Slim 9mm carry semi autos

Guest carbonarcher

Guest carbonarcher

Thanks All,

The Ruger did catch my eye! I have read alot about them, but you know how the writters go..... I am a 1911 guy, have two Colt's the EGW had built for me, have an XD 9 service, CZ 75, Sig P220, Glock 21(custom by Robar), all great guns, just a little big for carry in hot weather, I think?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest carbonarcher

Trust me all, you have no idea what it is like up there unless you lived it! I would not wish lliving in New Jersey with all the gun laws(that they can't even figure out) on my worst enemy!! Thank GOD FOR TENNESSEE!

Hello All!

I am a PROUD NEW RESIDENT OF THE GREAT STATE OF TENNESSEE! Just moved down from the peoples republic of New Jersey! It is good to be a part of the United States of America! With that being said, I am getting ready to get my CCW permit, being that I am from New Jersey, and I am ignorant to all of the laws of Tennessee, I need all of your wisdom!

I was looking at a Walther PPS being that it is very thin and easy to carry and conceal. Does anyone have any experience with them? I would also be greatful for other suggestions!

Thankyou for all of your Help!

This is my first post.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did not see anything in the history.

Thank you all again!

Welcome to a free state! No one per month here. No making it painfully hard to buy. NJ is one of those states that I could never live in.

Guest Lester Weevils

JMHO don't want to hurt any feelings, but I'd think G26 or G19, M&Pc, H&K compacts, CZ compacts... no PPS, avoid mini-1911's like the plague, Kahr's are out, Taurus' are out, in any size.

Hi CK1

I have no beef with any of the brands you recommend, but am curious why you don't like the Kahrs? Is it just track record because it isn't a common military/police piece? Or something more specific?

In your recommended list, I'd probably go for a compact CZ first, just from affection for a full-size CZ. Didn't really like glocks I've shot, but don't have anything against them.

Have put at least 500 rounds thru the Kahr P9 and the only malf was a bad Federal bullet that went pfft rather than bang.

Kahr made the little NAA .380 I've had for 10 years. I can't shoot the little NAA worth beans, but it has always gone bang.

Welcome to the State of Tennessee! Just want to throw in my two cents on this and suggest the Kel-Tec PF9. You wont' find a thinner, lighter, more compact and easy to carry 9mm IMHO. It's not the most enjoyable range gun (without the mag extension) but if you are looking for something that really disappears under even light clothing, this is it. This is what I carry most often and it's also what I used to qualify for my TNHCP. Good luck with your search.

Hi CK1

I have no beef with any of the brands you recommend, but am curious why you don't like the Kahrs? Is it just track record because it isn't a common military/police piece? Or something more specific?

It is because CK1 is ALL-KNOWING....please bow down to his immense knowledge....of EVERYTHING.

Welcome to the State of Tennessee! Just want to throw in my two cents on this and suggest the Kel-Tec PF9. You wont' find a thinner, lighter, more compact and easy to carry 9mm IMHO. It's not the most enjoyable range gun (without the mag extension) but if you are looking for something that really disappears under even light clothing, this is it. This is what I carry most often and it's also what I used to qualify for my TNHCP. Good luck with your search.

I agree with Toter, the KelTec PF9 is a great concealed carry piece. And welcome to Clarksville, always happy to have more smiling faces in town.

Guys, no disrespect to anyone's favorite brand meant, just sharing my honest opinion, YMMV.

As for why I feel the way I do about the PPS' or the Kahr's, ones that run reliably are far too rare, don't think I've ever read a single review on either of them that didn't include some sort of issue. The PPS' seem to be better these days as they've fixed most of the bugs, still, trouble-free operation with them is low percentage as far as $600+ polymer guns go. Don't think I've ever seen a Kahr make it through 100rds without a malf, another one of the companies that chalk up the hiccups to "break-in" which I think is BS.

Important to note also, both guns are primarily purchased because of their slimness and tend to see real low round counts...

I dunno, a good reliable gun should be able to burn through at least 1000rds with out a problem, those two rarely see that in their lifetimes.

JMHO, others may feel different, no big deal.

Has more to do with my philosophy on shooting and pistols I guess, I just tend to go for the same models that are equally at home whether on duty, shooting a match, or as an EDC.

FWIW I have owned several Kahr's. never an issue with any of them accept the CW45 which would sometimes drop the magazine when fired. I called Kahr and they sent me a new mag catch. solved the problem. As for the breakin.. I never had one.. each gun fired perfect from round 1.

My PM40 has over 1000 rounds down the tube without a single failure.

best thing to do is handle and fire as many guns as you can. buy the one that best suits your needs and budget. opinions sometimes aren't the best way to decide on a weapon. only you will know what works best for you.

