Knoxville ranges

Hi,

My wife and I live in Anderson County. I would like to get her to a range this weekend but she is a bit self conscious. We are both on the newb side, although we both have our HCP. I shoot at various ranges across the state when I am traveling, and have never been locally. Can someone please recommend a good range in the KNoxville area that would not be too intimidating for my wife? Also, perhaps a nice slow time to go when it is not too crowded?

Thanks!

Edited by chap190
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

My wife and I live in Anderson County. I would like to get her to a range this weekend but she is a bit self conscious. We are both on the newb side, although we both have our HCP. I shoot at various ranges across the state when I am traveling, and have never been locally. Can someone please recommend a good range in the KNoxville area that would not be too intimidating for my wife? Also, perhaps a nice slow time to go when it is not too crowded?

Thanks!

Sounds like Norris Watershed range is the place.

$40/year for each of you for June to June. Very cheap assuming you go once in a while.

$20 one time use.

- OS

Guest bkelm18

Frontier Firearms just opened a new range and shop just outside of Oak Ridge. From what I hear it is great. The staff has always been friendly every time I've been to the shop.

Sounds like Norris Watershed range is the place.

$40/year for each of you for June to June. Very cheap assuming you go once in a while.

$20 one time use.

- OS

IIRC Norris will sell a pair of annual passes to husband and wife for 60 bucks total.

Guest bkelm18
Stay away from Coal Creek Armory.

Well if you go purely for the range I'd say it's ok. Just don't really talk to any of the staff. 50/50 chance of you being treated like you're wasting their time.

Cheapest around is of course John Sevier Range in North Knox County, just 5.50 for 2 hours.

But it's pretty uptight range marshal controlled shooting situation, bench only (sitting down), and closest targets are I believe over 10 yards.

- OS

Thanks for the info, Guys.

We have been to Norris - in fact that is where we took our shooting portion for our HCP requirement last year. We went back several weeks ago, but the range was full and while we were waiting, my wife got kind of freaked out at some of the folks that were there and she made us turn around and leave. I won't go into details....I am sure it was an isolated thing but now she is adamant that she wants to go to a more supervised indoor range. I prefer the outdoors, but if I am going to talk her into going, I have to play by her rules and make her feel comfortable.

I have seen the new Frontier location - looks very nice and I have heard good things about them - We may try that one.

I am not familiar with the John Sevier Range. They make you shoot sitting down?? Really?

I have heard that about Coal Creek, but I certainly don't have any experience. I would also like to possibly demo a new Sig P220.

Is it generally less busy on Saturday or Sunday? I usually do my range time on the week nights while traveling...

Thanks again for your replies!

I don't know where in Knoxville you are.....but if you want to take a beautiful drive out east a bit, I can recommend a great place to go. It's in the Cherokee National Forest in Greene County not too far from Del Rio. Just head out 40 east and get off in Newport, then get on Hwy 25 north toward Hot Springs and Asheville. After you pass Del Rio, look for Hwy 107 and hang a left. Go about a mile or two and you'll see a sign on your left for Bubbling Springs Shooting Range. It costs $2 per vehicle and there's a little box that you put your money in. Usually there's no one there.....once in a while there might be one other car. There are three shooting benches and no range marshall there. You can pretty much do whatever you want to do and shoot at whatever you want to shoot at. I've taken everything from targets to cases of cheap soda or even pumpkins and squash to shoot at. You can practice rapid fire, shooting from your holster, whatever. While you're out there be sure to check out Meadowcreek Fire Tower (gorgeous views!) and Paint Creek (camping, fishing, crystal clear trout filled water, picnicking, beautiful scenery!).....make a day of it. You won't be disappointed! Feel free to pm me if you would like any more info on the area. ;)

I must have been writing my post when you posted yours chap, sorry. If she wants a supervised range, then that wouldn't be for her. I think Coal Creek has a ladies night on Wednesdays (you'll have to double check on that)....that might be a good time to go there. If I remember correctly, I think they even let the men that accompany the ladies in for free......again, you'd better double check. ;)

I am not familiar with the John Sevier Range. They make you shoot sitting down?? Really?..

Yep, strictly a bench range. I think there are other options if you actually join the Volunteer Rifle Club which uses the facility.

All the supervision you want, though. And more. :)

- OS

Thanks again for all the replies. I think that we will check out Frontier, at least until she gets a little more comfortable. It is not supervision she wants, necessarily...... rather a more controlled environment to start out.

Packinmama - -I really, really like the idea of the range you mentioned, and plan on working her up to it. Like you said, we can make a day of it. Fun.

Thanks again for all the replies. I think that we will check out Frontier, at least until she gets a little more comfortable....

Not sure what the issue was at Norris, but sure, unsafe doofuses can show anywhere, you always must be vigilant.

Generally, it's not overly crowded there, especially during the week.

I don't mess with the handgun side much, just shoot them at variety of stuff over on the rifle side in between shooting rifles.

- OS

Guest TargetShooter84
Well if you go purely for the range I'd say it's ok. Just don't really talk to any of the staff. 50/50 chance of you being treated like you're wasting their time.

Everytime I go, they ignore the customers like they're wasting their time.....everytime.

I must have been writing my post when you posted yours chap, sorry. If she wants a supervised range, then that wouldn't be for her. I think Coal Creek has a ladies night on Wednesdays (you'll have to double check on that)....that might be a good time to go there. If I remember correctly, I think they even let the men that accompany the ladies in for free......again, you'd better double check. :)

Actually, its Tuesday all day open to close that is Ladies day that get in free while the guys that accompany them gets in for $5 instead of $10.

