RUGER LCP PROBLEM

tmck

I have owned and been shooting an LCP over 2 years and have had no problems until recently. I have been doing a lot of "point shooting" an 10-20 ft. No problem with my two hand grip...but about a month ago I started drawing my LCP from my right pocket and as quickly as possible using a one hand grip... most of the time when I fire my right thumb inadvertently bumps the mag. release button and it drops down about a 1/4" and I have a fail to feed. I am afraid if I ever get in a "real" hurry-up situation I will end up with a single shot LCP. No problem with my two hand grip or my left hand grip.

Since the LCP is my "carry everywhere gun" I am positive my first emergency impulse will be to pull and fire a right hand only shot.

Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

TMc

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest peacexxl
Can you file down the mag release button so it's less likely to be bumped accidentally? Or put in a stiffer spring so it's harder to push?

+1 on this. But also if you know it is user error, then this is the biggest reason why practice is so important. I'd say work on your strong hand only draw and fire until your thumb placement is naturally in a position that won't trigger the mag release. I haven't used the LCP myself but I have heard so many good things about it that it would be a shame for you to not be comfortable carrying in when all that's needed is a hopefully minor self correction.

just my $.02

Peejman,

Thanks for the great ideas...can I change the spring or should I send it back to Ruger?

TMc

I've no idea how that gun comes apart so I don't really know how difficult it may be to change it.... I'm sure youtube can provide instructions.

Assuming you can remove the existing spring, you can try a couple of things:

1) Stretch it a bit. It won't take much to increase the stiffness.

2) Cut a coil or two out of it. This will both shorten it and increase stiffness. This may or may not work well, depending on a few things.

3) Measure the existing spring and do some googling to try to find a similar one with higher stiffness.

I doubt Ruger will be of much help. I wouldn't expect them to stock different mag release springs.

I'd guess that the mag release is plastic and likely not real thick. I'd definitely try to remove it and confirm the thickness before filing on it.... lest you file all the way through it.

edit... Perhaps you can make an adjustment to your grip and fix the problem, perhaps not. Sometimes its easier to make the tool fit the hand than make the hand fit the tool.

Dumb question... are you using the little grip extension on the magazine? It's a snappy little gun. I'm sitting here with mine trying to visualize your problem. I haven't tried one-handed shooting with mine, but believe I could keep my thumb away from the make release WITH the extension.

Guest guardlobo

I wouldn't bother to modify the gun. I would examine and re-examine technique. Then I would change holsters before I changed anything on the gun. A more flexible holster may allow you to place your thumb where it belongs before/as you draw instead of smacking the mag release every time.

I just picked up an LCP and took it to Stones River TWRA on Sunday to get some rounds through it. I put 40 JHP and 100 FMJ down range. I dropped the mag out 3 times during that session, so it's not just you. I wasn't drawing, just firing. I'll have to make some adjustments. Other than the 3 mag drops, I had no FTFs of any kind. A stiffer release spring would probably help, but so will keeping my thumb up where it's supposed to be. It's a problem on these tiny mouse guns. There's not much room between where your thumb should be and where it shouldn't be. And if you have big hands, there's no difference between those 2 areas.

You might want to do a quick search over at ElsiePeaForum.com. I'm willing to bet the folks there have experienced the same problem and can make some suggestions.

I have a KelTec P3AT (the original LCP) and I know the mag release does extend just a little farther out than I like. I have read where some folks on the KT board have filed theirs down, but to be safe you might want to check with a group from the Ruger folks. I know Wolff makes recoil and mag springs for these little guns, but not sure if they offer a mag release spring or not. Might also be worth checking into.

Good luck.