Food and water questions

Freshly collected egg’s can be preserved by wiping the egg’s clean with a dry towel and then coating them with petroleum jelly and storing in a cool dry place.

I would want to be careful about wiping them too much. When a hen lays an egg, her body puts a natural coating on the egg which helps to preserve it. Washing the egg or wiping it too 'well' can remove that natural coating. I don't know but wonder if coating a fresh egg with petroleum jelly without wiping it clean might help it 'keep' even longer than with just the natural coating, alone.

Here is a link to an article about an experiment with preserving fresh eggs that Mother Earth News did back in the late 1970s. Notice that coating with vaseline is one of the methods they tried:

How To Store Fresh Eggs

FWIW, while I haven't tried leaving them sitting out, I have eaten refrigerated eggs from my chickens that were a few months old (and they still tasted better/fresher than store bought.) I only have six laying hens and they (like most birds) tend to stop or greatly slow down their egg laying during the late Fall and Winter months. Last year, I found that by 'stockpiling' a few dozen toward the end of their full-on laying season, we could pretty well have enough eggs to last until they started laying full-swing, again. In fact, we only had to get a couple dozen 'store-bought' toward the end of the cold weather because we had eaten all the eggs from my hens, not because they had gone bad.

Don't forget, too, that you can pickle eggs. Some people like them, some don't (I usually do) but, speaking from personal experience of some that I pickled then canned in pint jars, they will keep for a really long time.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dragonman
My understanding is, and someone pls confirm, that a salt cured ham will last for yrs. without refrigeration and you can cut a slice off anytime and not worry about it. If it gets moldy you just wipe the mold off. If you find it to salty just soak it in water for a while.
Used to use salt and sugar to preserve meat. Both are natural anti fungal and anti bacterial as they both absorb water and therefore inhibit growth of organisms. Ever notice that your sugar doesn't get moldy when kept dry even though it's loaded with calories? Reason you see more salt cured ham than sugar cured ham is because way back when sugar was very expensive so folks were more inclined to use salt as a preservative.

Comment about waterheaters is good. You'd be surprised to see how many folks never thought of using the water they have in their heater. Another source for another 3+ gallons of water is the back tank (not the bowl) of toliets athough I would use that as a last resort.

Guest MinorKey

I run a small Co-Op for natural foods and 50 pounds of wheat is going for less than 25 bucks. We use UN approved buckets from US Plastics that are the 6.5 gallon life latch lid and the whole 50 fits nicely. You can lengthen the shelf life with Mylar linings and oxygen absorbers but just extra clean and extra dry the gain will store for years in the buckets. You can cook or soak the wheat just like any other grain or grind it for flour if you wish and it has infinitely more nutrition than the bleached dead all-purpose flour you get anywhere else. Be sure to store what you eat and learn to eat and love what you store. Raw honey was used in Egypt as a preservative and can store for years if done properly. It could also be considered liquid gold in a barter situation.

keep it dry!

-MK

1. I have a SteriPen. I've never used it under really 'emergency' circumstances. However, I did notice that my SteriPen (battery operated) has been updated. SteriPen is now available in a non-battery, crank version. I thought that might be important for everyone to know.

2. We live near a large lake. I'd like to know what steps would be necessary to provide water from that lake. Something like this....?

a. Collect water, filter through coffee filter

b. Then use SteriPen to treat water

c. Then use 'drops' for water purification.

Who can judge those steps and give me some ideas?

Thank you.

Mike B

I think a steripen has it's place, but if you really want to filter enough water to drink and prepare food with (1G/day/person, minimum) you need to look at something with a greater throughput, imo. A Berkey gravity filter is great (though you can make your own for about 1/3rd the price with food grade buckets and replacement filters from Berkey) or you can go with something from Katadyn (I have a Katadyn Pocket - the filter is good to 13k gallons of filtration and while it's not as physically efficient as the gravity filters, it's far more portable).

I think we decided to go with the Katadyn Pocket filter. It's more than most of the other portable filters, but the long term price is lower. Most camping filters are around $90, but the filter lasts for 150-200 gallons with the next filter being $50-100. I think the upfront cost of the Katadyn is worth it in the long run since it will filter 13,000 gallons and will likely never need a new filter. I'm sure we will use it for camping trips and the like. Any word on the cheapest place to find it? I'm seeing it on eBay for $229.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Austin454
Thanks for all the suggestions. I wish I had tried Walmart for Mountain House, but it already shipped and should be here in a few days. Any suggestions on a solid water purifier? I know that will greatly increase the water supply if things are really bad. Is there one brand or method of purification that is better than another.

