Who Carries Full Size?

CM1021

Guest The Highlander

I rotate between a Glock 17, Glock 31, Ruger SR9, and my new love, a SIG 220 Elite (just bought from TGO Sponsors, Tri-Cities Gun Depot). I have carried a full-size 1911, and various Smith and Ruger revolvers every now and then. I'm 5'8" and about 240, short and wide. I carry OWB 95% of the time in a Don Hume 710 series, which I have for all of my guns I think. They should give me stock in Oklahoma Leather Goods. I do have an assortment of Galco, Hume, Bianchi, High Noon, and probably other holsters, but after getting started with the Hume 710, I pretty much stick with it and just order a new one whenever I buy a new gun.

I agree with the good belt comments, but I have also found some well made quality belts locally, and have one on order now from a local leather maker that also carries, so he knows a little about what is needed. My latest though was a saddle leather I picked up for about $20.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might know a guy who can make a belt.:)

Well who would that guy be? Lol...I want to get a good belt because this seems to be one of the building blocks for concealed carry...I usually always wear T-shirts and polos and button ups untucked...so will this help me with being able to carry IWB and OWB?

A good belt supports the weight of the pistol without sagging and giving, therefore you aren't constantly tugging at your pants and can walk around and do your daily chores comfortable. A double leather belt is expensive. I'd be happy to make one for you, or you can get one from most any holster maker. I've heard good things about Gun Belts by The Belt Man. We'd be comparable on price, and I would give you a money back guarantee, but he does this for a living, while it's a hobby for me. I expect he knows more about it than I do. Here's another guy I can recommend with confidence:Lobo Gun Leather - Other styles and accessories. He 's probably a bit cheaper than me. How ever you go, don't cheap out on the belt.

My belt upgrade was to a 5.11 Tactical "casual"

Simple style, decent looking buckle.

I was prepared to spend some money, but not $75+

It gets the job done, but is MADE IN CHINA

I do not know the life expectancy of the 5.11, but upon replacement, I will step up and buy American.

Some of the other forum members have gotten YEARS of service from their higher-priced American-made belts.

I did carry my hicap Springer for a couple weeks. It is a boat anchor. The holster

for my G30 broke. Glad it's fixed. That Springer is a fine gun, but way too heavy.

I may carry the G21 this winter. Not much different from the G30, if you're wearing

a coat.

One way to carry a full size firearm comfortably is by using the fanny pack or belt packs available online. Make sure it is a quality one. Sad thing is, some will know what you are carrying, and others laugh at fanny packs. Still better than the man purse though...

I carry a Bersa UC45 - and will eventually upgrade to an officer's size 1911, or one roughly the size of a Colt Defender.

I have been a big fan of the Taurus Mill Pro pistols simply because they are small, short barreled and have a thumb safety. Very easy to conceal also. Currently I am toting a XDm 9mm IWB. A bit larger for sure, but still concealable. And it has a 19+1 capacity. Not that I put that many rounds in the mag...

May I ask why you don't fully load your magazine?

When it comes to full size a quality holster really does make all the difference. i sit all the time with my 1911 and have no issues with it jabbing me in the side. the only issue i have at all is getting in and out of the car but I had the same issue with my XD compact.

Guest Underground

Nix the compensator. You'll only shoot from retention at contact distance one time to realize why that's a bad idea in a carry pistol.

Like they said, get a good quality double layer belt and a decent IWB holster and mag carrier.

Guest flyfishtn

I switch between a Gov't model 1911 and a G19 and carry both IWB most of the time without issue. While I know the G19 is considered compact, it is still a large pistol in comparison to some of the subs out there.

Guest 6.8 AR

Glad you brought this topic up. I carried my G21 for a while and decided

since i'm a better shot with it, and it conceals okay on me, I think I will

keep on wearing it. I'm going to let the G30 rest a while in the safe. ;)

Guest eyescream
I carry a Glock 21 or M&P 45 almost everyday without problem.

Its all about mind set and dressing for carry.

Yeah, I tell people to dress around the gun and they look at me like I've sprouted horns or something. Like there aren't any other lifestyle changes involved in the responsibility of carrying a handgun. :)

Yeah, I tell people to dress around the gun and they look at me like I've sprouted horns or something. Like there aren't any other lifestyle changes involved in the responsibility of carrying a handgun. :)

Thankfully most of those people never carry their firearm. I am always baffled when someone tells me how they got a carry permit but don't carry because it messes with their 'style'. They don't seem to make any effort to try and work around dressing with the way they like. I dress in everything from jeans and t-shirts to khakis to suits and always have a method for carrying a firearm. It does require effort. It means I have full size, compact and sub-compact weapons, for me usually Glocks. I have several different holster choices and several belt choices. But, you can make it work. After the initial investment in the needed accessories you will b set for a long time.

The decision to carry brings along with it some changes in the way you dress and hopefully the way you observe the world around you. It is our right, but it is also a responsibility. If you carry, do so properly, responsibly and be proficient with your firearms.

Edited by Warbird