I'm on a revolver kick lately

Capbyrd

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been much of a revolver guy myself but I can appreciate the nice solid less-is-more straightforwardness of the better ones.

Those new Chiappa Rhinos do have me taking a hard look at finally picking up my first one.

SP101s are OK, but nothing special. That H&R .22 on the other hand is a real sleeper!!! Most people have no idea how accurate those things are. And forget ammo sensitivity! It will work reliably no matter what type of ammo you put in it. With a just a little practice, you can reload about as quickly as most semi-autos.

SP101s are OK, but nothing special. That H&R .22 on the other hand is a real sleeper!!! Most people have no idea how accurate those things are. And forget ammo sensitivity! It will work reliably no matter what type of ammo you put in it. With a just a little practice, you can reload about as quickly as most semi-autos.

Ditto. That H&R should be a real tackdriver.

Me too. There is something about a finely crafted and tuned revolver. I have 4 ruger wheel guns and one Smith and Wesson revolver and I find myself leaving the semi-autos at home more and more when I go to the range. I shoot less ammo and have more fun and zero failures. Cleaning them is easier too. That H&R just knocks me out! I want to know how it shoots. I know a fellow who owns six of them NIB from the 1960s. He will not sell one.

+1 on everything said about the H&R. Every one I have ever fired has been accurate and the triggers are great, probably because they were produced long before we became such a litigious society. They are definitely a sleeper because most people walk right by them not knowing how accurate they really are.

If you ever decide to part with the H&R keep me in mind. I might be interested in it. I was looking for one of the fancy, engraved models for the longest time but they have gone thru the roof lately.

Dolomite

I also lucked into a like new H&R 999 in absolutely perfect condition. It is a lot of fun to shoot. I have no plans to part with mine anytime soon. Watch that rear sight and make sure both screws stay tight. They are bad about coming loose and loosing the blade sight. mine fell out on me the first time I took it out shooting but I was able to find it.

Guest Halfpint

Good looking guns, man. I'm looking at an SP101 for mom eventually . . . and the H&R reminds me of when I was a kid. :) Slick little top-break, reliable as all get-out.

Revolvers are hard to beat. They nearly always function. If they don't fire, you simply pull the trigger again. You don't have to hunt for your brass if you reload, and if the unthinkable happens, you don't leave any evidence at the scene. There are no safeties, buttons, mag releases, etc to fool with. Just point and click. The only possible drawback I can find is that they are slightly thicker than some autos.

Guest Scramasax

I was lucky enough to inherit two of the H&R topbreaks form a great uncle, one 38s&w and one .22. I have always cherished them and enjoyed shooting both. The 22 is like commented a real sleeper. My great uncle used to shoot rabbits on the hop with it. A great man of another generation. With an 8th grade education he self taught himself every thing else. Worked on the A bomb and Vultee planes in wwII.

Cheers,

tad

Guest The Highlander

Those are beautiful! I have an SP101 on my short list, then want to send it to Kentucky and have Gemini work magic. Keep finding other junk to buy first and pushing it back though.

I love revolvers, but unfortunately I've never been as accurate and proficient with them as semi's, which is what I learned on. That is changing as I get a little older, I'm spending more time with wheelguns. I'm going to claim it is because as I age, I get wiser!

You have reminded me that my Dad has an H&R .22 like yours as I recall. I need to talk him into letting me "range test and clean it" for him. Don't think I've ever fired it, but as I recall it is in nowhere near the shape your is.