Help me pick a fixed blade

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DanE479

I would have said Strider DB-L. Great plate carrier knife. Small enough to be light enough, but big enough to do what you need it to and take a beating. Roumor has it that Strider is going to start adding a notch in the spine of the knife to help you use it as a way to remove a stuck casing in your M-4 that would otherwise require some serious attention and down time (or a proper tool).

ZT 0100 kicks butt as well, and their new bayonet is that baddest mother on the block.

Bark river's STS line would be a good choice as well.

I know the OP has bought one, but I figured I'd add my $.02

Guest DanE479
I have to agree. I've carried this knife all over the world and it's never let me down.

The only issue I have with the LMF2 is that it has serrations. Serrations are horrible on a heavy use field/combat knife because they are not field maintainable, and take away from useable cutting surface when the serrations wear out. That's why you will see the most popular pro-grade military field/combat knives are plain edge...

Congrats! I really like my RC-4 (ESEE previously known as Rat Cutlery). I also have a Swamp Rat SAR but it sees very little use. IMO a 3"-4" blade need be no thicker than .18" thick and .15" or .125" is just fine. I don't understand the craze over these short, thick semi-custom blades. Too short to chop, too thick to slice (well).

rat005.jpg

• 2 months later...
I'm getting ESEE fever. Are there any stores in the Nashville area that carry these? I'm thinking of either an ESEE-4 or a ESEE-5 but would like to handle both before making a decision.

Me too. I think I'm gonna go with a RC-3 for EDC and a RC-5 for outdoor activities. Both look like they will fit the bill quite well. Don't know of any stores around here to fondle them though.

There's a place in Camden, TN that sells ESEE knives I believe. Look on their website and it will tell you for sure. I handled the ESEE-4 (same handle design as the 3) and the 5 when I was at Smokey Mtn Knife Works. The 5 has a more ergonomic handle and feels a little more natural in your hand, but the increased weight is definitely noticeable. I went with the ESEE-6 to get the same blade length as the 5 (only slightly longer) but with a little less weight to it. I've been thinking about ordering a ESEE-4 next. If you decide to get one online, try The Knife Connection. That's where mine came from and I read nothing but positive reviews of their service before placing my order.

One word. Kbar. It's all you will ever need.

kbar2.JPG

The only Achilles Heel of the USMC style Ka-Bar is the very narrow tang. Especially if you get rust up under the grip:

tour_tangstamp.jpg

tour_grinding.jpg

tour_leathercompression.jpg

That said, very few of them break, and certainly not without some significant abuse.

- OS

Guest 10mm4me

If you want a top of the line sticker, go to www.skknives.com and shoot Steve Kelly an e-mail. He is an amazing bladesmith and is also a great guy. He does all kinds of payment plans and will work with you through e-mail to get the exact knife you want.

Note that they make the same mil spec fighting/utility knife with Kraton G grip too, in black and green, which really beats the leather hands down,probably last as long as the steel does.

1211_large.jpg

- OS

I have the same knife, and it was on my OTV Body Armor while downrange. Never had to use it for anything other than utility tasks, but held up well, and price wasn't bad. I like the handle better for that use rather than the leather handle for sure.