New sign for yard.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Over the past few months, my girlfriends place has been buglarized 1 to many times. Also several other attempted break ins and lots of general harrassment. So, her and I agreed that we need to put a sign up. So I found a site that allows for customization of signs and created this:

Proof.png

I plan on putting it 10-15 ft. up from the entrance of her driveway and it wouldn't be completely seen from the street, unless your looking for it. You would definitely see it when you enter the driveway. The driveway has quite a bit of brush at the end of the driveway.

I know some of you are gonna argue, well your just advertising that fact that there is a firearm(s) present on the property. That fact was not lost upon me, but her and I agreed we needed to put up some sort of deterent. I have talked with her at length about where, how to secure her firearm(s) and have proper measures in place. I also made sure she understood when it is ok to use said firearm(s). She isn't a total noob to firearms and has grown up around them. Also she lives in KY, for those of you who might be thinking about the castle laws. www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/503-00/080.PDF

What do you guys think?

Edited by StreetWK05
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Drewsett

I know some of you are gonna argue, well your just advertising that fact that there is a firearm(s) present on the property.

This.

Obviously they are burglarizing her place when she is not there. If she owns a firearm, does she always have it with her, or does she occasionally leave it at home? If the latter is true, you have now given your regular thief a firearm. Put up an alarm co. sign, or better yet, get yourself some unmonitored alarm equipment to go with the sign. There are few things more valuable to a street criminal than a gun that can't be traced to them.

Do the burglars keep coming in the same door? How about a hand-written sign with large words on the door that says "Mike, call my cell phone before coming in. Joe and I are inside and he has his shotgun. Don't want to mistake you for a burglar and blow your belly button out through your @$$hole..."

Might be cheaper and possibly more effective. :P

Guest Guy N. Cognito

Well, if the locked doors and windows don't stop them, I'm sure that sign will. :P

There are many practical steps you can take to better protect your home without arming a novice or investing in a silly sign:

- harden entry points. Doors, windows, etc. Lockable bars are great any allow egress in the event of a fire.

- make the house visible from the street. Clear shrubs and trees.

- use outdoor lighting. Consider motion activated lights. Use them.

- inside, put lights on timers. Leave a tv on when you aren't home loud enough to hear outside the home.

- if you have a spare car, park it in the driveway. Move it every few days so it looks like it gets used.

- hide or lock up valuables so that the can't be seen.

- MOVE. This really should have gone first.

Guest tnxdshooter

I always keep my firearm on me so I wasnt worried about someone stealing it if they broke into my apartment in Oak Ridge. I had a sticker on the window though that had a picture of a Springfield XD pistol on it and it said PROTECTED BY SPRINGFIELD. I never had any break ins or even any attempts.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
This.

Obviously they are burglarizing her place when she is not there. If she owns a firearm, does she always have it with her, or does she occasionally leave it at home? If the latter is true, you have now given your regular thief a firearm. Put up an alarm co. sign, or better yet, get yourself some unmonitored alarm equipment to go with the sign. There are few things more valuable to a street criminal than a gun that can't be traced to them.

She keeps her firearm(s) with her. She cannot afford to buy an alarm, monitored or not. Also, I know that the thieves are looking for her medications. Cause thats what has been taken from the place. The thieves, don't even bother with the LCD tv that I bought her.

Do the burglars keep coming in the same door? How about a hand-written sign with large words on the door that says "Mike, call my cell phone before coming in. Joe and I are inside and he has his shotgun. Don't want to mistake you for a burglar and blow your belly button out through your @$$hole..."

Might be cheaper and possibly more effective. :D

She lives in a trailer, on .5 acre piece of property, not a trailer park and there is 4 other homes close by. She has tried a hand written sign, "saying no tresspassing" but that does not deter anyone.

Guy N. Cognito

Well, if the locked doors and windows don't stop them, I'm sure that sign will. :P

- harden entry points. Doors, windows, etc. Lockable bars are great any allow egress in the event of a fire.

She Doesn't Have The Money To Upgrade.

- make the house visible from the street. Clear shrubs and trees.

Good To Go Already

- use outdoor lighting. Consider motion activated lights. Use them.

Good To Go Already

- inside, put lights on timers. Leave a tv on when you aren't home loud enough to hear outside the home.

Good To Go Already

- if you have a spare car, park it in the driveway. Move it every few days so it looks like it gets used.

Good To Go Already

- hide or lock up valuables so that the can't be seen.

Good To Go Already

- MOVE. This really should have gone first.

She needs to move to a better neighborhood.

Moving Isn't An Option Right Now

Motion detector lights, maybe a dog. Clear brush away that lets a bad guy hide. Lights on timers inside.

There is a twin-mount .50 on gunbroker.com that you could mount somewhere.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=190484305

Wish I had money for that!

Edited by StreetWK05

I kinda like the sign. :)

JTBH, I think a lot of the stuff against it is just internet myth.

When you think about it, we all know(or know of) some crazy old guy with signs like that plastered along his driveway....but we never hear of him having problems with break-ins ;)

Guest Verbal Kint
And add her 3 kids.

Manual labor. :D

Hey, you're with her for a reason... 3 kids or not... that number isn't going to go down any. ;)

ETA: Maybe you should forget the gun sign and warn them about the 3 kids... might be more effective. :)

Edited by Verbal Kint

If they're entering through a window (unlikely with a trailer, but not impossible), 3M makes a transparent film for windows which makes it much more difficult to bust through. The glass breaks, but stays together, much like automotive safety glass, meaning a would-be intruder would really need to hammer away to get in. Otherwise, it seems like there's no easy recourse without finding the money to harden entry points. I'd suggest a "no pain medication inside" sign, but previous successful burglaries would nullify that.

Guest Verbal Kint

At this point, I'd recommend a really well-trained, pissed off, K9 (rottweiler, doberman, malinois, etc) left inside the trailer when no one is there. Guarantee you that the intruders won't make repeat showing after the first encounter with the new family member. If they're dumb enough to not stop entering when the barking starts. :)

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
At this point, I'd recommend a really well-trained, pissed off, K9 (rottweiler, doberman, malinois, etc) left inside the trailer when no one is there. Guarantee you that the intruders won't make repeat showing after the first encounter with the new family member. If they're dumb enough to not stop entering when the barking starts. :)

She has a 2 year old blue American Pit Bull Terrier. The dog barks at everyone that approaches the trailer. However, if your really nice and act nice when you approach him, the dog will eventually go from loud, to calm fairly easily. But by then one of the neighbors should have noticed something was up and let someone know. I'm gonna do some hardening of the entry points when I see her next.

I'd suggest a "no pain medication inside" sign, but previous successful burglaries would nullify that.

That is correct!

Edited by StreetWK05

My husband has sugested that we put up a no trespasing sign and below it, one of my silloutte targets that I have shot. He feels that is the best deterrent.

Buy a small safe or take the meds with her when she leaves.

And teach that dog to not like strangers....ASAP

But by then one of the neighbors should have noticed something was up and let someone know.

!

Have you considered that maybe the neighbor is the thief? They would have perfect opportunity to do so if they are just waiting for her to leave each time.

You should consider getting a nanny cam so you can see if you recognize the person.

Just thinking here. What if and don't do this,

Replace Meds with suger pills.

I was going to suggest something else but figure this being the internet and all best not.

Then never leave any real meds on site if at all possible, if that is not an option find really good hiding place. Be creative. Meds are small, can be hid almost any place.