ar parts list and tools

Guest buttonhook

Guest buttonhook

What parts/tools do I need to complete my build.....

Parts (have)

DPMS Delta Pack AR-15 Matte

DPMS Barrel Nut AR-15 Matte

DPMS Gas Tube Roll Pin AR-15

DPMS Gas Tube Carbine AR-15

DPMS Firing Pin

MagPul MOE MVG Vertical Forend Grip for MOE Handguards AR-15 Polymer Black

MagPul MOE Picatinny Rail 11-Slot Fits MOE Handguards Polymer Black x 2

Magpul MOE Picatinny Rail 5-Slot Fits MOE Handguards Polymer Black

MagPul MOE Handguard AR-15 Carbine Length Polymer Black

Mako GMG Receiver Extension Buffer Tube Lock Ring AR-15 Carbine

MagPul ASAP Receiver End Plate Sling Mount Adapter Ambidextrous AR-15 Carbine Steel Matte

BlackHawk Single Point Storm Sling Nylon Bungee Black

MagPul CTR, UBR, ACS, MOE Enhanced Recoil Pad .70" Thick Rubber Black

M16 Clinic Buffer Pad II AR-15

Power Custom Oversized Magazine Release Button AR-15 Matte

DPMS Molded Receiver Rug AR-15 Mil-Spec Trigger Rubber Red

Olympic Safety Selector Detent AR-15

DPMS Ambidextrous Safety Selector AR-15 Matte

DPMS Safety Selector Detent / Ejector Spring AR-15

MagPul MOE Pistol Grip AR-15 Black

Magpul 30 round PMAG black

DPMS Buffer Spring AR-15 Carbine

MagPul MOE Buttstock Collapsible Commercial Diameter AR-15 Carbine Synthetic Black

DPMS Receiver Extension Buffer Tube 6-Position Commercial Diameter AR-15 Carbine Aluminum Matte

Colt Heavy Buffer AR-15 Carbine

MagPul MOE Enhanced Trigger Guard AR-15 Polymer Black

Yankee Hill Machine AR-15 EZ Pull Takedown Pin Set Steel Matte

MagPul MBUS Flip-Up Front Sight AR-15 Polymer Black

MagPul BAD Lever Extended Bolt Catch AR-15 Aluminum Matte

DPMS Lower Receiver Parts Kit AR-15

MEGA Machine Upper Receiver stripped AR-15 A3 Flattop Matte w/ kit

DPMS Lower Receiver Stripped AR-15 Forged Matte w/ kit

AR-15 Duplex Hooded front sight

Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 5.56mm 5C1 Comp/Flash Suppressor

Yankee Hill Machine 16" Threaded, Fluted, 1:9" Twist (YHM-49-TF):Carbine Length AR-15 Barrel

DPMS Front guard plate

Badger Tactical Latch

A.R.M.S Inc. #41-B Silhouettt Folding Front Sight

A.R.M.S Inc. Low Profile Flip Up Rear Sight w/ Same Plane Aperture

NcStar 1-Piece Quick-Release Scope Mount Weaver-Style with Integral 30mm Rings and 1" Inserts Flattop AR-15 Matte

BSA sweet 223 scope

MidwayUSA Tactical Rifle Gun Case with 6 Pockets

CrossTac Front Sight Picatinny Rail AR-15 Aluminum Black (still to buy)

Olympic Front Sling Swivel Roll Pin AR-15 Matte (still to buy)

parts so far cost $1405.87

Tools (have)

PRI Barrel Nut Wrench AR-15

Schuster AR-15 Bolt Catch Punch Steel

Schuster Barrel Nut Indexing Pin AR-15, AR-10 Steel

Wheeler Engineering Brass/Nylon Hammer 8 oz

Crescent Retaining, Snap Ring Pliers

Schuster Handguard Removal Tool AR-15 Steel

Model 1 Pivot Pin Detent Installation Tool AR-15

Gun Guides Takedown Guide "Colt AR-15 and Variants" Book

TAPCO Multi-Tool AR-15 Mil-Spec Steel

TAPCO Front Sight Adjusting Tool (4-Prong) AR-15 A2 Steel

Model 1 AR-15 Armorer's Punch Set 7-Piece

Schuster AR-15 Roll Pin Starter Punch Set 2-Piece Steel

Tools so far $153.44

Tools (I think I need?)

