What are these new banner ads doing on TGO?

• Administrator

By now you may have noticed the new banner ads appearing beneath the TGO Supporting Vendor ads. So what's up with that, right?

As TGO continues to grow so too do the demands placed on our server systems. When we increase our capacity to keep up with our growth, that in turn increases the size of our hosting bill every month and that means that lately I've had to personally subsidize more and more of our expenses out of my own pocket. While TGO is still a labor of love for me, it's always better when the site can pay its own way.

Recently I was approached by a national advertising firm to see if I would be interested in allowing them to place their ads on TGO in addition to the ads we already serve. After evaluating it carefully and receiving their assurance that we can continue to feature our homegrown ads prominently
in addition to
their ads (i.e. two ads per page; one ours - one theirs) I have decided to go ahead and embark on this.

Even so, I have negotiated with this advertising firm to ensure that TGO Vendor ads appear FIRST on the page, above their ads. Our TGO Vendors are the local hometown folks and I want their advertisements featured first.
;)

These ads will bring some more revenue into the forum so that we can continue to grow the TGO community and the TGO brand. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a good idea. TGO vendors can still always post threads with sales and updates and locals are usually pretty aware of shops/ranges near them. I think it's a good way to keep everyone happy and keep TGO up and running without David trying to scrape together the bill every month just from benefactors and a few vendors.

Mozilla Ad block stops all this....I support the local vendors without the adds, and when I get the extra money again I will support TGO without clicking ads that have cookie tracers and spyware.

Mozilla Ad block stops all this....I support the local vendors without the adds, and when I get the extra money again I will support TGO without clicking ads that have cookie tracers and spyware.

With Mozilla you can allow the ads on this site only. There are no pop ups or anthing like that. Most of the ads that are not local that I have seen have been gun related, brownells and SWFA.com which is a gun oriented site.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I saw one earlier that was Airsoft.... I'm glad that David is getting some help running it without having to do something drastic...

If you get paid per click... I'll be a click monster a few days a week.

• Administrator

Please don't click for the sake of clicking. Our ad revenue doesn't come from clicks; it's done by impressions per month. By all means if you see something that interests you, click through to it because that helps the advertising company justify their services to their own respective customers (i.e. Brownells, etc.)

If I click through to Brownell's and actually purchase something, does that help out more? I figure we all buy from them occasionally, thought it might make a difference.

buk

I'm going to say No, at least not directly...see post 18.

If clicking on ad doesn't help directly, not sure how purchasing something from a website after you clicked on it would...