TGO only Fighting Pistol course in Camden TN (May 26-27)

Shane,

Take it easy kiddo...we haven't had any sort of cursing or anything like that on here and I really wouldn't want to see it again, if you please.

Shay, James and all the rest of us post our threads and make comments about them..for good or ill, we all get along, regardless of the others' views.

Name calling is NOT acceptable, bud. I have alot of respect for Shay and some of the instructors there at that course...but I'm sure you'd call me the same thing if I said that the LAST person I'd want in combat with me is James Yeager...this is my PERSONAL preference..and James respects it....as I respect and applaud his school! He's put together a great team of guys with lots of experience...but here, we respect each others' views even when they get under our skin. He knows that I'm free to take a flying MONKEY into combat with me if thats what gets me through...and I know that to take his course is probably the best idea if you want valid techniques that will get you through a gunfight with skin intact. What you Don't see is name calling and crass remarks like the one you made.

Mutual respect is what makes this a great place.

Please don't change that.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shay VanVlymen

I posted the student reviews because I thought members here who are interested in taking training from us (or elsewhere) would like to read other students' experiences in their own words. What better place to post those reviews than in an already existing thread about our training?

If you missed the deleted posts then everything that happened after that may not make much sense and Shane's and DeeZee's responses may seem out of line. I wasn't going to address any of this because the original questionable post and DeeZee's response were deleted but now it's all back in the open so here we are.

Okay, gentlemen, let us dispense with the name calling and get back on topic. While I don't agree with some of the things Mr. Yeager has done in the past, he is offering training at a reduced price to the members of this forum. This is "noble" of him in his own way and I hope anyone that takes the training together can use it as a time to put faces to names, and get some camaraderie out of it. You might learn something or you might come away feeling like The Terminator and Rambo rolled in to one.

I, Brian Taylor, think Mr. Yeager's actions under stress were deplorable at best, what I think of him does affect my views of his organization, but that doesn't change the fact that he is "trying" to help others out.

How we react to stress is something that no one will know until they are put in a specific situation. As has been mentioned, some battle hardened combat veterans have frozen in the face of aggression, where green rookies have come through shining examples to be held with high esteem.

I know Mr. Elder from another board, and I know people on that board that have been in high stress combat situations that have stated beyond the shadow of a doubt that Mr. Elder could watch their back any time. Could this all be Internet Bravado? Sure, but to date, none of Mr. Elder's actions have made me question his knowledge or ability to impart that knowledge on other people. I cannot say the same for Mr. Yeager, but he does seem to have a good crew that work with him.

Hornet, your comments are the exact type of thing that is not necessary here. Name calling will not be accepted, there is no place for it, we are all adults (or at least should be according to the terms of agreement) and should be able to express our view with out having to stoop to school yard antics.

Shane - hearing about something and seeing it for yourself are two totally different things. I heard that you were a weak-kneed weekend warrior, does that make it true? Did you actually see the post? I did, and while I don't always agree with what Mr. Elder has to say, the points he made were simply that TR appeared to be spamming this thread. Was there anything wrong with that statement?

Shay was taking the moral high ground and I commend him for that. He and I have spoken about the "spam" by TR and he actually created a new post of other training facilities that he would recommend could some one not afford to go to or have the ability in other ways to attend one of the TR classes. Others should have followed that approach.

I am not a moderator. I wouldn't want the headache, but until recently, there have been no outright "flame" wars on this board, and I for one don't want to see them start.

TGO is a great forum with a lot of good active members with much to contribute. We will disagree from time to time, but the name calling and stupid arguments need to stop. It's okay to disagree, but to stoop to this level, well gentlemen, it is unbecoming of gentlemen and southerners.

Brian Taylor

(there, I used my real name. Happy now?)

must..... not.... partake... in..... the.... madness...!

Argh!

Oh well, everybody's gotta vent sometime... And goodness knows that we all have put our foot in our mouths more than once, even if not here. I sure have.

We're all here for information, and to give our opinions about it... sometimes that information makes us look good, and sometimes that information makes us look bad. Sometimes the information is skewed or incorrect. Sometimes the information is documented.

I don't mind a bit of sparring... it's a good way to find out where everyone stands, so long as we can keep from having blind tantrums and closed minds. Heck, I don't even care if those who think that I'm an idiotic ass-hat tell me so... This is just the freaking internet.