Wisdom 1/2" Torque Wrench 150 ft lb

Model 1 Armorer's Action Block with Lower Receiver Action Block AR-15

go/no go gauge

??????????????

What else do I need or what of what I have bought do I not need??????

Edited by buttonhook
updated parts list!
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never used anything more than a punch, a hammer, some tape and a screw driver to put a rifle together. Yes it is easier with the tools you have listed but they are not required. And yes I have built a lot.

Odds are your accurizing wedge will not fit your lower. They are designed for low shelf lowers and I haven't seen a new one for sale in a long, long time. If the lower your are buying is RDIAS ready then the wedge will work, if not then the accuwedge is a waste of money.

If you have never built an AR I can say that buying the barrel and extension seperately is asking for problems. The extension is what is used to headspace the gun. And if you are intending on doing that you need headspace gauges, both go and no-go gauges.

If you have never built an AR buy the lower then buy a kit from the various vendors on the net like Model 1 sales, M&A Parts, Delton, but avoid Vulcan, Hesse or Blackthorne products kits.

From the looks of things you have it covered and I wish you well. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll help.

Dolomite

Why the Les Baer barrel extension? Just curious.

That's quite a list. Most of the parts, like a forend will supply the allen or torx wrench needed.

You're definitely putting some planning into this. Is this your first?

I've built I guess a dozen or more and they aren't difficult.

You're upper is already assembled so you can delete several parts there.

The good thing about building an AR is you can get a lower, parts kit and an assembled upper,

put it together and go shoot it. You can always modify it. They usually become works in progress.

Guest buttonhook

upper is not assembled.....I have the lower done (DPMS) but I might order a YHM to match the upper. I'm still waiting on the barrel and the gas block those are the only major parts I have not ordered yet. As far as indexing (headspacing) the barrel as long as I torque the barrel correctly and align the gas tube should I have any problems. should a YHM barrel come with the barrel extention? and if I dont need that accuwedge so be it it was like $2 so in the big scheme of things not a huge deal. and I bought the barrel extention because I didn't know if it would be included with the new barrel. If it is I will return it.

BTW has anyone ordered from these people http://jsgunparts.com/store/index.php?main_page=down_for_maintenance their site is down right now but the prices were good they have lower listed by the 1000!!! or you can get one for $70 each YHM lowers for under $100. complete lower for around $130

I guess you are speaking of this? Forster Headspace Gage Field Length 223 Remington - MidwayUSA

Edited by buttonhook

The barrel extension is usually on an AR barrel when you buy it. It's usually a good idea to check the headspace

when mixing several different parts, but not always necessary. The rest I'll gladly defer to dolomite.

That site showed being down for maintenance. I've never been there. I'll check them out later. Thanks for the link!

upper is not assembled.....I have the lower done (DPMS) but I might order a YHM to match the upper. I'm still waiting on the barrel and the gas block those are the only major parts I have not ordered yet. As far as indexing (headspacing) the barrel as long as I torque the barrel correctly and align the gas tube should I have any problems. should a YHM barrel come with the barrel extention? and if I dont need that accuwedge so be it it was like $2 so in the big scheme of things not a huge deal. and I bought the barrel extention because I didn't know if it would be included with the new barrel. If it is I will return it.

BTW has anyone ordered from these people http://jsgunparts.com/store/index.php?main_page=down_for_maintenance their site is down right now but the prices were good they have lower listed by the 1000!!! or you can get one for $70 each YHM lowers for under $100.

You have the barrel extension as a part. Unless the barrel comes already headspaced with the barrel extension installed it isn't that simple. Now if it does come headspaced with the barrel extension installed then yes it is simpler but not as simple as what you are saying. Barrels that do not have the barrel extension installed are not drilled for the gas port nor are they properly headspaced. Drilling the gas port is also a tricky affair, you must drill it the right size for your gas system, it must be drilled straight up and down as well as on top. If you get any of these off the gun will either not run right or the front sight will be canted too far to be zeroed.

As far as the YHM barrel coming with the extension it would have said on the website, I would call to confirm.

Not trying to sound negative but from the sounds of everything as well as the questions you may have bit off more than you can chew. I am by no means an expert but I have done a lot of AR's and I have yet to install a barrel extension and headspace it. I headspace bolt guns all the time but I don't want to attempt an AR.

What parts are you looking to buy from JSG? Might be a better place to get the parts from. Not saying they are bad just that I shop AR prices everyday and tend to know where the deals are.