• 3 weeks later...

I go to Norris ......... it's a gamble every time.

On another note, I just went to Frontier on Friday ........... great place, very nice folks willing to answer any questions and give advice.

Was looking to sign up the wife for a HCP class and ended up signing her up for even more. Very helpful staff ........... the store is not huge, but adequate for just about anything you might need. I went in looking for a gun safe and just thought I'd check them out ............. ended up signing up the wife and I for an HCP class, the wife for a "ladies" training class, possibly a future combat class plus the wife got to handle a few CC brands she really liked.

They really promote a family atmosphere which included the wife and kids in many shooting events they have coming up. I would highly suggest giving them a look. They have a few pellet (air gun) fun shoots coming up for the kids if anyone is interested.

The prices seemed pretty fair and I was informed that the owner tries to beat any big-box store pricing if given the chance. I didn't end up finding a safe but they did tell me to give them a price quote if I find one at another store and they will beat it.

I was pretty impressed overall.

Range Report:

If my memory is correct -

I believe there were at least 6 indoor, well ventilated shooting lanes

$12 for the range ....... as long as you want it - and you can use your own ammo.

$15 for a rental - must buy ammo at Frontier if renting a firearm. You can change out the rental at any time. (my wife liked that idea).

They offer a few different memberships which include 5% off ammo, etc.

The range targets can be stationary or fully automated to turn, quick turn, advance, low light conditions, strobe, etc. ............. it looks to be a great range and appears to be the equivalent to a good LEO indoor range.

Brian

Guest tnxdshooter
Thanks for the info, Guys.

We have been to Norris - in fact that is where we took our shooting portion for our HCP requirement last year. We went back several weeks ago, but the range was full and while we were waiting, my wife got kind of freaked out at some of the folks that were there and she made us turn around and leave. I won't go into details....I am sure it was an isolated thing but now she is adamant that she wants to go to a more supervised indoor range. I prefer the outdoors, but if I am going to talk her into going, I have to play by her rules and make her feel comfortable.

I have seen the new Frontier location - looks very nice and I have heard good things about them - We may try that one.

I am not familiar with the John Sevier Range. They make you shoot sitting down?? Really?

I have heard that about Coal Creek, but I certainly don't have any experience. I would also like to possibly demo a new Sig P220.

Is it generally less busy on Saturday or Sunday? I usually do my range time on the week nights while traveling...

Thanks again for your replies!

Yeah I stopped going to john seveir because of the range nazis and the fact you have to sit down, and the fact you cant double tap or rapid fire. I never had a problem with coal creek of course I just used them for their range and nothing else. It was the range I preferred while in the Knoxville area. I have not been up to the new frontier but would like to get up there sometime here real soon. I am not sure how far you are willing to drive but fugates firearms in calhoun has an indoor range and it is like 7 bucks per hour.

Guest tnxdshooter
I think you mentioned weekend and some discussion relative to Coal Creek. I believe they close the range to the public on Saturday afternoons/evenings for the HCP permit class.

Ive been there on saturday afternoons and it was never closed. Only on the certain saturday of every month or something.

Guest tnxdshooter
I go to Norris ......... it's a gamble every time.

On another note, I just went to Frontier on Friday ........... great place, very nice folks willing to answer any questions and give advice.

Was looking to sign up the wife for a HCP class and ended up signing her up for even more. Very helpful staff ........... the store is not huge, but adequate for just about anything you might need. I went in looking for a gun safe and just thought I'd check them out ............. ended up signing up the wife and I for an HCP class, the wife for a "ladies" training class, possibly a future combat class plus the wife got to handle a few CC brands she really liked.

They really promote a family atmosphere which included the wife and kids in many shooting events they have coming up. I would highly suggest giving them a look. They have a few pellet (air gun) fun shoots coming up for the kids if anyone is interested.

The prices seemed pretty fair and I was informed that the owner tries to beat any big-box store pricing if given the chance. I didn't end up finding a safe but they did tell me to give them a price quote if I find one at another store and they will beat it.

I was pretty impressed overall.

Range Report:

If my memory is correct -

I believe there were at least 6 indoor, well ventilated shooting lanes

$12 for the range ....... as long as you want it - and you can use your own ammo.

$15 for a rental - must buy ammo at Frontier if renting a firearm. You can change out the rental at any time. (my wife liked that idea).

They offer a few different memberships which include 5% off ammo, etc.

The range targets can be stationary or fully automated to turn, quick turn, advance, low light conditions, strobe, etc. ............. it looks to be a great range and appears to be the equivalent to a good LEO indoor range.

Brian

prices good? Everytime I have gotten a quote from them on a firearm they were at least 30.00 higher than anywhere else.

Guest landman08

John Seiver Range has the pistol range open on Sundays. $5.50 per person for 2hrs. Yes, the range officers run a tight safe range. The pistol range has targets at 3, 7, 15, 20 yrds and you do not sit down. There are usually instructors there that can assist her if you ask for help.

Seiverville Indoor Range in Seiverville is also a great range. Rental guns, clean well ventalited, well lite indoor range. They offer several different classes as well as private instruction.

Happy to hear your wife is interested in guns and shooting. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Semi-related to this topic, but does anyone know what the longest rifle range is in East TN? Basically around the Knoxville / Tri-Cities areas? I think the longest local one I know about is 200 yards.

Thanks!

ORSA has 1,000 yard range, among others.

- OS