I really enjoy keeping in touch with the few people from here that I have met, and those who I intend to... all good guys (and gals). I think we each already know who are our friends, and who aren't. But for goodness-sakes, this is not the place to make enemies.

saintsfan put it really well... the only thing I would add, is that the PM system is a great tool for resolving issues without creating unnecessary drama... Some spats shouldn't take place on the board where the public can read it.

This is a great site, let's keep it around... not denigrate it to the level of PDO.

• Administrator

Well now... see what I get for sleeping in late? :meh:

Guys, as Marswolf has said, there is an understanding between me and Shay and the other instructors at Tactical Response that it is absolutely OK for them to post about training in this Training forum. The only communication that I have ever had with Tactical Response was a month or two ago when I asked them to please be considerate of others and not beat folks over the head with "Training! Training! Training!" at every turn.

A few of our members had asked me to talk to them about it, so I did. Not because I think it's a bad idea to get training, to encourage others to get training, but because a few members felt like they couldn't discuss simple recreational shooting or procurement of new handguns without being chastised for not spending an equal amount of money on training. As I told the folks at Tactical Response, not everyone is into training and not everyone owns a firearm for the same reason. We should all just be happy that they do own a firearm, yadda yadda.

That said... this forum is the perfect place for Tactical Response instructors and students to discuss TRAINING. That's what it's here for. We're lucky to live in a country where civilians can avail themselves of such schools, whether it be Tactical Response, Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc.

I'm sorry to see this thread turn into what it has and hope that no one will be run off as a result of it.

I'm with molonlabetn on this one. The PM system makes arguments between a couple people stay between those people. The Chat feature will allow people to do this in real time as well without dragging it out into the forums.

I for one enjoy reading the responses that Shay and James put up from some of the people that have attended various classes. I've signed up for the class and it gives me a good indicator about what I might be in for and what other people think about their training that have been there.

Do I believe in getting training, yes I do. Do I think that EVERYONE needs training, no I don't. Training is a personal thing. Some feel like they can train themselves, while others like to get professional training. Others have their opinion and I have mine, but we're all entitled to that opinion.

Let's not forget why we're together on this board. I'd hang out, talk, or shoot with any of you. My name is Donnie and I'm a gunaholic.

Let's not forget why we're together on this board. I'd hang out, talk, or shoot with any of you. My name is Donnie and I'm a gunaholic.

Hey Donnie and everyone...my name is Elliott and I'm not a gunaholic...er...really! well..ok..ya got me!!! I'm a sucker for those clean lines..the fine way it operates..the accuracy....errrr. ahem!! sorry...

I also believe in training..and I practice the training and the insights that I've learned in combat.

I WOULD like to see a couple of other companies up in here though... :P

just for comparison!

we need more responses from schools in different parts of the state...I for one don't want to drive all the way to camden Tn...and its a pain to fly with my weapons...

anybody?:D

Guest Shay VanVlymen
I just like the pictures...I don't read that well..

Should I start a new thread just for training pictures? I've got a ton of them.

Hey all:

I got my confirmation today for the Fighting Pistol Class for 5/26-27. I was asked whether I was planning on staying in the Team Room over the weekend. I answered in the affirmative, and was wondering if others who are taking the class are planning to do so as well.

This will be all new to me, so I look forward to the class. I have kept silent on the other issues discussed here as I am basically an ignorant newbie who has nothing useful to say. Hope to learn and form my own opinions. Maybe have som fun doing something different. Maybe meet some fellow gun enthusiasts.

Looking forward to meeting you all next month.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shay VanVlymen

Unfortunately the response for this class from TGO members hasn't produced enough registrations to keep it closed. The class will still go on as planned but I'm going to open the class up to general admission and raise the price to our standard tuition rate. If you are planning to register and just haven't done it please contact me and I'll tell you how you can still register and get the discount price.

I'd take you guys up on it, but I'm teaching a Defensive Pistol Skills class here in Chattanooga that weekend . Anyone here who is not signing up for this TGO class REALLY needs to reconsider. I'd definitely be there if I could.

Actually I'll be stopping in on the 18th on my way to Tom's place(Rangemaster) for Combative Pistol II. See you guys then.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to a family emergency that will take me out of town starting today, I must withdraw from the TR Fighting Pistol class this weekend. I will reschedule and pay as soon as I can. Sorry for the late notice, I hope the class goes well. I Hope to be at a TR class soon.

Thanks.

-Len