I am in the Knoxville area as well, if you want you can bring everything to my house and I'll help you out. 99% of an AR is simple and can be done easily but the other 1% is what can get you in trouble.

Dolomite

Guest buttonhook

I ordered my YHM upper from them on sat. paid $70 so I hope everything is really on the up and up. If it is they should be great for pricing. somethings they were more on but the bigger stuff they were much cheaper on so............for less than $200 I ordered the upper with the complete upper kit(charging handle, dust, etc.) and the complete bolt carrier group.

Guest buttonhook

thanks I hope I didn't waste a ton of money......I wanted it to be a project but I want it to work as well.........I was look on the YHM web site and it doesnt say ether way. I dont think I'm buy a barrel blank but..........I could still buy a complete barrel since I havn't order that yet

Edited by buttonhook
Guest buttonhook

just got a email back YHM they say their barrels are ready to install (headspaced, etention installed, drilled with ports and everything) so I can return to barrel extention.......which is great news!!!

Edited by buttonhook

Button,

Definitely take Dolomite up on his offer of assistance.

I have shot some of his builds, they didn't explode, so I guess he knows what he's doing!

He really helped me out with my AC Commander and after you're done, you get to test fire on his private range!

Guest buttonhook

sweet...I'm def. going to be tapping into the knowledge base here. I could have bought the complete upper cheaper. but I wanted to learn about and know what I'm shooting. I figured what better way than to build it from nothing.

Guest buttonhook

ok someone let me know if I did the right thimg....J+S just told me that they are out of the YHM uppers so they would send me a MEGA machines upper instead for the same price. I said ok. They did say I could return it if It was not what I wanted. Are the MEGAs ok. she said it was a more expensive upper and it would still work for what I wanted.....correct or no? good deal or NO? also barrel twist rate 1:7 or 1:9. I believe the 1:7 would be better for heavier bullets and the 1:9 better for lighter is that right

Edited by buttonhook

Mega's stuff is good to go. They tend to be on the higher end of the quality scale.

9 twist should be good for around 70 grain bullets. The 7 twist barrels are good for 80 grain bullets, they will shoot 90 grains bullets but you can't load them to magazine length and still get enough powder in the case to get decent velocities. 80 grain bullets are easier to keep supersonic to 1000 yards than the 90's as well.

You can shoot light weight bullets out of the fast twsit barrels. I have fired 40 grain V-maxes out of my 7 twist Savage and they don't fly apart. It is just a matter of finding what you are going to be shooting the most and pick a twist that works the best. Persoanlly I would go with a 9 twist, they work well with the most common weights of factory ammo like 55 grainers. You can still shoot 69 grian bullets accurately, I do.

There is a reason why I don't recommend heavy bullets in fast twist barrels. Not going to get into it but suffice to say 9 twist shooting 55 or 62 grain bullets is a better performer.

Dolomite

Guest buttonhook

ok then I feel better because I was looking at the 1:9 or 1:10 twist. I prob. will not shoot the heavier bullets anyway. I'm feeling better about this build now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest buttonhook

ok I installed the barrel and bolt carrier into the upper and the bolt sticks?????sometimes?? sometimes it will not go into battery and sometimes it will not come out the bolt seems really stiff and doesn't rotate to easily should it. it does rotate but not real easy?

NEVERMIND see next post.......I'm so dumb sometimes

Edited by buttonhook
Guest buttonhook

two words....more oil. Dolomite I'm going to try and put this thing together but might get you to check out my handy work before I blow myself up :)

BTW that A.R.M.S front sight is pretty trick

Edited by buttonhook
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest buttonhook

well I shot my NEW ar today. first two shots at 150 yards (no rest)......I covered both with the base of a .223 shell I'm pretty happy!!!!

I still need to get with dolomite....maybe someday

BTW the Tulammo @ walmart SUCKS!!!!!! it would not cycle the ar. However, the federal .223 ran perfect!!! I'll never buy any more TULAMMO for anything!!! Between shooting TUL and throwing a rock, I'll throw the rock at least I KNOW the rock will fly. Total waste of money! It even short cycled my friend sagia twice. total crap ammo and it is really really dirty!!

DO NOT BUY!!

Edited by buttonhook
Guest buttonhook

I might need too it will not get any better that is for sure :) i was kneeling not standing, but my buddy also shot a sub 1/2" group with it @150 yards. I also put 30 rounds in a 10" target during a ripid fire run at the same distance(one a second or close)

Edited by buttonhook