Considering a Glock Model 27

Guest Hyaloid

Guest Hyaloid

I want something more concealable than my Ruger P345. I love that gun, and can shoot it reasonably well, but when the weather for shorts comes, something smaller and lightweight is in order, I think.

Any input on this Model?

I handled one in a gunshop, and it seemd to fit my hand well, though I may spring for the lower profile grip extender.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

If I were going to purchase a sub-compact Glock again, I'd be more inclined to look at the G26. As much as I favor the .40SW, the 26 chambered in 9mm is a more controllable package. I think a lot of shooters tend to have problems with the added recoil the .40SW gives in a sub-compact which makes for difficult follow-up shots and less of a desire to practice, practice, practice at the range.

Guest Greentimber

Had one. Don't waste your money. It's too big to be a small gun and too smal to be a big gun.

Get a Glock 19 for every day use and a Smith 442(642) for when you don't need a gun.

Guest triggertime
Had one. Don't waste your money. It's too big to be a small gun and too small to be a big gun.

Not necessarily true...if you carry a Glock 19 or a Glock 17 as a primary carry gun, a Glock 26 makes sense as a backup gun carried on the ankle. A Glock 19 on the ankle is difficult to accomodate. Not so with the little Glock 26. Besides, the primary carry gun's magazine compatibility with the backup gun and its method of operation is highly important.

A Glock 26 makes more sense than a j-frame. It is easier to shoot and holds twice the

amount of ammunition.

The problem comes in when people add grip extentions to Glock 26 magazines. Then it makes its role as a defensive pistol pointless when compared to a Glock 19.

If I were going to purchase a sub-compact Glock again, I'd be more inclined to look at the G26. ....the 26 chambered in 9mm is a more controllable package. I think a lot of shooters tend to have problems with the added recoil the .40SW gives in a sub-compact which makes for difficult follow-up shots and less of a desire to practice, practice, practice at the range.

Ditto.

Guest Ghostrider

Obviously, my experience with the 27 is very limited; but I was surprised at the amount of recoil and muzzle pop (flip) off the little gun.

ymmv....

I'd for sure say shoot it before you buy it.

Personally, I think I'm going to standardize the house on .45 ACP.

I just like that round.

Since my eyesight isn't what it once was, I'll most likely standardize all the long guns on 7.62 x 39, since I already have two that use it... :)

Paul, lets go to the Hobson Pike range this weekend if weather allows. I will let you try out my g36. I think it shoots much easier/better than a 27. Plus its .45cal

Keith

Guest Greentimber
...if you carry a Glock 19 or a Glock 17 as a primary carry gun...

He doesn't.

a Glock 26 makes sense as a backup gun carried on the ankle.

I disagree. A 26 is a pain in the ass in an ankle holster. Besides that, ankle carry is just dumb. You can't get to it when you need it and you can't retain it in a fight. Yes, I attempted to make it work with a Glock sub-c for years both in and out of uniform. Ankle carry sucks.

A Glock 26 makes more sense than a j-frame. It is easier to shoot and holds twice the amount of ammunition.

Disagree. It makes more sense to have a gun with you (J-Frame) instead of leaving a G26 at home when you realize it's still too big to be a small gun.

If you think you might need twice the ammunition you should be carrying a "real" gun such as a G19. Subcompacts to include a 26/27 or J-Frame are only good enough to carry when you KNOW you don't need a gun. I carry mine to the mailbox, for example.

....when people add grip extentions to Glock 26 magazines. Then it makes its role as a defensive pistol pointless when compared to a Glock 19.

Very true.

The 345 is not a compact pistol, but it's not terribly difficult to conceal either. An IWB and proper clothing selection should make it more than doable even in hot weather.

A better idea would be to buy a G19 for year-round use and be done with it. :D

Guest Loaded247

I used to have a G27, and I liked it. I didn't think the recoil was that bad at all. However, I eventually traded it for a G30, which I still have, and I still carry on occasion.

