For you Glock lovers...

Guest Verbal Kint

Guest Verbal Kint

Lifted this from Dave Sevigny's facebook update... linked to the Glock page...

GLOCK News: ATF Awards GLOCK Firearms Contract

by GLOCK Inc. on Friday, September 17, 2010 at 8:58am

ATF Selects GLOCK as their Chosen Duty Weapon

Smyrna, GA (Sept. 17, 2010) – The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) recently announced that it has awarded GLOCK, Inc. an unrestricted open market competitive firm-fixed-price Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) multiple-award contract. After rigorous testing and evaluation including a 20,000 round endurance shoot and brutal environmental testing, the ATF not only awarded the contract to GLOCK, but also selected the GLOCK 22 Gen4 and 27 .40 caliber semi automatic pistols as their choice of duty weapon; demonstrating that GLOCK earned their trust and confidence.

The 10-year contract is valued at up to $40 million and the first ATF delivery orders have been placed. The terms provide additional Federal Agencies the opportunity to ride on the contract in accordance with the Federal Acquisition Regulations.

“GLOCK is very proud to have been competitively selected by the ATF for this contract over all our competition,” said GLOCK Vice President Josh Dorsey. “GLOCK was chosen for a duty weapon over all others due to the new design features of the Gen4 pistol and GLOCK’s Safe Action System as well as reliability and durability that have made GLOCK pistols famous. GLOCK’s focus remains on providing safe, simple and fast pistols to those that go in harm’s way to protect the freedom that we all currently enjoy. Our firearms are designed for these individuals to succeed and survive in any situation and we stand ready to not only meet U.S. Government requirements, but to exceed them.”

GLOCK pistols are the first choice among consumers and law enforcement, with 65% of agencies nationwide choosing to carry GLOCK.

About GLOCK, Inc.

GLOCK, Inc. is a leading global manufacturer of pistols and accessories. GLOCK's superior engineering has produced a pistol with only 34 parts and a rugged polymer-frame, providing industry-leading reliability shot after shot. GLOCK is renowned for its pistols which are safe, featuring three safeties; simple, offering a low number of components to provide reliability; and fast, with no encumbering parts to slow the speed to fire. This combination makes GLOCK pistols the first choice among consumers and law enforcement, with 65% of agencies nationwide choosing to carry GLOCK. Austrian-engineered, the company has manufacturing facilities in the United States and Austria. Based in Smyrna, Ga., GLOCK, Inc. is an advocate for our nation's law enforcement and military personnel, as well as all citizens' Second Amendment right to bear arms.

For more information, please visit www.teamglock.com.

# # #

[/Quote]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They gave Smith and Wesson a contract too. Wonder why they switched from the Sigs that they have been carrying?

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

lg-addthis-en.gif Smith & Wesson Awarded ATF Firearms Contract

1005105.jpg

1006115.jpg

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ: SWHC), parent company of Smith & Wesson Corp., the legendary 158-year old company in the global business of safety, security, protection and sport, has announced that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) awarded the company an unrestricted open market competitive Firm-Fixed-Price Indefinite-Delivery/Indefinite -Quantity (ID/IQ) multiple-award contract for the Military & Police (M&P40) pistol.

The award marks the completion of a full and open competition among several firearm manufacturers to provide a commercial off-the-shelf pistol that met or surpassed the ATF technical requirements. Under this contract, the M&P40 pistol is not only qualified for purchase by the ATF but has also been made available to multiple U.S. Federal Agencies who may now use this contract vehicle for their purchases. The potential value of the contract award is $40 million over 10 years.

Michael F. Golden, President and CEO, said, "This award by the ATF marks a milestone for our company and for the Military & Police Pistol Series. Beyond the value of future orders we may receive under the contract, it is an important validation of our M&P products. During the ATF's stringent testing process, the M&P pistol performed exceptionally well, demonstrating excellence in the areas of reliability and performance, two key benefits that have made it a frequent choice by federal, state and local law enforcement professionals."

