Any suggestions for a long gun for my fiancé?

I have been thinking about getting her a gun so she can go shooting with me and have her own gun. So far I have came up with maybe a pink ar-15 or a pink 10/22.

I have started shooting skeet lately and thought maybe a shotgun. I have no idea what models have pink stocks or what gauge to get. Any suggestions ladies or gents?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mosinon

When buying presents you always want to get people what they want, not what you think they want. So you need to let her decide.

I'd recommend laying a 10/22, a 12 gauge, a mini 14, and a 30/30 next to each other. Then pull out a mop with a pink handle and a sign that says "make me a sandwich"

This is the moment of truth. When she grabs for a one of the guns take note and buy the one she tried to kill you with for her.

• Moderators
When buying presents you always want to get people what they want, not what you think they want. So you need to let her decide.

I'd recommend laying a 10/22, a 12 gauge, a mini 14, and a 30/30 next to each other. Then pull out a mop with a pink handle and a sign that says "make me a sandwich"

This is the moment of truth. When she grabs for a one of the guns take note and buy the one she tried to kill you with for her.

WINNAR!

LMFAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Broomhead

FROTFFLMFAO!!!

But, he's right. Don't try to surprise her with a gun. Surprise her with buying her a gun. There is a difference. Instead of buying something and taking it to her, take her to the store and pick one out. Don't let the salesperson talk her into, or out of, anything. Have her handle as many guns as she possibly can, don't stick to just models that may or may not have pink accessories, rattle cans can work pretty good. Try as hard as you can to allow her to shoot the ones she is interested in before any purchase is made. She might get more use from a .22 than a shotgun, .22 ammo is cheaper, .223 and shot shells are much louder and have more recoil than a .22. However, she may end up being a recoil junkie. To sum it all up, get her what she wants, not what anyone thinks she wants.

Guest clownsdd

Sounds like you are going to have to get at least 2. One for plinking 10/22 and one for skeet shotgun (I like the stoeger o/u).

But like the others said. Weapon of choice is a personal decision. Take her with you when you buy.

I do not know the size of your lady friend, but one avenue you might wish to consider is youth guns. I bought a youth model 870 20ga for my girlfriend to shoot clays with, it fits her well, and the recoil is managable for her out of a 20. With that said, that is just another option for you all the think about, but yes, she should pick out her own.

Well an ar15 is out of the picture haha, I asked her and she just gave me a stupid look. The reason I mentioned an ar is bc I could start her on a .22 conversion and then if she wanted to shoot .223 later on down the road she could. I'm kinda leaning toward a 10/22, bc like you all were saying she scared of my twelve gauge so if I get her a shotgun she might not want to shoot it. Maybe I'd she gets a little more comfortable later on down the road she might then want a shotgun.

Ask her if she'd like to have her own rifle or shotgun first and then let her look at as many as you can find first. For a .22LR semi auto in an AR type platform the SU 22 is pretty nice, the Ruger 10/22 and Marlin semi auto .22LR's are also great.

My wife wanted a single shot .410 and that's what I bought her for Christmas, she has access to my 12 ga if she need's it. All of her handguns were picked out and purchsed by her, I stayed out of it.

Edited by TNWNGR

I think the main reason she doesn't want an ar15 is the look. I asked her about if I got her one just for .22 and she didn't like it. After talking to her some more I'm probably gonna get her a 10/22. I found a regular model with a pink stock, as I'm not sure if she would like a bull barrel or not so that's going to be up to her after she has it for a little while

A bull barrel on a 10/22? What does that accomplish other than just making it heavier?

Does she specifically want a pink gun, or is that your idea? My wife hates pink.

Has she been shooting with you before? If not, you need to take her with you, let her shoot various guns and let her decide what she wants. Personally, I'd think a 20ga or .410 would be a good 1st choice. Plenty of instant gratification with exploding targets to keep her interested.

