tuned on the RIA 1911 yesterday

There was a previous thread here somewhere where springs and such were somewhat discussed. But I could not readily find it so I am starting another.

A while back I was having problems with the pistol going fully into battery. I believe Molon LabeTN and Dotson had/have this problem too on occassion.

I know Eddie put new springs into his and I had ordered and installed a Wolff 18lb spring into mine. The spring seemed to help a lot with the failure to go to battery problem but then a new condition popped up. The gun would cycle fine but sometimes it would leave the hammer in a half cock postion.

I started trimming the spring a little at a time. The problem got better but not 100% fixed. After the last time shooting, that time with less hammer failures than before, I trimmed it again. In total I might have taken a little more than one loop off the spring.

I put 50 failure free rounds through it yesterday, maybe It is fixed. After the previous trim job it would fail one out of 50. I had also worked a little on the extractor and maybe that helped too.

Dave did you ever order a new spring?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I ordered a stock commander spring from Wolf and it created new problems. :mad: The last time I shot it I had the slide lock back on full mags several times. I ended up putting the old spring back in until I get to play with the new spring at the range. I thought about doing what you did, trim the new spring to see if I can make it work. These 1911's are finicky beasts.

My reasoning for trimming the spring was that the old one was too weak, the new one too strong so trimming it down would find a workable middle ground. At least 50 fed and the hammer worked as intended.

I have had the slide lock back in the past but it was always with the Wilson Combat mag. I am now using the Novak mag that came with the RIA just to help control all the variables.

Dave, check this link out and compare your extractor to it

extractor tuning tips - http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

Guys:

On the battery issue, take a look at the extracter. I had a Stainless steel Charles Daly Empire grade (same as RIA) that was a jam-o-matic when I picked it up. I never had the 1/2 cock issue, but I had return to battery & lock issues. They were remedied by tuning the extracter (see Wilson site). IMO, the Daly/RIA extracter is a major piece of crap. It is too long and very rough. I shortened & polished mine and never had any issues with brass or aluminum ammo.

I know this is probably common knowledge, but the 1911 extracter design doesn't like wold ammo. The steel case is a bit too tight to close fully. Also, the dirty ammo created lots of residue that seems to pack in around the extracter. Both lead to lots of jams after a few boxes are run through it.

Yeah I've used that link to tune a new extractor I put in the gun Mike, so I'm sure that's not the problem. I think if I can get the new wolf recoil spring cut down a bit it'll be much better. I also wanna try it with some wwb fmj's I have instead of my crappy reloads. :mad:

I think if I can get the new wolf recoil spring cut down a bit it'll be much better. I also wanna try it with some wwb fmj's I have instead of my crappy reloads. :mad:

Cut a little at a time, I had to use a cutting wheel on a dremel tool to cut the spring, that stuff is hard!

I dunno if FMJ store bought will make any difference, I have as much trouble with them as my crappy home rolls.

Dotsun, do you have an inverter for your vehicle? If you're shooting at Norris, you could use a dremel right there at your vehicle. I have one for my truck, 400 watt, which will run most power tools I use daily. Just a suggestion.

Guest Boomhower
Doh, I was hoping I could cut it with diagonal cutters. That's gonna make it hard to do at the range while testing it. :(

:).....wish you would have said something earlier today....i just bought this one from the halls walmart a few weeks ago for around $40 me thinks.