What are you listening to now?

Marswolf

• Moderators
1 hour ago, n0rlf said:

Mannheim Steamroller, Christmas live, TSO, RiverDance, ACDC, Van Halen   

In a weird mood this afternoon.

I've had an eclectic afternoon of music as well. After the earlier xmas albums, moved onto these. 

UCEaZaj.jpg

SbD57P4.jpg

u6oun6B.jpg

Rt2tk87.jpg

• Like 1
  • Moderators
21 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

I love me some Nada Surf. Takes me back.

Folks generally only remember the one novelty hit but everything else on that record was just great 90s alt-rock. They've stayed together and continued to make music. I have their most recent record as well. Still great music. 

2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Folks generally only remember the one novelty hit but everything else on that record was just great 90s alt-rock. They've stayed together and continued to make music. I have their most recent record as well. Still great music. 

Twenty years ago, I paid a great sum of money (for a young adult) to import The Proximity Effect at Sam Goody in Athens. They were the only place that could get diverse things like that. I bought Pearl Jam's Last Kiss Single there as well, not knowing at the time it would only be available as such. They got me several Iron Maiden albums and I stood in line for Metallica's S&M. Chain store or not, I mourn the loss of quality music stores. Amazon fills that roll now, but I recall I day when I could walk into a brick and mortar and they knew i wasn't asking about Christmas Carols when I asked for Sleigh Bells.

• Like 2

I personally rank the Smashing Pumpkins as one of, if not the definitive act of the 90's. Nirvana, Tool, and Creed be damned. Billy Corgan summed it all up in a few simple albums. Siamese Dream was gold, literally (;)) and Melon Collie was indisputably a genre definer.  Alternative music never hit the high it did in the 90's before, or again. Even now, when I pick up a guitar, I dream of being as good as Corgan or Iha. Shoegazing is underrated. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

Speaking the Pumpkins, I picked up The Aeroplane Flies High box set on vinyl this year. I had bought it on CD 20 years ago but I think it really shines on vinyl. Plus the packaging and presentation is always better at 12x12 vs the size of a CD. 

• 2 weeks later...