yeah, but that may well be what differentiates the different domains all running under same IP?

I'm thinking David had the right idea. Open a Gmail account just for TGO, and cut my losses with the Comcast idiots.

Yeah, should work for now, but who knows what is going on?... this new "attack site" report suggests that there's some Bad Things happening within the server farm that houses TGO, and that we may continue to see some "guilt by association" type probs with email or access itself.

- OS