Anyone read anything good lately?

mav

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legendary Lawman: The Story of Quick Draw Jelly Bryce

I just finished this book, and if you have any interest in the infancy of the FBI, it is a very informative read. Mr. Bryce, it seems, was quite a man.

I've also been reading some Hemingway. I'm thinking he's a bit overrated, or else I'm just not refined enough to appreciate great literature.

For pulp novels, I highly recommend Larry Correia--his "Monster Hunter" series, and his "Grimnoir Chronicles."

On a more serious note, I recommend Mark Steyn ("America Alone" and "After America"), who writes about the frightening trend of Western decline with a wry gallows humor. And if you don't mind long, complex sentences that are crafted with precision of a Swiss watch, I highly recommend David Mamet's "The Secret Knowledge," which describes the liberal brain, such as it is.

Guest Lester Weevils

Haven't read much fiction recently. The other day was browsing scribd and came across Heinlein's old "Between Planets" novel. Have read about all the Heinlein long ago, but I don't recall having read that one. Or maybe memory is failing.

link-- Between Planets - Heinlein, Robert A

In the late 1940's and thru the 1950's Heinlein wrote many "juveniles" readable by any age but tilted toward adolescents. Between Planets seems to fit that mold.

Scientific knowledge of the nature of Venus and Mars has advanced so much since the 1950's that anything Heinlein wrote early-on regarding Venus or Mars is no more probable than a Mother Goose tale, but it is still a great yarn, kinda like Edgar Rice Burroughs is great stuff regardless that it would be better classified triivial fantasy rather than science fiction.

If you have never read any Heinlein then there are much better novels to read first. I'm just a sucker for Heinlein. Or most cheezy "classic" science fiction. Depending on my mood, the cheezier the better. Though many themes are no longer "scientifically likely", they remain fun tales.

I have to avoid fun reading. Always end up staying up all night reading, and suffer the next day.

• 2 months later...

Just finished Tony Hillerman's Coyote Waits and my first Sue Grafton ever, started with "C" instead of "A".

Half through Cormac's The Crossing, beyond terrific of course, and will do Cities of the Plain next to finish the Border Trilogy.

Surely he'll get the Nobel in the next year or two or there ain't no justice -- just hope he's still with us to receive it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest ThePunisher

Vince Flynn's new novel is coming out next week. That is definitely on my buy list. I don't know if you guys are familiar with Flynn. He writes action/espionage-type books. If you liked the show "24" and like to read, then I highly recommend Flynn's books.

I loved Term Limits and Transfer Of Power by Flynn. Both political action thrillers.

Man. Just reread this thread and realized how much many of us have in common in our reading tastes. Ringo, Correia, Koontz, Ahern, Johnstone, and of course, RAH. The Master by which most sf is compared. Many, many excellent books and writers mentioned here' both fiction and nonfiction.

I must admit my taste usually runs to fiction, for escapist reasons, I guess. The ability to step into another life and situation is simply captivating beyond belief for me. Perhaps too much so, as I probably spend too much time and money on books. Almost got cured of that in the 2010 flooding though. I had a great many books stored in plastic boxes in my garage. Had to almost be forced to toss them into the trash. Complete runs of all the Ahern Survivalist books. Johnstone's Ashes books. All the Kenneth Robeson Doc Savage and Avenger. Burroughs John Carter and Tarzan. And every Heinlien I could get my hands on from his earliest short stories, to the classic novels.

But water and paper do not react well together, sadly.

But to make things better, I think I'll go read for a while.

Man. Just reread this thread and realized how much many of us have in common in our reading tastes. Ringo, Correia, Koontz, Ahern, Johnstone, and of course, RAH. The Master by which most sf is compared. Many, many excellent books and writers mentioned here' both fiction and nonfiction.

I must admit my taste usually runs to fiction, for escapist reasons, I guess. The ability to step into another life and situation is simply captivating beyond belief for me. Perhaps too much so, as I probably spend too much time and money on books. Almost got cured of that in the 2010 flooding though. I had a great many books stored in plastic boxes in my garage. Had to almost be forced to toss them into the trash. Complete runs of all the Ahern Survivalist books. Johnstone's Ashes books. All the Kenneth Robeson Doc Savage and Avenger. Burroughs John Carter and Tarzan. And every Heinlien I could get my hands on from his earliest short stories, to the classic novels.

But water and paper do not react well together, sadly.

But to make things better, I think I'll go read for a while.

I hate to hear that.

I only had the first half of Ahern's Survivalist, but thanks to McKay's I have nearly closed that gap. I may wind up using Amazon to fill the rest of the holes.

As a kid I read nonstop. It is hard for folks to believe that someone my age only had one channel of television growing up, so I didn't watch a lot of TV. Spent most of my time doing productive things or reading.

I have most of Weiss and Hickman's novels, Dragonlance and Deathgate Cycle. My daughter is actually named after one of the deity's from Dragonlance. All of the influential Fantasy novels I have a copy or two of, JRR Tolkien, Card, Heinlein, Leiber, Anthony. I never got into much of Salvatore's fantasy, but I do have some copies, same with Moorcock, but I have read them. I was a fan of Jordan's Wheel of Time, but it got to be too bulky after something like the ninth novel.

As an adult that spends more than fifty hours a week at work, I have found my time to read drastically reduced. My wife, who is an avid reader picks on me about it. She will go through several hundred books a year. I might read two. I have found my leisure reading replaced with Wikipedia, which has become a fair bit of an addiction to me.

Just finished Raise the Titanic by Cussler. Like all the Dirk Pitt books, its not a literary masterpiece but some good mindless entertainment/escapism, which is exactly the point for me.

I enjoy reading but don't have much time for it. My wife is a voracious reader. She's currently working her way through the Jeff Shaara civil war trilogy.

Edited by peejman

I loved Term Limits and Transfer Of Power by Flynn. Both political action thrillers.

I have Flynn's new book, Killshot, in my bedroom. I bought it when it first came out, but I have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to read it.

Yes, Term Limits and Memorial Day are two of his best. I am rereading Term Limits right now. It is just as good the second time. I think that there a bunch of people on this forum that would love Flynn's Term Limits.

Not my usual thing, but I just finished The Hunger Games trilogy.

The first 2 were OK...the third was mediocre.

The movie comes out next month. For me, the casting looks about perfect.

I'll second this series. I read them with my 12 year old daughter and couldn't put them down. It also opened up some discussion about gun control an other weighty issues. And yes I'm looking forward to he movie.

Not my usual thing, but I just finished The Hunger Games trilogy.

The first 2 were OK...the third was mediocre.

The movie comes out next month. For me, the casting looks about perfect.

I 3rd this. I too was sucked in. Also these

Handgun Combatives- Dave Spaulding

Surgical Speed Shooting-Andy Stanford

Liberty Defined-Ron Paul

Recently - or at least since I last posted in this thread back in early January,

"We Were Soldiers Once and Young" and "We are Soldiers Still" both written by Lt. Gen. Hal Moore and Joe Galloway and both excellent reads.

"Bad Business" a Spenser novel by Robert B. Parker

"The Hard Way" a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Childs (Pen name of British author Jim Grant)

And (for probably the 50th time, literally - I love this little novella) "A River Runs Through It" By Norman Maclean.

Also re-read probably a half dozen Louis L'Amour novels plus Jack London's "Sea Wolf" and "Cruise of the Dazzler."

Seems like there were a few more, but I've slept (just a little) since then.