Generally, I prefer compact and full size pistols for carry. I carry the gun that I want, and THEN I dress around it, as opposed to trying to fit the gun to the clothing. However, that is easy for me to say, as I wear jeans both in the summer AND in the winter, and always with a belt, and ALWAYS with an untucked shirt, even if I am 'dress-casual'. If I decide to wear jean shorts this summer (or kacki or some such), then the same mode of carry will still work.

I have heard the G30 called both a compact and a sub-compact, but in MY opinion, size wise, it's a compact. The G26 and G27 are sub-compacts, and as has been stated on here, make for excellent back-up guns. If you can handle the recoil of the G27, then go for it, but if you find that a tad uncomfortable, then go with the G26. I think they both make for very good choices.

As a back-up, I carry the all steel Mod. 36 S&W Chief's Special (with the small, original sized grips). Why? Basically, because I just flat out LIKE the gun! On top of that, I tend to shoot it exceptionally well. This may not be the best choice for other folks, but as a PERSONAL choice, it works for me. But once again, this is a 'back-up' to my primary full size or compact semi-auto (with spare mag.)

Personally, I think that you should select the Fighting Tools that you can operate and do your best with, and THEN you should look to the clothing to conceal your Fighting Tools...not the other way around. When you have the right combination, it should be such that you never have to leave your Fighting Tool behind, because it was 'too big' or something of that nature....

The 27 is a good choice for CC, potent but still pretty controllable. The grip is short, and it's a blocky Glock frame, but there's still enough to hang on to in a pinch. Just make sure you get a holster which covers the trigger.

The Springfield XD-40 SubCompact would be an equally good choice, depending on your particular tastes.

I don't want to make this a big deal, since as a bunch of you know, I don't like Glocks except as duty weapons. But I have carried them before switching to handguns I prefer.

To me, the winner of the Glock handguns for carry use is the G23. Reasonable size and power. It can be very accurate with a bit of practice. As I've I think I've mentioned, we have shot them regularly at 100 yards and they actually functioned quite well. None of the Glocks are small (flat) enough to be comfortable and safe enough for concealed carry IWB in my opinion. I know...you disagree. OWB under a coat or open carry work OK with proper training and a good holster. The G26 and G27 in my experience cost some accuracy as opposed the the full and compact sizes. That isn't as important for protection use at 7 to 12 feet, but makes practice a bit less fun.

So, the answer is that I wouldn't buy a Glock, but if I did it wouldn't be the G27. It's not a horrible choice. I just think there are better ones.

Guest Hyaloid
..... It's not a horrible choice. I just think there are better ones.

What would be on your short list?

I have to dress professionally, long-sleeve button up shirt, dress trousers, etc.

I can conceal the P345 relatively easily, and it is even comfortable, well... at least it isn't UN-comfortable. My issues with it are partially the size and the weight. Wearing jeans it seems to ride better with me, with my dress slacks, there is no support from the thin fabric, and I notice the weight of it quite a bit more.

I am considering the XDs as well... it's nice to have so many choices! :D

Mars is a staunch supporter of an external safety or atleast a harder/longer trigger pull. He prefers the DA pistols for carry to the SA with no safety. He is well entitled to his opinion and on most things I fully accept it and tend to agree with him. I personally think that a Glock can be a good concealed weapon, provided you train with it regularly and get good muscle memory to avoid the fateful slip of the finger.

Guest triggertime
He doesn't.

He should. But I understand that some people consider carrying one gun inconvenient,

more less two. It's all a matter of personal conviction and personal determination.

I disagree. A 26 is a pain in the ass in an ankle holster. Besides that, ankle carry is just dumb. You can't get to it when you need it and you can't retain it in a fight.

Opinions vary. I don't see ankle carry of a backup gun as being a dumb idea, its just a carry option for another tool in the box, which is role dependent. We're not talking about carrying a primary gun on the ankle, we're talking about a backup gun which is most likely to be accessed when you're already on the ground in a force on force fight for your life.

Disagree. It makes more sense to have a gun with you (J-Frame) instead of leaving a G26 at home when you realize it's still too big to be a small gun.

Your personal experience does not mirror mine. Like I said, opinions vary.

