TN permit holders vs those who actually carry

Guest S7A2G6

As you can see by my number of posts, I am more of the quiet type. I enjoy reading the discussions, especially when they stray from topic then get back on. At any rate, I must admit that I am a bit disappointed in our (TGO) community. I thought for sure that within four pages of forum use, at least one person would tout that they got their permit and carry on a regular basis, not only for their own personal self protection, but for the protection of other around them. Especially in the "bad areas".

IMO (don't blast me) Being a responsible gun carrier, not only affords you the convenience to better protect yourself, should the occasion arise, but also to help protect the ones that were not as lucky as you to not be randomly selected to get there car jacked at AK point. I feel that being a carrier means you have the responsibility to be that much more proactive in "policing" your area. And by this I DO NOT mean being all gung-ho, as in looking for fights. We have "bad areas" due to the lack of the proactive American.

Thats my two cents. Actual value may vary.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can see by my number of posts, I am more of the quiet type. I enjoy reading the discussions, especially when they stray from topic then get back on. At any rate, I must admit that I am a bit disappointed in our (TGO) community. I thought for sure that within four pages of forum use, at least one person would tout that they got their permit and carry on a regular basis, not only for their own personal self protection, but for the protection of other around them. Especially in the "bad areas".

IMO (don't blast me) Being a responsible gun carrier, not only affords you the convenience to better protect yourself, should the occasion arise, but also to help protect the ones that were not as lucky as you to not be randomly selected to get there car jacked at AK point. I feel that being a carrier means you have the responsibility to be that much more proactive in "policing" your area. And by this I DO NOT mean being all gung-ho, as in looking for fights. We have "bad areas" due to the lack of the proactive American.

Thats my two cents. Actual value may vary.

I respectfully disagree. I didn't get my permit to 'police' anything. I got my permit to help me be equipped to better ensure that I and my loved ones go home safe at night not to willingly become involved in situations that could decrease the possibility of doing so. The majority of other adults in TN have that same option. I did not sign up to be a guardian of society.

One problem is that I would have no way of knowing (to use your example) that the person being pulled out of their car by a 'thug' at gunpoint wasn't actually a drug dealer being arrested by an undercover cop. Even if that is not the case, I'm not risking my life to save someone else's car.

Further, shooting someone - even if it a 'good' shoot - could mean years of legal and financial woes for me. Frankly, there aren't many strangers for whom I would deem the risk worth it. There may be situations where I would step in to defend a stranger but those would be very, very limited.

Edited by JAB
Guest roshambo

I have to agree with JAB on this one. If I can avoid a situation that involves me firing my weapon I'm going to try my best to do that. You never know what the situation is. I think I remember that exact scenario discussed in my HCP class involving an undercover officer attempting to arrest someone and having to make the decision on who to shoot. You're much better off getting to a safe location and calling 911 to report it. If I wanted to be a police officer, I would have signed up at the academy! Don't get me wrong though, if I witnessed a situation where there was without a doubt someone was without question in a deadly situation (ex: woman getting raped in an alley) I would have no problems using deadly force if neccessary. I guess it really comes down to the situation, time, place, and who's involved that causes that decision to be made. Tough, life changing choices!

Definitely DO NOT try to "police" anything or anyone other than you and your family/house.

Do keep your eyes open

As to the original post...

If people go to the trouble of getting their permit and then don't carry...they are THE LAST people that you want to be carrying.