Taking my wife shooting on Sunday

Hello ladies, I need some advice based on my thread title.

We got her a Walther P22; she liked the feel of the gun in her hand. I got started shooting on .22 and for a beginner, the low recoil and noise made the most sense.

My plan is to get her super familiar with the mechanicals tomorrow (Saturday) and see if she is the next Annie Oakley on Sunday.

I hope she likes it and wants to pursue her HCP, lots of scumbags out there...

So I don't make her angry, nervous or so pissed off she'll never want to shoot again, what do your ladies HATE when being instructed at/on the range?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good advice thus far! I would suggest getting her some comfortable ear protection and shooting glasses that are her very own (don't rent them from the range). Run down safety rules and the basics of shooting and how to handle the Walther, then, as long as she's being safe, just observe and don't "instruct" too much.....just answer her questions.

Then, afterwards, take her out to a nice dinner! :D

We went to Gunny's yesterday (ladies shoot for free)

Took about an hour at the house to go over handgun safety, get her familiar with the P22 mechanicals, and basic grip / sight picture

At the range, only corrected grip and stance (forget to talk about stance at home)

She fired 200 rounds and loved it, if I had continued to load mags, she would have kept on firing.

Best part, she is referring to the P22 as "MY gun"

Next trip we'll work a little more on sight picture and bring more ammo!

Her final target, 7 yards

DSC00636.jpg

The grip and stance become much more important as she progresses to more powerful handguns. Best to make sure they're both correct now. My wife requires occasional reminders to shoot off her front foot, rather than her back foot.

Next time you go, have some simple practice drills prepared. It'll help keep it interesting, rather than mindlessly perforating paper. You might also talk her into signing up for the "Women on Target" course. My wife took it a while back (before the staff shake-up) and found it fun and informative.