Glock 26 Rayskin

graycrait

Here is my latest personal Glock. If you are "Glockster" you will note:

1. Removal of all Glock humps and bumps

2. Shaving off the backstrap even more and cutting up and radius where the trigger guard meets the grip.

3. Cutting grooves for fast access trigger finger (all cuts and stippling are mirrored L & R).

4. Remove the point on the trigger guard for a variety of reasons.

5. Stipple the entire grip because if you need this gun you will need to be able to snatch it, grip and and go.

6. Any stippling that is offending or a hinderance can simply be lightly sanded to user preference.

7. Sights are plain black Novak rear and Trijicon night sight front.

Glock26RaySkin2.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my bench grinder, dremel and a 10.00 walmart wood burning pen this takes about 1hr 30 minutes or thereabouts if you stick with it.

I get amused when I have someone tell me that a Glock is "perfect" stock or that I should learn to adapt to the tool and not make the tool adapt to me. I still wish Glock would make a single stack 9mm somewhat similar to the G36, but with about 3/4" more length in grip , then I could really get to carving to make a pleasant pistol. The Glock plastic frame is a pretty good starting point from the factory for further "refinement." Marry the Glock frame with some Brownells Acraglas and you can really make something interesting. I beefed up a G21 one time for a 500 Cor Bon slide/barrel and trimmed up a G19 to the point I am still afraid it the frame might collapse, but carry it regardless because it is HK P7-like. My only stock Glock is my 17L with BoMar sights and personally tuned trigger (see lower left of attachment)

Funguns.jpg

When one of shooting friends ask me to do theirs this is about as wild as I go with someone else's Glock, of course you can throttle back from this as much as you want. Tools: Long shaft bench grinder with narrowest grinding wheel you can find to take off the finger humps, drill press vice to hold the frame, Dremel with a couple of sanding barrels and a 10.00 woodburning pen from WalMart.

Glock1.jpg

The grinding wheel makes taking off the finger humps and the trigger guard point a little faster, but a dremel will do it. Other than the dremel all you really need is the 10.00 wood burning pen. So cost is nothing. The drill press vice allows to turn the project around a little easier for access and light. To do one like the aforementioned takes about 1hr 30 minutes from the time I clear the pistol, remove the slide and magazine. Go in circular random patterns, not linear. Except for punching a hole (which I have not done in over 30 pistols using this technique) you can fix most oops situations with the woodburning pen. It ain't rocket science. Probably the most ergonomic thing to do is radius the edge of the trigger guard where it meets the grip to alleviate the "Glock callus" on the 2nd finger knuckle. Some people like just having the finger humps knocked off and that space stippled. The one interesting thing to note is that the more of the backstrap that is shaved along with the further up you cut where the trigger guard meets the grip, the flatter the Glock will point. I have one, see my Avatar, that is about as far as you can go and still have confidence the frame will hold together. I don't do those for other people. Why do it? Why not? The gun still works, feels better in the hand and costs little to do but a bit of time. I taught one guy how to do it and he stippled his Remington 700 Scout Rifle - that was a project!

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/graycrait/Grindingwheels.jpg

Gripreductiontools.jpg

Robar has been doing similar set ups for year now, but don’t get as radical in the stippling. I’ve handled a G-19 and G26 with ghost ring sights, cut down back straps and rounded trigger guards from them. Cosmetically they still are different but in the hands they are remarkably more comfortable.

Robar has been doing similar set ups for year now, but don’t get as radical in the stippling. I’ve handled a G-19 and G26 with ghost ring sights, cut down back straps and rounded trigger guards from them. Cosmetically they still are different but in the hands they are remarkably more comfortable.

Really?

Graycrait:____________

I like the idea of "easing (...thinning...) the grip" in the area of the trigger. How did ya decide how much to cut and did ya cut a templet to match the other side after ya did the material removal? By the way, i like the overall idea on the stippling. Great job!

Regards,

Leroy

leroy,

I've done 30+ Glocks and some other guns with plastic grips, some plastics work better than others and some have more material than others. Like I said most are way less radical than this G26 I started this thread with. As far as grinding or hogging out a groove for the trigger finger I started this because I had to have a snapped tendon repaired in my strong hand trigger finger and was trying out different guns in the aftermath. During the rehab several things struck me: self defense handguns have to be able to be shot off-hand weak-hand reliably with follow-up shots on target; if bullseye target shooters radically make ergonomic changes to grips why don't others; which SD guns lend themselves to grip changes; why do gun makers make the grip where you have the shortest finger (pinky) the widest part of the grip; a lot of good gun guys I know aren't into athletics and sports -therefore can I offer something from my years of baseball/softball, martial arts (num chuks), wrestling, tennis (played since age 4), traditional archery (recurves and longbows), cane and staff making, as well as knife sheathmaking that allowed me to touch many many dozens of knife designs. Back to grip changes.

From the time my hands slide onto the Glock I want the natural progression to allow as fast as secure access to a solid grip and trigger control as I can, because I am not that fast. The other cuts are to get the pistol to point flat fast in first grab secure grip. I wanted as low of bore axis as I can get in what I call the most reliable handgun ever made: the Glock 9mm. Also my RH trigger finger is crooked now, shorter too, from the injury repair, neccessitating as much LOP reduction as possible. Compound that with the fact that my wife has short fingers - it seemed a good idea to hog out that channel, and remove some material from the backstrap. I looked over the grip frame a lot before hogging material out but then just figured it is a Glock after all, and not 5-screw mint S&W Target Masterpiece, so get to cutting. Contemplation sometimes equals procrastination, etc. I hogged out that channel by eye and stopped when it seemed, more might be a bad idea, but if I go through the frame what is the real harm, its a Glock.

Are there other pistols or handguns that facilitate my peculiar desires, yes but most have some drawback that makes me want to use Glock. I have started really fooling with the now discontinued Star BM and BKM (aluminum) 8-shot semi-auto. I am lucky to have access to nearly any handgun I want to try out as well as have had many of my own. I finally decided I am only going to fiddle with two self-defense handguns, Star BM/BKM and Glock 9mm. OK, I have several revolvers I am working on but am going to give them to friends if I ever get them running again.

Attached are some pics of other examples:

Glock26CubanStyle-1.jpg

Glock19Xtreme.jpg

Graycrait:____________

Thanks for the explanation and the great pictures of the baby glock. I believe that your improvement

of thinning the grip area around the trigger guard to let the trigger finger more naturally reach toward

the trigger is the greatest custom improvement ive seen in any glock.

Thanks again for the excellent explanation and pictures.

Leroy