If you think you might need twice the ammunition you should be carrying a "real" gun such as a G19.

I said, "if you carry a Glock 17 or a Glock 19 as a primary carry gun then a Glock 26 makes sense as a backup gun due to the compatibility of the primary's magazines working in the backup gun and the commonality in the of method of operation.

We'll just have to accept that we agree to disagree.

Mars is a staunch supporter of an external safety or atleast a harder/longer trigger pull. He prefers the DA pistols for carry to the SA with no safety. He is well entitled to his opinion and on most things I fully accept it and tend to agree with him. I personally think that a Glock can be a good concealed weapon, provided you train with it regularly and get good muscle memory to avoid the fateful slip of the finger.

Actually I don't like an external safety at all. My USP is a variant 3 with de-cocker but no safety. That's one thing right about Glocks. I've run through a bunch of guns including Glocks and SIGs. I ended up with a USP 40 for open/OWB carry and a P7M8 for IWB. But my choice may not fit you. If I had kept the G23 as a carry gun, I would have gone to a New York trigger.

My "perfect" carry gun has a de-cocker and re-cocker (a hammer works fine) and can be fired SA or DA, or it is a DAO with very good trigger action.

I am excruciatingly well trained and even do some training of LEOs for special operations. With the training, I think Glock is acceptable, but USPs are better as are SIGs. Taurus 24/7s are fine if you insist on a 45 ACP (I don't).

If you wear a suit coat, you can get by with a lot of stuff.

As long as a Glock is in the holster or pointed where you intend to fire, I have no problem with them. They do exactly what they are supposed to do. The problem comes when you draw from or replace it in the holster. A good handgun should help you compensate for those occasional slips of mind that are inevitable. People who tell you that doesn't happen to them are either forgetful or untruthful. Glocks just have little safety factor. Carry by the public should be with a gun handgun that is always ready to fire but doesn't go off "too" easily.

Actually I don't like an external safety at all. My USP is a variant 3 with de-cocker but no safety. That's one thing right about Glocks. I've run through a bunch of guns including Glocks and SIGs. I ended up with a USP 40 for open/OWB carry and a P7M8 for IWB. But my choice may not fit you. If I had kept the G23 as a carry gun, I would have gone to a New York trigger.

My "perfect" carry gun has a de-cocker and re-cocker (a hammer works fine) and can be fired SA or DA, or it is a DAO with very good trigger action.

I am excruciatingly well trained and even do some training of LEOs for special operations. With the training, I think Glock is acceptable, but USPs are better as are SIGs. Taurus 24/7s are fine if you insist on a 45 ACP (I don't).

If you wear a suit coat, you can get by with a lot of stuff.

As long as a Glock is in the holster or pointed where you intend to fire, I have no problem with them. They do exactly what they are supposed to do. The problem comes when you draw from or replace it in the holster. A good handgun should help you compensate for those occasional slips of mind that are inevitable. People who tell you that doesn't happen to them are either forgetful or untruthful. Glocks just have little safety factor. Carry by the public should be with a gun handgun that is always ready to fire but doesn't go off "too" easily.

Didn't mean to speak out of turn their, Mars. Just trying to help some people understand where you come from. You are highly respected on the other board that we frequent (though since I have found this place through you, I tend to spend less time over there.)

I will agree that Glocks have little safety factor when holstering and drawing. Then again, my 1911 has little safety factor too. I would like to see a decocker on the Glock, but since that isn't likely to happen any time soon, I will probably have to look in to your H&K USP when the funds become available again. Though I think an AR might come before that.

I owned a 27 and it was okay. Soon after that I bought a G19. And I would always prefer a mid-size G19 or G23 over the sub-compact after owning both sizes.

You can't hold on to the sub compacts as well as you can the mid-size. And you'll probably just end up putting those extensions on you magazines which replaces most of the grip you took away by purchasing the 26/27 model.

That gun is not that great to take to the range and just wear out. And I find that with myself, guns that are easier to shoot are the ones that get the attention come range day. You'll never shoot that .500 S&W you keep in your bedside table for "home defense" as much as you would your favorite 1911, or Glock, etc.