What are you listening to now?

Marswolf

I’ve been on a quest for some “new” music lately since what they put out now is crap.  Here’s an hour and a half of 20 songs from some great 70’s Rock that didn’t make it to the radio.  Some bands are familiar, many other not.

Edited by Garufa
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, bersaguy said:

I don't listen to a lot of music but when I do it is something that has feeling to it and reminds me of things in my life. Last one I listened to was the one below.

Loved that song. Many memories from it. Of course I was a big fan also, but not so much when Wynonna went out alone.

But I feel that almost all music must evoke a memory or feeling to appeal to me. Perhaps that's why I can relate to almost all music.

In my car now, I have Dean Martin, Warren Zevon, NGDB, some rockabilly Big Band swing, and and some Meatloaf. I think that about covers it. I do get strange looks from my wife over it though. Only about a third of my musical tastes appeal to her.

Just remembered...there are 2 Webb Wilder discs as well.

• Like 1

Cool/heavier alternative...

Spin Doctors - Refrigerator Car (KILLER drum and bass work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXpvX3HjfVQ

The Hunger - Vanishing Cream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzdv_5mSaQc

I Mother Earth - One More Astronaut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_1QAC_6Zuc

Stone Temple Pilots - Meat Plow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsdYCOJk7bw

On 2/9/2019 at 11:24 PM, Garufa said:

I’ve been on a quest for some “new” music lately since what they put out now is crap.  Here’s an hour and a half of 20 songs from some great 70’s Rock that didn’t make it to the radio.  Some bands are familiar, many other not.

A couple of years ago I was in the same boat. I had played out all the good stuff, and there was nothing new that was worth a listen. Then I discovered a new to me genre of music that changed everything.

If you like old classic rock, like Led Zeppelin, and Bad Company, well, they are still making it but now they call it "Electric Blues". These artists never get any air play, and you gotta go looking for them. But if you spend the time, you will be rewarded.

Here are a couple of bands to get you started:

Joe Bonnabassa, Ana Popovic, Buddy Guy, Coco Montoya, Danny Bryant, Erja Lyytinen, Robert Cray, Shemekia Copeland, Deborah Coleman, Tab Benoit, Debbie Davies, Walter Trout, Tinsley Ellis

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, analog_kidd said:

Joe Bonnabassa, Ana Popovic, Buddy Guy, Coco Montoya, Danny Bryant, Erja Lyytinen, Robert Cray, Shemekia Copeland, Deborah Coleman, Tab Benoit, Debbie Davies, Walter Trout, Tinsley Ellis

It's Joe Bonnamassa.  Also, add in Samantha Fish to this fine list.  John Hiatt.  Darrell Scott.

For everyone who says "All the music today is crap," I have to respond that you're misinformed.  There's plenty of good music being made today.  You're just listening in the wrong places.   Widen your perspective and you'll be amazed at what's out there.  

9 hours ago, analog_kidd said:

A couple of years ago I was in the same boat. I had played out all the good stuff, and there was nothing new that was worth a listen. Then I discovered a new to me genre of music that changed everything.

If you like old classic rock, like Led Zeppelin, and Bad Company, well, they are still making it but now they call it "Electric Blues". These artists never get any air play, and you gotta go looking for them. But if you spend the time, you will be rewarded.

Get Slacker Radio, they have a channel called "Modern Blues", plays most of the artists you named and more. Good stuff, one of my current favorite sources for music.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Garufa said:

What an excellent thing to wake up this morning! Thank you Garufa!

Sufficiently Breathless and Dancing Madly Backwards are two of my favorite Captain Beyond songs but I love all of their work. I stumbled on them around late '73 and literally wore out a couple of their vinyls. :)

I'll be listening to this with my morning coffee. Much obliged. 👍

This came across my pandora while working out the other day. I discovered it's hard to lift while headbanging and laughing at the same time. You just can't beat a heavy metal accordion.  :D 

Edited by peejman
21 minutes ago, peejman said:

This came across my pandora while working out the other day. I discovered it's hard to lift while headbanging and laughing at the same time. You just can't beat a heavy metal accordion.  :D 

Those Scandinavians know how to rock!

Edited by Garufa
3 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

Been on a Tyler Childers kick for a week or so now.

He's talented.  I bet I've listened to "White House Road" 20 times - can't get enough. 

On a completely different note, I found Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox a few months ago, and I like their stuff a lot.  They do a version of "Seven Nation Army" that'll make you feel like Al Capone.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

I always like to recommend Tower of Power.

Their horn line is amazing.

Speaking of which, BST, Go down Gamblin', most incredible tuba solo in the history of rock music, ever.

Turn up your volume

NOW THAT'S MUSIC!!! lol David Clayton-Thomas was on fire there!

Back in my wastrel college days, I had the pleasure of seeing/hearing them live. A tremendous show.

My frat back then, ALPHA KAPPA PSI, had the honor/duty to promote and sell tickets on campus and in the city.

That got us primo seats in return for all the "blood, sweat, and tears" we put into it. lol

I/we sat about 50 feet left of stage and that tower of speakers. I don't think I could hear for days afterwards. It was worth it! Fantastic Show!!

• Like 1