Direct TV or Dish......That is the question.

Direct or Dish??  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Direct or Dish??

• Direct TV
    • Dish Network

Well, I am seriously considering switching to satellite TV and giving Comcast the boot.

I would like to hear of anybody's experience with Dish or Direct. Any comments are welcome: installation issues, channel selection, reception issues, customer service, billing problems, etc.... Let me hear it all! :rofl:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have Direct just then general package with locals. I don't subscribe to HD or any of the movie channels. I am OK with it.

I will tell you this. I have been on the promotion plan for 7 years. Every time they try to discontinue the 10 dollars a month discount, I call, complain, tell them I will cancel and go to comcast or dish and they give me the discount again for another year. I just renewed my discount again last month for another 12 months.

Is one going to be better then the other, I could not tell you.

Voting Direct since I have never used Dish.'

But also so you know I get my internet from Comcast and I have no problems there either. I would almost just go totally comcast, I could probably save some money.

Had Dish a few years back. I was happy with the packages and the actual satellite service but the installation was sloppy and I had to peak the dish after he left. I suspect that my installation was an exception rather than the rule.

Guest mn32768

I've had both DirecTV and Dish Network. DirecTV kept on messing up my billing (charging over and over again "rental" for equipment that I owned, phantom charges for pay-per-view) and when I moved to a new house I switched to Dish.

The house had already cabling for satellite from the previous owner, but the Dish contractor decided to lay an ugly row of fasteners all over the exterior wall and drill a 1/2" hole through the siding to pull the cable. I ripped off the "installation" and used the existing cabling instead.

That aside, Dish has been problem-free for the past six years. They've even replaced my receiver twice free of charge. I don't get HD or any other goodies so I don't know how that would compare with DirecTV. Dish doesn't seem to be too particular about programming; I've gotten free premium channels at various times (e.g. I had about 18 months of Starz free for no apparent reason).

Guest clownsdd

I used Direct TV, Comcast Internet and AT&T landline & cell.

Little more expensive that way, but I tried each combination program and came up with my own.

Thanks, everybody for the comments. I have compared the prices of Dish and Direct, and they are comparable, so price really isn't a factor. Honestly, I leaning towards Direct, but I have heard that their on-screen guide is not as user friendly to use as Dish. Anyone have any insight on that?

I guess AT&T Uverse isn't an option where you live? :(

Unfortunately, no. I have heard good things about Uverse, but I have no idea when it would be coming to my area of Nashville.

Guest uofmeet

i got direct TV almost 2 months ago....had comcast.....loving Direct TV. Much more HD, much better picture plus NFL sunday ticket. I have no problem with the on screen guide what so ever..works pretty cool. PLus i have the iphone app for direct TV and can set my DVR from my phone. Been very pleased so far.

Either one will give you a better picture over cable. The down side is $5.00 a month for every extra receiver. I had Dish for years and have had Direct for the last few. About the only difference I have found between the two is the menu was a lot better on Dish. It may not be that way now and I may have felt that way because I went to something different than what I was used to.

I have direct and love it but never had dish I did have comcast about 10 years ago and will never go back to the sorry local service. It may have improved by now

The local direct service burned me with the"new installation pkg" They got it all installed and the "free" installation went out the window because we had direct before comcast. I went around and round with them but lost the battle. I still like the service and guide but I think you do run into different menus with different receivers this is what I ran into. We have a samsung with a tivo which I didn't like a first but got use to it I think the other was a hughes It does cut out during bad storms. Any problems we have had they take of promptly very good customer service. All and all I love it. The tivo is a must no more commercials for me

Edited by laktrash

have direct tv and love it ...

i subscribe to most of the channels, get MLB Extra Innings and NBA League Pass ... Expensive no doubt but I just love all the HD. They reinstalled everything for FREE at our new house about 3-4 months ago, without a hiccup.

Had AT&T internet and line phones = not happy at all. Cancelled it a week or two ago, and plan to go with comcast cable internet.

have direct tv and love it ...

i subscribe to most of the channels, get MLB Extra Innings and NBA League Pass ... Expensive no doubt but I just love all the HD. They reinstalled everything for FREE at our new house about 3-4 months ago, without a hiccup.

Had AT&T internet and line phones = not happy at all. Cancelled it a week or two ago, and plan to go with comcast cable internet.

Where they got me was that I had it before comcast, but had comcast for several years. Nothing was said about this before installation. It "conveniently" came up after the dish was up. But thats alright I think he is going out of business after many years. I had good dealings with them in the past but maybe their practices have changed. I'm having issues with AT&T lines and the internet right now and for about a month back not happy with them right now, just trying to ride this out

Edited by laktrash