Recruiters told they can accept openly gay applicants.

• Moderators
Washington (CNN) -- The Pentagon has advised recruiting commands that they can accept openly gay and lesbian recruit candidates, given the recent federal court decision that bars the military from expelling openly gay service members, according to a Pentagon spokeswoman.

The guidance from the Personnel and Readiness office was sent to recruiting commands on Friday, according to spokeswoman Cynthia Smith.

The recruiters were told that if a candidate admits he or she is openly gay, and qualify under normal recruiting guidelines, their application can be processed. Recruiters are not allowed to ask candidates if they are gay as part of the application process.

The notice also reminded recruiters that they have to "manage expectations" of applicants by informing them that a reversal of the court decision might occur, whereby the "don't ask, don't tell" policy could be reinstated, Smith said.

Rest of the story here-Military recruiters told they can accept openly gay applicants - CNN.com

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gay, straight, black, white, man, woman, Christian, or Jew; if you love this country and wish to defend it, do so with honor. I have never been able to understand why people have issues with this?

Mac

I think with gay men in the military others who are not light in the loafers may have issues with nudity and showering together.

I see this having a large potential for problems.

Gays have brought this problem by their own tactics, politically. If they hadn't been so forceful

to having special rights added into law for their own benefit, they might have had an easier course

to follow through life, until Darwin proves them out through natural selection. When you go slapping

society in the face, for so long(decades), you can't force the welcome wagon. Nor, do you deserve

any respect. They will be the reason for their own demise.

Just like white men in the military would not bunk with black men. Just like Christian men would not serve with Jews. Italian immigrants would not associate with Irish immigrants. My point being. it's not about "You" (rhetorically) it's about defense of the country and serving honorably. Sexual orientation is just the latest "bad" thing to deal with. Once you sign on the dotted line, your background SHOULD become irrelevant. All other labels fall away, Soldier is all that should remain.

Mac

Not sure what's being slapped in anyone's face? Recruits can say whether they are gay or not? Shouldn't effect anything.

Gays have brought this problem by their own tactics, politically. If they hadn't been so forceful

to having special rights added into law for their own benefit, they might have had an easier course

to follow through life, until Darwin proves them out through natural selection. When you go slapping

society in the face, for so long(decades), you can't force the welcome wagon. Nor, do you deserve

How do you live with so much hate dude?

Just like white men in the military would not bunk with black men. Just like Christian men would not serve with Jews. Italian immigrants would not associate with Irish immigrants. My point being. it's not about "You" (rhetorically) it's about defense of the country and serving honorably. Sexual orientation is just the latest "bad" thing to deal with. Once you sign on the dotted line, your background SHOULD become irrelevant. All other labels fall away, Soldier is all that should remain.

Mac

Not sure what's being slapped in anyone's face? Recruits can say whether they are gay or not? Shouldn't effect anything.

Agreed. People seem to think that there are these overly aggressive military gays who are going to be playing grab ass in the shower and it's not so. There are rules of conduct, if they break them boot them out.

There are gay police, fire, nurses, doctors, etc and I know and work with a few. Damn proud to know them and it's not my place to judge what they do. I don't believe they should have to lie to serve their country.

People also seem to believe that the fellow soldiers are just absolutely clueless and I can tell you as someone who served, I had gay guys in my company. Had ZERO issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac

Using your logic the military would have women and men showering together. Oh wait they don't, because their different sexes, or to take account for gays, different sexual attractions.

Guest mustangdave

MAC....one question...Ever served? Trust me when I say this...once they're out of Bootcamp and advanced training...and assigned to a Command they will be weeded out...and the first time you get a couple of buck privates swappin spit in the barracks they'll go up on fratranizing charges...

"Openly" gay people in the military bothers me no more than the not open gays that are already here. I shower with other people while in the army rarely. At schools it generally happens but outside of that no. I see more naked guys walking through the locker room at my local YMCA. The shower excuse is just that, an excuse for bigotry.

MAC....one question...Ever served? Trust me when I say this...once they're out of Bootcamp and advanced training...and assigned to a Command they will be weeded out...and the first time you get a couple of buck privates swappin spit in the barracks they'll go up on fratranizing charges...
No, never served. Not sure it's relevant, but not ashamed either.

My question would be, "Why would they be weeded out?" Or, more importantly, why SHOULD they be weeded out? If they break a rule, kick them out. If they grab your ass, smash them in the face. If they do their job, shut the hell up, and handle your own business. Seems pretty simple.

And the women and men thing, honestly, I think that would be pretty cool. But, same rule applies, you grab a chick's ass, you better be ready to handle things, cause she's an Army chick, and she'll pound you into pulp in front of your buds. Good luck living that one down.

Mac

What special rights?

Homosexuality has existed as long as man has been on this planet, so... something weird has been going on with all these gays still hanging around after roughly 250k years. It's not a passing fad.

Mac

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
What that we don't all hate gays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I just expected a more traditional right wing response thats all.

I personally dont agree with homosexuality for religious reasons but beyond the joint shower thing I dont really see a big issue with them servng as long as sexual harassment policies are enforced as they would be in opposite-sex harassment. On the shower thing say what you want but I kinda see it like telling a girl she has to shower with the boys.

One interesting point would be how do we address the different treatment of men and women in the services such as what positions the can serve in/ be required to serve in. What about the feminine gay male or the masculine lesbian female who wishes to assume the opposite genders role?

To me the real issue should be what the troops think. Not was the upper brass thinks.

Guest mustangdave
No, never served. Not sure it's relevant, but not ashamed either.

My question would be, "Why would they be weeded out?" Or, more importantly, why SHOULD they be weeded out? If they break a rule, kick them out. If they grab your ass, smash them in the face. If they do their job, shut the hell up, and handle your own business. Seems pretty simple.

And the women and men thing, honestly, I think that would be pretty cool. But, same rule applies, you grab a chick's ass, you better be ready to handle things, cause she's an Army chick, and she'll pound you into pulp in front of your buds. Good luck living that one down.

Mac

Ok...maybe its not that relevant....and weeded out may be a strong term...I will say "from" experience...that the gay men I knew in the NAVY..."stood out"...the crew almost to a man KNEW who was gay...and unless they were OVERT about it...they were pretty much left alone...but IF found out they were gone pretty quick...and IF they did a little grab ass'n and got beat up for it both parties were busted. The women thing "WHEW"...I am so glad I missed out on all that crazy hormonal stuff...especially on board ship...but that was the early 90's...I hear things are much smoother now a days.