The ATF awarded the contract to Smith & Wesson after a rigorous, multi-step evaluation was conducted on the M&P40 full-size and compact pistols. The evaluation consisted of a multiple- agent, live-fire assessment of 5,000 rounds. Additionally, the pistols were fired 15,000 rounds during the endurance phase of the test, for a total of 20,000 rounds each. The pistols were further subjected to an environmental exposure test and a post-endurance evaluation.

Golden concluded, "The employees of Smith & Wesson are proud to support our nation's federal agents by supplying them with a top-grade, American made product that embodies our relentless focus on quality and performance, our innovative manufacturing techniques and the rich history of our company."

About Smith & Wesson

Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ: SWHC) is a U.S.-based, global provider of products and services for safety, security, protection and sport. The company designs and constructs facility perimeter security solutions for military and commercial applications, and delivers a broad portfolio of firearms and related training to the military, law enforcement and sports markets. SWHC companies include Smith & Wesson Corp., the globally recognized manufacturer of quality firearms; Universal Safety Response, a full-service perimeter security integrator, barrier manufacturer and installer; and Thompson/Center Arms Company, Inc., a premier designer and manufacturer of premium hunting firearms. SWHC facilities are located in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, and Tennessee. For more information on Smith & Wesson and its companies, call (800) 331-0852 or log on to www.smith-wesson.com; www.usrgrab.com; or www.tcarms.com.

According to the ATF Sig failed the reliability and durability portions of the testing. Sig filed a complaint stating the testing was improperly done, but the Fed dept overseeing the contracts and testing fairness said Sig did not have a valid grievance, and so were not considered for the final decision.

According to the ATF Sig failed the reliability and durability portions of the testing. Sig filed a complaint stating the testing was improperly done, but the Fed dept overseeing the contracts and testing fairness said Sig did not have a valid grievance, and so were not considered for the final decision.

That's weird. All the ATF agents I know have had nothing but good things to say about their Sigs.

That's weird. All the ATF agents I know have had nothing but good things to say about their Sigs.

I don't recall the issues, but you can read the entire testing procedure and reporting. It is public access. I read it, but it was sometime back. I cannot speak to this personally because I haven't shot many new Sigs of late, but I have heard of some complaints of Sig's QC. I carried a 228 for a number of years. I didn't care for the DA/SA combo or the DAO at the time. I also didn't care for the long grip for carry. However that action can certainly be highly effective with practice. The gun never let me down. It ran thousands of rounds.

Maybe this means there will be some old ATF Sigs on the market soon...

Thanks to Clinton, they will be recycled into a car bumper or the like. Clinton signed into law nonsense that won't allow any federal agency to sell their unwanted firearms to the public.

Guest Glock23ForMe
The Glock .380 doesn't have enough import points to be imported into the country. Why carry a gun that is physically the same size as a 26 or 27 but in a smaller caliber? Even if they could get the .380's in the country I doubt they would be a big seller.

+1

This is valuable info that I did not know. Makes a difference in my opinion. Thanks, Jason.

That is correct. They are actually if I recall a bit bigger than the 26/27. They make it for a market that dictates strictly the largest caliber they will allow for carry and dictates the size it must be. If Glock wanted to they could get it enough importation points to bring here. However as was already stated, they really don't have the desire to do so as it wouldn't sell in the US market. They have given no indication to desiring to build the Glock model in a smaller than their current sub-compact guns for a round such as the 380.

Nope, they are exactly the same size per Glock's website.

OK. I wasn't sure. Wouldn't want a 380 in a model perfectly capable of handling 9 and 40. They wouldn't sell in the US market with 380 as you are stated. I personally have no big love for the 380 round. Many years ago when I acquired my 380's they were all steel guns, but smaller than anything out in 9. However the HK P7M8 wasn't significantly bigger and so I bought one of those and never looked back.

Then they started making smaller 9mm gun, lighter than the old 380 guns. I find I carry those perfectly well, so I still have no use for the even smaller 380 made today. i'm sure there are times when a LCP or something similar would be handy, but not enough so that it warrants my going out and buying one. I still own several 380 pistols, but they never get shot.