Phil Mickelson's Daily Golf Tip...

Guest Glock23ForMe

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

He faced one direction and it went in another. All I can think of is the penalty of billiards/pool where you don't strike the ball, but you scoop/push it. Temporarily holding it on the face of the club. Other than a tremendous amount of English/top spin/bottom spin/whatever spin, I don't know how it's a fair shot.

... Other than a tremendous amount of English/top spin/bottom spin/whatever spin, I don't know how it's a fair shot.

Look at club face at address, actually slightly more than horiz, with huge swing with actual back loft, generating tremendous spin. Of course it's legal.

Matter of fact, there's no rule in golf saying a ball has to come off a club in a certain length of time, just that it can't be contacted more than once per swing.

Very few pros hit a straight ball very often.

They have their overall fade/draw/straight tendencies, but work pretty much every shot for max benefit depending on variety of factors.

- OS

In all seriousness, I have seen Phil demonstrate that shot a couple of times. It is quite amazing. I have been sitting in that kind of lie a bunch of times. Typically, I would be in the bunker or at the end of the green. I carry a 60 Titleist Vokey wedge, and it is my most difficult club in the bag especially if I haven't been playing that much.

In all seriousness, I have seen Phil demonstrate that shot a couple of times. It is quite amazing. I have been sitting in that kind of lie a bunch of times. Typically, I would be in the bunker or at the end of the green. I carry a 60 Titleist Vokey wedge, and it is my most difficult club in the bag especially if I haven't been playing that much.

Well, note that AFAIK Phil has never hit that shot in actual pro round.

A major diff with pros is that most of the time their misses don't end up in a worst case scenario place, like ours.

- OS

Guest Glock23ForMe
Well, note that AFAIK Phil has never hit that shot in actual pro round.

A major diff with pros is that most of the time their misses don't end up in a worst case scenario place, like ours.

- OS

Pebble Beach 2004, AT&T Pro-Am, 3rd Hole I believe...

It's the only time he has ever done it. I heard him talking about it with a reporter.

First Ten Seconds...

watch?v=3PslA4WcSos

watch?v=3PslA4WcSos&feature=related

Edited by Glock23ForMe