Pet Peeve / Soft Spot.... But It Is Warranted....

Guest Glock23ForMe

Guest Glock23ForMe

I'm not trying to disrespect anyone on here, but if you fall into this category... Sorry...

Thursday night, Alison and I went to the Predator's game, they won, :D, and I left happy. However, something happened before the first puck dropped that made me very upset. Whenever the lady was singing The Star Spangled Banner someone a few rows behind me, began to "Boo" at the "rocket's red glare..." part.

This bothers me for a number of reasons.

Yes, I realize you have freedom of speech, but when you're exercising that freedom/right against the symbol that gives you that... Is something to be concerned with. I don't care if you're from Canada, Mexico, Afghanistan, India or England, if you're in the United States and someone is singing to MY flag, our flag, don't boo. I'm not going to boo anyone else's flag.

Another thing that bothers me is people that "Support the troops, but don't support the war.." I'm not trying to start a "Pro or Anti-War" thread here, however, IMHO, if you don't support the mission, you can't support those on the mission. I realize that other things that happen and developments have occurred, however, young men, women, and some people's children are going across the world to serve the people, US. I have people I graduated high school with, 2007, that have been to Iraq and Afghanistan TWICE, and I have a really, really good friend that had to pull the top half of his friend out of a tree after their convoy got hit by and IED or mine or whatever. He will never again be the same... I've talked to him since, however, and he's not the same person, but how can you expect him to be.

I realize there are all kinds of clichés that say, "We support you," but I like to stick with the "Thank You." Honestly, every time the TN State Flag drops and the American Flag is held high with The Star Spangled Banner playing, I get cold chills down my back, and almost tear up thinking about some of the guys that walked next to me on the stage at graduation, looking up to it and vowing to protect this country and it's people from ALL enemies foreign and domestic, against any threat deemed necessary.

I guess what I'm rambling about is that, if you don't get cold chills whenever that flag is held, and see pictures in your mind of some young person, someone's son, daughter, brother, sister, even father, that they could never meet, of that person lifting their head to that flag and taking it serious... Something needs to be addressed. Some American's have lost the sense that we have FOUGHT for the rights that we hold dear, and some of those are still being fought for today. People have died for us to be able to be on this forum, go to the religious ceremony we choose, say what we want, eat where we want, marry who we want, and, God Willing, have as many children as we want. The difference in the soldiers in the War of Independence and in the War in Iraq are a couple of things... The year and the uniform... In the heart, they feel the exact same thing. They salute the same symbol, OUR FLAG, although it has changed, it still stands for the same thing. Fighting for the rights of those behind. Fighting for the freedom of others, even if it does cost them their life.

For those of you that serve, served or will serve in the Armed Forces in domestic areas or foreign countries, I salute, thank, and pray for you. I will forever be behind you and believe in your mission, and above all THANK YOU for putting yourself on the line for me, and, especially, those that don't believe in what you're fighting for. We appreciate it. I love this country, and those that fight for it. I, myself, never was a military-type person, but I can see the faces of some of those I know, in that helmet, holding a rifle, defending me, my family and those around me and it brings a tear to my eye for them and their families.

Thank You.

:drama:

Edited by Glock23ForMe
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a veteran and proud American (qualifier met). I am confused. Why does this action and others like it bother people more than offensive pictures/ billboards of the leader (current and former) of OUR country? Enlighten me. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so I am always open to learning something new. Obama has been weak and clueless, but he is our leader. By the way I agree with you, but I would still like to read some responses to my question.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I am a veteran and proud American (qualifier met). I am confused. Why does this action and others like it bother people more than offensive pictures/ billboards of the leader (current and former) of OUR country? Enlighten me. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so I am always open to learning something new. Obama has been weak and clueless, but he is our leader. By the way I agree with you, but I would still like to read some responses to my question.

Personally, I don't agree with a lot of things that the Big O does, and I do question his ability to run this country, however, I do not disrespect him. I think of it like me and my dad... I may disagree with something he tells me to, and when I'm in my room I'll throw crap and break something, but when I'm standing right in front of him or out in public, I'm not going to disrespect him, not only because he has a belt, but because he's there. I respect Obama, but politely disagree with him in some ways.

Because Presidents are men. Our flag and our anthem stand for something much more, they stand for an ideal, they are symbols of our country.

Personally, I don't agree with a lot of things that the Big O does, and I do question his ability to run this country, however, I do not disrespect him. I think of it like me and my dad... I may disagree with something he tells me to, and when I'm in my room I'll throw crap and break something, but when I'm standing right in front of him or out in public, I'm not going to disrespect him, not only because he has a belt, but because he's there. I respect Obama, but politely disagree with him in some ways.

Respect is earned. When he does one thing that earns himself the right to lead our country I'll respect him, until then he's just a man that got voted into an office and is doing a piss poor job.

"THE PRESIDENT" is also a symbol of our country.

Agreed.

I disagree. The President is an office, a person. While they are the "leader" of the country, they are simply a figure head, a speaker for the American people. "Symbols" are things that represent who we are as a country and what we stand for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Punisher84
:drama:

Nice rebuttal. You decided to hijack the thread with your own question, would you prefer all the answers be only to your liking?