I think the main reason she doesn't want an ar15 is the look. I asked her about if I got her one just for .22 and she didn't like it. After talking to her some more I'm probably gonna get her a 10/22. I found a regular model with a pink stock, as I'm not sure if she would like a bull barrel or not so that's going to be up to her after she has it for a little while

A 10/22 is a great idea. If she likes shooting, you can always upgrade. If she doesn't, you haven't dumped a ton of cash. Does she really like pink guns? I know a few girls that don't.

why is pink so important to most men who consider buying a gun for a woman?

In this day of liberation I would think woman would find it insulting to not get a "regular" colored stock on a firearm.

My favorite color is red, does not mean I want a red gun.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
why is pink so important to most men who consider buying a gun for a woman?

In this day of liberation I would think woman would find it insulting to not get a "regular" colored stock on a firearm.

My favorite color is red, does not mean I want a red gun.

So true.

Sitting on the shelf at Franklin Gun Shop is a used pink Glock 26. A gentleman bought it new, sent it away to have all of the metal bits turned pink. He presented it to his wife....... who wanted nothing to do with it. He traded it.....at a huge loss..... for a regular 26.

Guest KimberChick

Yeah, pink guns are cool....if you're 7 years old. ;)

I've had(myself or by-proxy lol) and shot, at one time or another....a Rem 700 pss in 7mm mag, a Benelli Nova tactical in 12ga, a Mossberg persuader (loaded with KO slugs) in 12ga, a Bushmaster AR-15...and FN-FAL....none were pink, lol.

I currently only have a 10/22 in the long gun dept. It's fun, cheap and can be shot at an indoor range. It's the "walmart special" version with the long barrel. I think I gave around $200.00 for it new and I still shoot ironsights. If we get invaded by zombie squirrels, then by God, I'm ready. :D

I'm going to build an AR-15 in .223 and another 700, but this time in .308. I'm an accuracy nerd from years of archery and I also wanna be able to reach out and touch someone if the need arises.

Ask her what she wants to do with if. If she's not sure, but wants to try it out, go pick up one of these 10/22s. If she thinks she might like a scope, slap an inexpensive one on it.

Guest Daelith

Please don't get her a pink gun unless that's what she wants.

I had to refrain from smacking a Wal-Mart employee upside his head when I was shopping for a case for my 10/22. He kept trying to get me to buy the pink camo pattern. ;)

KimberChick is right about checking with her as to what she's going to want do with it and what she's going to be comfortable with. If you can, borrow a 10/22 from someone for her to try, I bet she will like it. No recoil and not very loud. Bullets are cheap.

Hubby just put a new barrel, stock and scope on mine. I've got to get the scope sighted in.

I have a 10/22 and she has shot it a few times and has seen me shoot it. The reason I am looking for pink is that lately she has been on a pink kick for the past year. She said that if I got her some type of gun she would like it to be pink, again this is just her first gun she might like other types of stocks and guns later on if she gets really into it.

I was really hoping to get a shotgun but she is a little timid right now with big booms. She relates that with heavy recoil. I think I have decided to get a 10/22 stainless with a hogue pink barrel.

If she doesn't really get into shooting after that, to me at least, it's not a big deal. I think it's a good enough risk to take.I can always either resale it or swap out the stock with my wooden stock that originally came on my 10/22. Thanks for all the advice guys and girls. I'm excited to see how it goes.

I wouldn't really call a 12 gauge with bird shot "heavy" recoil

Well a .223 AR is nowhere near the kick of a 12 GA and you seem to be concerned about that. :stare:

But it doesn’t work worth a damn for skeet.

Edited by DaveTN
Well a .223 AR is nowhere near the kick of a 12 GA and you seem to be concerned about that. :D

But it doesn’t work worth a damn for skeet.

Haha, yeah she knows that, just doesn't want anything but a .22 for right now apparently. I think noise is her biggest thing right now makes her scared.