Pistol grip, double-barrel shotgun

wadejjet

Anyone ever owned/fired something like this?

STOEGER COACH GUN- PISTOL GRIP- 12 GA : Side by Side at GunBroker.com

I was cruising GunBroker and wandered up on this nifty looking modified Stoeger coach gun. There are certainly better home defense weapons, but to me they don't get much cooler than this. So if you've fired something like this,...what's it like? Any accuracy with the point and shoot method I assume you'd have to use?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an uncle as a child that had a 16ga sawed off double barrel like that, with the pistol grip. That thing was a mean monster. I shot it a handful of times, I might have been twelve or thirteen at the time. It was not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination.

His was a lot shorter, and if memory serves me, after a random traffic stop I didn't see him again for a long time. And he didn't have the gun anymore.

Pistol grip shotguns such as the Mossberg Defender are fun to shoot, have enough overall mass and weight to dampen felt recoil and intimidate the heck out of folk’s. That said they’re not very practical beyond spitball range due to the difficulty of aimed fire. You’ll get a face full of shotgun pretty darn quick when you try shooting a pistol grip target at a target you’re actually trying to aim at.

A far better option that draw’s less negative attention and allows you to shoot from either the shoulder or hip is a shortened stock. You decrease the overall length which speed’s up handling but can also readily engage more distant targets with aimed fire. A pistol grip/stock combination set up can be used but isn’t really necessary.

This is my Stoeger:

IMG_0009.jpgIt's an awesome shotgun, and both triggers at the same time always turns heads at the range. I'm not too sure about the pistol grip though, looks like they may have taken the buttstock off and cut it down, luckily they were still within the 26" federal limit.

Guest coldblackwind

Not a double, but does this count?

1023102226.jpg

It's got some kick, but its actually quite controllable. Accuracy depends basically on how good you are shooting from the hip. Its definitely close range only (mainly because it doesn't have a choke with the 14" barrel, so it spreads FAST, and yes it has paperwork), but I can wallop a man sized target with every round center mass with no problem at 15 yards from the hip.

Not a double, but does this count?

1023102226.jpg

It's got some kick, but its actually quite controllable. Accuracy depends basically on how good you are shooting from the hip. Its definitely close range only (mainly because it doesn't have a choke with the 14" barrel, so it spreads FAST, and yes it has paperwork), but I can wallop a man sized target with every round center mass with no problem at 15 yards from the hip.

Very cool!

Guest coldblackwind
Very cool!

Plan on cutting down a 20 ga double barrel (soon as I can find a cheap one) into something sort of the like the old auto burglar shotgun. Basically cut it off into a pistol grip, then cut the barrels down as short as I can without getting into the hardware in the forearm. I ever manage to get the gun, the paperwork, and the work to all come together, I'll let ya try it out ;)

You’ll get a face full of shotgun pretty darn quick when you try shooting a pistol grip target at a target you’re actually trying to aim at.

The answer to that might be to start with one of these:

Stoeger Double Defense

and leave the barrels long enough to attach a laser to the rail under the barrels for aimed fire purposes - if there is a laser mount that hold true to POA under recoil.

The one in the OP does look cool, though. I think I have heard that configuration (with that style of grip, more like a cut off regular stock than an aftermarket pistol grip) called a 'Witness Protection' shotgun.

Guest coldblackwind
You’ll get a face full of shotgun pretty darn quick when you try shooting a pistol grip target at a target you’re actually trying to aim at.

The answer to that might be to start with one of these:

Stoeger Double Defense

and leave the barrels long enough to attach a laser to the rail under the barrels for aimed fire purposes - if there is a laser mount that hold true to POA under recoil.

The one in the OP does look cool, though. I think I have heard that configuration (with that style of grip, more like a cut off regular stock than an aftermarket pistol grip) called a 'Witness Protection' shotgun.

The one in my post is a witness protection. They were made for the witness protection agency originally, and came with both the "chicken head" grip, an almost copy of which is on the pump I posted (hand made, and with a minor change for more control), or a pistol grip that looked like they literally just filled a set of packmyer grips for a smith and wesson and bolted it onto a shotgun (mine came with this, horrible setup).

Plan on cutting down a 20 ga double barrel (soon as I can find a cheap one) into something sort of the like the old auto burglar shotgun. Basically cut it off into a pistol grip, then cut the barrels down as short as I can without getting into the hardware in the forearm. I ever manage to get the gun, the paperwork, and the work to all come together, I'll let ya try it out ;)

That sounds like a good plan to me. Be sure to show it off on here if/when you build that little beauty!

Guest guardlobo

They work well. Accuracy is fine for home defense if you use proper technique and practice periodically. However, I would always go with a pump like the Mossberg 500.

Plan on cutting down a 20 ga double barrel (soon as I can find a cheap one)

Here is my budget one on top $60 noble, had busted stock only reason I cut it down. sanded and staind wood black. I had the heat shield laying around

2nd winchester defender. Found youth stock sanded and stained black also. plan on putting this on instead of pistol grip.

3rd mossberg 500 won on football board replaced vented barrell with the 18" with hivis front sight

009lbc.jpg

I would like to pick up a coach gun (with stock) also

015ejl.jpg

Edited by laktrash
Guest coldblackwind
Here is my budget one on top $60 noble, had busted stock only reason I cut it down. sanded and staind wood black. I had the heat shield laying around

2nd winchester defender. Found youth stock sanded and stained black also. plan on putting this on instead of pistol grip.

3rd mossberg 500 won on football board replaced vented barrell with the 18" with hivis front sight

009lbc.jpg

015ejl.jpg

Neat, but mine is gonna look more like this, althought the pistol grip will end up much different obviously

The Ithaca Auto and Burglar, By L. Neil Smith