I haven't read all the posts yet so I don't know if theis has been answered ... The Katadyn Pocket filter will do 18000 gallons before its ceramic filter needs to be replaced. It will filter 98.5% of bacterial infections in your water. It does not do viral, but a gallon of bleach goes a long way.

Do you have a Katadyn? How easy is it to filter? I have read it can be tough to pump.

Yeah, I have one, but I admit I've not used it.

I haven't been camping in years, it's just a SHTF backup device.

Everything I've read says that if it is tough to pump it's time to clean the ceramic filter. The life of the filter seems to be dependent on how often you need to clean it, which seems to be dependent on just how dirty the water is that goes through it. Meaning solid particles being the worst. Besides the built in initial filter on the end of the intake tube, I stuck a couple packs of coffee filters with rubber bands in with the thing, thinking to keep even more of the crud out.

I'll eventually get around to actually using the thing for familiarity, hopefully before the ZA makes it mandatory.

- OS

Guest mikedwood

Just saying for 10 or 20 bucks a big pot wouldn't be a bad investment. Filters can fail and or clog up and any manner of things can happen. I big pot of metal is pretty fool proof. Just a thought.

It would work, but probably taste like boiled pond water and would not help if there was a chemical in the water. Such as the recent floods.

I don't know of any water purifier yet mentioned anyway that can remove chemicals in solution in water.

That's a whole 'nother process than filtering solid "stuff" in water, even things as small as virii.

Even distilling water won't remove everything from solution that can get in water.

That's why eventually, clean water is going to be our biggest enviro prob, because even nature can only dilute many of the poisons, not really remove them, and there's no telling just how many of our current ills are actually due to ingested toxins; and it is ever shown that smaller quantities than first thought have significant consequences.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest mikedwood
It would work, but probably taste like boiled pond water and would not help if there was a chemical in the water. Such as the recent floods.

I think that is why so many blogs and forums I've read have placed high merit on having a bag or 20 of tea or tang or something anything.

If you're into food storage, you really ought to think about growing a garden and start canning what you grow. I know my mom and grandmothers used to can green beans, tomatoes, cabbage and fruit when I was growing up. All you need is a pressure cooker and bell jars and lids. Used jars are abundant at garage sales and really cheap. Not sure what a pressure cooker costs. You can also can stews and meat as well. I've seen canned tomatoes and green beans last a couple of years.

I also remember my Step Grandfather digging a pit, filling it with straw and then placing all his potatoes in it and covering it all back over with another layer of straw and then about a foot of dirt. When they wanted potatoes in the winter, he'd just go out to the pit and dig him up some. What wasn't used was cut up and planted back in the spring for another crop.

Rain barrels are good for water storage and most counties have some sort of rain barrel program where you can purchase plastic 55gal barrels at cost. You can rig up a system that captures all the drainage from your roof. Check with County Extension Programs. The initial thought was that people would use their rain water to water their yards, but I could see using it in a survival situation too. Just fill the barrels form your tap and then water the yard from the barrels. After your done watering the grass, fill the barrels back up. Keeps the water cycled and fresh all the time. No problem with storing unsafe water since it is in constant use.

Build yourself a nice fire ring in the back yard and practice cooking over an open fire. Just need three or four dutch ovens. I understand it's addicting, but I've never tried it. Alway keep a rick or two of fire wood so you have a source of heat for cooking and warmth. You can always have a nice camp fire anytime at the house. Keeps some tents set up for the kids too! Encourage them to learn and practice bushcrafting skills out in the back yard. Nothing ever said you had to go camping in the wild to do that sort of stuff. Then if and when the time comes that you and your family may need such skills, your not having to learn on the fly.

Just a few thoughts.

Do you have a Katadyn? How easy is it to filter? I have read it can be tough to pump.

I have one of these filters, and it is pretty difficult to pump, even after a good cleaning. In my mind that means it's doing a good job filtering. It's not bad to use on the occasional backpacking trip, but I wouldn't want to use it every day for an extended period of time.

I bought an MSR Hyperflow, and it is a delight to use. Water flows pretty easy through it, it's easy to clean, and it is super light. I don't think you can filter as many gallons before having to replace the filter though.

I don't know of any water purifier yet mentioned anyway that can remove chemicals in solution in water.

That's a whole 'nother process than filtering solid "stuff" in water, even things as small as virii.

Even distilling water won't remove everything from solution that can get in water.

That's why eventually, clean water is going to be our biggest enviro prob, because even nature can only dilute many of the poisons, not really remove them, and there's no telling just how many of our current ills are actually due to ingested toxins; and it is ever shown that smaller quantities than first thought have significant consequences.

- OS

I guess I hadn't thought about that. Are there chemical tests for checking water?