Guest buttonhook

not saying that there have never been reported problems with the PPS however most are due to limp wristing exp. the .40 cals....or the first gen. ones with the grey frames. BTW there are no more reported problems with them then there are with other new guns, cars, bikes, etc.. Sometimes you get a machine that needs some help..Having said that I haven't heard of many/any problems with the newer ones in 9mm thats not user error or really the .40cal either. I trust my life with it!! If you go on to some of the PPS forums you'll find the're are alot of high shoot count ones laying around with out problems. I'm sorry you had problems with yours (I had problem with my 1911 stove piping still a great gun had a bad mag.) but like I've said never had any problems with my PPS so that my opinion on them. I say buy it!

But to the OP just make sure YOU are comfortable with the gun YOU choose. Make sure you can shoot it and practice often. Take care of you gun and it will take care of you.

If you want to make sure your carry gun is reliable get a Glock, there simply is no other substitute. However, I like slim and tight in a OWB holster. With a Glock I use a Raven Ghost, but even then sometimes I don't like the fit. I also carry a hardchrome Keltec .32 just about 24/7 where permitted regardless what else I may be carrying. Lately I have been experimenting with the Star BM and now I have a Star BKS (aluminum frame) - I have plenty of spare springs & parts. These guns are accurate enough, pretty much dehorned and relatively slim. On the PF9: I have had two. I am also pretty well versed in fixing and prepping Keltecs. I wanted to really like the PF9, so much so after getting rid of the 1st one I got a second one a year or two later. I got rid of that one too. My ultimate test for a carry gun is can I grab it fast weak side one-handed and accurately fire it quickly at 7 yards in what can only be describe as my "phony" panic mode. I couldn't do it with the PF9 well enough to call it a carry gun for me. The PF9's weight, short barrel, caliber and muzzle flip all contribute to a hard to hold onto pistol when time and followup shots are of interest. Kahrs: I generally like them, but have only owned 1. The way the trigger pivot pin hangs down into the trigger guard bugs me. I have several friends who have had them, one who has 2 or 3 in his collection, but no one carries them. My "serious" friends all carry Glocks, along with S&W revolvers or Keltec .32/.380, one carries a S&W M&P and a couple carry 1911s. Because I like to paddle into the wind at times, am not a "serious or professional pistolero" I am experimenting with the Star BM. Suggestion: get a Glock 19, keep it forever, learn to shoot it well, modify your clothing style to carry it and then experiment with the usual suspects like S&W J-frames, Kahrs, Keltecs, maybe even Ruger SP101 - another very reliable gun but a chunk. You should shoot a Keltec PF9 one-handed weak side fast and see what you think. Sometimes I get the itch for another go at that gun, but my consicence tells me "no."

Echoing a few others, don't look past the Glock 19. While it's not as "slim" as others out there, how on earth can you pass on 15 rounds of protection? Besides, with the great new self protection rounds out there, you can get a lot of bang in that caliber these days.

Welcome to Tennessee. I'm going to that part of the country next week and feel like I'm going into Commie territory because I don't get carry reciprocity.

Guest carbonarcher

Thank you all for all your advice! I am greatful for the guidence!! I will def check all of what you have pointed out a look! Thanks again for the warm welcome! Hope I could be helpful in the future!

All good info. To get to the point, I love my PT709 Slim. Its all personal preference, budget, etc. All guns previosuly mentioned are great guns & any can have their quirks (minus maybe he glock).

Pick one, shoot it A LOT, and have fun being a responsible HCP older in this reat state : )

;)Carbonarcher, welcome to the South! You'll like it here. Like everyone else here, I have an opinion...so here it is. Didn't like the PF...and I like Keltec. Hated the trigger. Father-in-law had one and I disliked it as well. Have a Kahr K9 that is really nice--accurate, easy to control, and conceals well, but just a touch heavy at 23.1 oz. Really like my xd9sc, but a little awkward to conceal at times because of it's width. Got a great deal on a CZ Rami that i carry a bit. But although not a 9mm, my personal carry preference at this time is a Glock 30. Accurate, very accurate. Shoots great and easily controlled, plus it's a .45. What more could I want?

And as with all opinions, take with a grain or two of salt and make up your own mind as to what fits you and your purposes. Have fun choosing and welcome to MIddle Tennessee!

I see that there is no love for S&W on this site!

Quite the contrary. I like and own several of those old-fashioned and obsolete wheel guns. I even carry one on occasion. Why just last week I even bought a 637 for my wife. It's those chunky, oversize and overweight, load finiky autoloaders that are looked down on here. And I even got a few of those too.:(