If you can tell me what makes the office of president distinctly American I'd be intrigued to hear your viewpoint, as opposed to hearing your eyes rattle around your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Sgt. Joe

First off, Glock23 reading posts like that from someone your age really gives me the same chills as does Ole Glory.

It gives me strength and renews my hope in this Great Country, it helps restore my faith in all of our youth although I know many are clueless to the things of which you speak as are many older folks. Words and thoughts of wisdom from our young people is what will keep our nation strong and FREE.

You say sometimes you dont agree with your dad and I am sure that is true, but I can tell from your words that he has done a dam fine job of teaching you right and wrong. I respect him for teaching you right and I respect you for learning it.

As far as the Pres. or the "Office Of". They are two very different things, the "Office Of" is deserving of respect but any man or woman who may sit in that office has to EARN my respect.

It is no different than when we served. I am pretty certain that everyone who has served, has at some point during that service had someone who out ranked them that they did not care for and in some cases maybe even hated.

But we still had to respect the rank that they wore whether we liked or respected the person wearing that rank or not. That Capt or Major that was a complete jackass still got our Salutes because of the rank that he or she wore, not because we respected or liked the person behind that rank.

The Office Of the President of the United States is the most powerful office on the planet and deserves respect no matter who is sitting behind the desk.

But respect for the person sitting behind that desk or for anyone for that matter is just like freedom.

Freedom as we know is not free and must be fought for. Respect is also not free it must also be fought for and earned in the hearts and minds of other people. Respect is not something that I just give to another person, my respect must be earned by anyone. I give my respect freely to symbols such as our Flag, the rank one may wear or the office one may hold.

I dont have to like the Officer but I do have to salute him to show respect for the rank he or she wears, I dont have to like the President but I do have to respect the office that he holds. I may not can stand the person holding our Flag, but that does not in any way effect my respect for that Flag.

I served to protect Everyones Rights, not just the rights of those who agree with me....Everyone....but I also reserve those same rights for myself.

I hope that makes sense and does not offend anyone, but if it does, So be it.

I have the right to like, dislike, respect or not respect any man or woman just as they have the right to like or dislike me and the right to respect me or not respect me.

It is called Freedom and I served to Protect that for everyone.

First off, Glock23 reading posts like that from someone your age really gives me the same chills as does Ole Glory.

It gives me strength and renews my hope in this Great Country, it helps restore my faith in all of our youth although I know many are clueless to the things of which you speak as are many older folks. Words and thoughts of wisdom from our young people is what will keep our nation strong and FREE.

You say sometimes you dont agree with your dad and I am sure that is true, but I can tell from your words that he has done a dam fine job of teaching you right and wrong. I respect him for teaching you right and I respect you for learning it.

As far as the Pres. or the "Office Of". They are two very different things, the "Office Of" is deserving of respect but any man or woman who may sit in that office has to EARN my respect.

It is no different than when we served. I am pretty certain that everyone who has served, has at some point during that service had someone who out ranked them that they did not care for and in some cases maybe even hated.

But we still had to respect the rank that they wore whether we liked or respected the person wearing that rank or not. That Capt or Major that was a complete jackass still got our Salutes because of the rank that he or she wore, not because we respected or liked the person behind that rank.

The Office Of the President of the United States is the most powerful office on the planet and deserves respect no matter who is sitting behind the desk.

But respect for the person sitting behind that desk or for anyone for that matter is just like freedom.

Freedom as we know is not free and must be fought for. Respect is also not free it must also be fought for and earned in the hearts and minds of other people. Respect is not something that I just give to another person, my respect must be earned by anyone. I give my respect freely to symbols such as our Flag, the rank one may wear or the office one may hold.

I dont have to like the Officer but I do have to salute him to show respect for the rank he or she wears, I dont have to like the President but I do have to respect the office that he holds. I may not can stand the person holding our Flag, but that does not in any way effect my respect for that Flag.

I served to protect Everyones Rights, not just the rights of those who agree with me....Everyone....but I also reserve those same rights for myself.

I have the right to like, dislike, respect or not respect any man or woman just as they have the right to like or dislike me and the right to respect me or not respect me.

Wow! You hit the nail on the head and no one should be offended. You have found the words that I couldn't to describe how I feel on that matter.

That's what I was reaching for. Thank you for saying it FAR better than I did Sgt. Joe. :drama:

I have been when Nashville has played Dallas, and the Dallas fans all yell STARS! I did not really appreciate that much. The booing would have gotten to me also.

Who would know there were rockets in 1812 if not for the "Star Spangled Banner"?

There has been a coordinated effort to change the anthem to "America the Beautiful" for some time now.

People that have no respect for the very freedoms that they are born with simply by being born in America should be dropped off in Communist North Korea. I understand they are eatting grass and twigs.

I bet once they got a taste of no freedom they would beg to come home.

Yesterday while In Gander Mountain I saw an older man wearing a WW II Veteran's hat. I offer him my hand and shock his hand and thanked him.

He told me he joined the Navy in 45 at 17 and stayed in 41 years.