HVAC issue, I hope this is minor

vontar

I have already called my installer and I have an appointment.

Tell me if this sounds minor.

Brand new system installed 3 months ago. 10 year Warranty so I am not worried.

However I have only been using AC until last night.

When they installed it, we turned on the Emergency heat and burned off the new.

it is an Heat Pump/AC with Gas Aux.

This is my first Heat Pump, as it was explained to me, it is basically AC in reverse down to about 35-40 degrees, and normally would not use Gas, unless turn on the EM Heat.

Well last night, temp started dropping, inside the house it got down to about 66 and my wife started getting cold. Outside was 55. So I turned the Heat on.

The fans came on, The fan outside on the unit was running. However the air coming though the vents stayed cold even 30 minutes later and the house temp dropped to 64. So I turned on the EM heat when I knew they told me no matter what would over ride the heat pump setting and turn on the gas heat. It only took about 30 minutes and had my house back up to 70.

I think put the setting to automatic, just in case where it should control temp with in 3 degrees, and went to bed, WRONG, woke up and it had cooled my house to 56 inside , outside 55.

I had to turn on EM heat for my wife again.

So, do you think maybe they just wired something up incorrect?

I have a Honeywell Thermostat, frigidaire 2 Ton unit.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, kind of what I thought.

This morning waking up it was like I had been camping. In a way it felt good, except I had to go to work.

I have the EM heat on right now and I know it cycles on and off as needed.

However, when not at home, I am turning it OFF.

This unit in EM, seems to dump heat in my house at faster then the old unit ever did.

Yea I had gas before, but this one is a a Dual, Heat pump with gas Aux.. The old one was Just Gas. I will tell you, the EM when I turned it on puts out more heat then the old unit ever did.

I got some bad news for you.....If you are used to gas heat then the discharge air from an air cooled heat pump will always feel cold even when it is heating.

I got some bad news for you.....If you are used to gas heat then the discharge air from an air cooled heat pump will always feel cold even when it is heating.

I am not worried, I mainly use Wood heat. I just didn't want to build a fire yet this year and figured I would test the new system. Kinda glad I did to find out it was not working correclty now. Better now then later.

I have a wood burner and enough wood for this winter already cut and stacked.

Well, I am fixed up.

The problem. I thought I had a Heat pump with Aux heat. That had been talked about. However what I brought and my contract was not a heat pump, it was an AC unit/gas pack. no heat pump. The guy that installed it thought it was a heat pump system as well, and programed the Thermostat for a heat pump/ aux gas system as well.

It didn't take they guy long today to figure it out and re program the system.. It is working now,

Guest db99wj

My heat wouldn't turn on this am, it would run, but no flame and heat.....forgot to turn the gas valve back on after being off for the summer!

Guest db99wj
At least that was an easy fix as well.

That's what I said after I threw a nekkid fit! I had just gotten out of the shower when my wife told me;). She looked at me like I was crazy. I fixed it, told her, she said something similar to that while smiling.

She told me a few days ago the heat in her Dodge Grand POS Caravan is going in and out. Won't blow then it will and will do fine. Has to shut it off then turn it on a time or two.

I think put the setting to automatic, just in case where it should control temp with in 3 degrees, and went to bed, WRONG, woke up and it had cooled my house to 56 inside , outside 55.

Glad you got it fixed but if the above it true, you should invest in some insulation and look for air leaks. The house shouldn't cool off that fast. Definitely not to within 1 deg of the outside temp over-night.

Insulation Fact Sheet

Glad you got it fixed but if the above it true, you should invest in some insulation and look for air leaks. The house shouldn't cool off that fast. Definitely not to within 1 deg of the outside temp over-night.

Insulation Fact Sheet

THe reason it lowerd the temp in my house, the program was trying to heat, but what it was doing was running AC.

Example. last night, I went to bed with it off, inside temp was 68, woke up at 63 inside, Outside was like 42. I didn't lose much with it off.

THe reason it lowerd the temp in my house, the program was trying to heat, but what it was doing was running AC.

Example. last night, I went to bed with it off, inside temp was 68, woke up at 63 inside, Outside was like 42. I didn't lose much with it off.

Ah.

I'd be a tad frightened that the original installer couldn't tell the difference between a heat pump and a gas furnace. Thermostats are easy to install. The wires are color-coded... yellow wire here, blue wire there, etc. Not to mention that he should have verified heat and AC functionality before he left. Anyway, glad its working properly now.

Ah.

Thermostats are easy to install. The wires are color-coded... yellow wire here, blue wire there, etc. .

Thats why I go on a few calls a year to fix homeowners mess ups.

Ah.

I'd be a tad frightened that the original installer couldn't tell the difference between a heat pump and a gas furnace. Thermostats are easy to install. The wires are color-coded... yellow wire here, blue wire there, etc. Not to mention that he should have verified heat and AC functionality before he left. Anyway, glad its working properly now.

Well, it was a strange day, 5 guys showed up at my house that day. It was back In Late June on one of those Hot 100 degree days.

3 guys showed up to do the job, I guess you would say the grunt work. They ended up needing to call another guy to bring up some additional Duct work as they were just a little short for the job., That was the 4th guy.

A 5th guy showed up later in the day, not sure what all he did but I know he went in and programmed the thermostat. I guess that is when the confusion set in. One of the guys installing and been telling me, lets say educating me on how heat pumps work as I didn't know.

I will tell you this. I watched the guy program it, back in the summer and I had told him I wanted the gas to come up as a higher temp then normal and he was telling me that really wasn't scary but I remember he changed it from 35 to 40 before the gas would have changed over. He also told me that was the installer section of the thermostat.

Had I know this fix was just a reprogram of the unit, I could have done.

Because the guy that sold me the unit told me I could set it to either have a soft glow or have the back lite off if not using it. When first setup by the first guys the back lite was off so I didn't say anything as I preferred that. After the last guy programmed it and left, he had turned the back lite on.

I found the only way to turn off the back lite was to get into the installer setup and change 280 it from a 1 to a 0. I have complete directions. However believing I had the other outside unit I could never have set it up correctly.