The Walking Dead.

Was it my imagination or did Darryl's deer have multiple bolts sticking out of it? Does he have some sort of semi auto cross bow? Had he just left the deer or couldn't track it and decided to go squirrel hunting instead?

I noticed the multiple bolts, too. My take was this: Darryl actually said he had been tracking the deer for some time. My thinking is that he already had the squirrels then saw the deer. Being desperate and not seeming to be the type of character who would care that much about whether or not his shot was 'ethical' (I have to admit I might not be, either, in that situation) he took a shot that was closer to the hindquarters than to the heart/lungs. In tracking/following it and maybe even trying to drive it back toward the camp, he had a chance to take another shot or two but still didn't get a clean kill. The deer was weakened by the shots and by trying to get away to the point that the zombie was able to jump it, kill it and begin eating it (the zombie's bite was to the neck/throat area and looked to be the most immediately fatal of all the deer's wounds.)

I'm just waiting for someone to get stuck or scratched by one of the bolts that Darryl used on a zombie. For that matter, it might not be the best idea to eat game taken with bolts that are tainted with zombie gore.

"Ok so help me out on this one...The "redneck" guy handcuffed on the roof cuts his hand off to get out a said cuffs, but the door has been locked from the inside? Where did he go? Also, I noticed that while he was on the roof, the Zs were trying to get on the roof. When help arrived there were no zombies so did they just leave with him? I'm sure it will be answered within the next couple of weeks but I was just trying to figure it out."

Remember in the previous episode, where the fellow with the baseball cap saves the lead character, they have to go up the ladder on the side of the building. I assume this was his way down. But trying that with one hand must have been real hard to do, to say the least...

The chain was not as tight, it would have allowed for the door to be pushed open, but not too many zombies could get against the steel door and rip it from its hinges.

Why did he not attempt to cut the handcuffs, or the bolt they were attached to, beats me. It does point, as a few have stated, to him being of unsound mind. Which will lead to future drama.

Edited by HvyMtl
See I don't think he's that much of a douche. I think he probably figured Rick was screwed and he decided to take care of Lori and Carl. The biggest douche to me is Lori. She didn't HAVE to pork Shane, but she chose to, then took her crap decision out on him. Im still gonna root for him. Especially after that ass whooping he handed mr wife beater.

I think Shane is a total douche. Before, when I thought that the affair was an ongoing, long term thing I felt as badly toward Lori as Shane but not now. Yes, Lori probably should have grieved longer for her husband who she thought was dead but her behavior can probably be put down to emotional stress and being especially vulnerable from having lost not only (she thought) her husband but also life as she knew it. It would be understandable that she would turn to the one person she thought she could trust, her husband's so-called best friend Shane, for comfort. He used that trust and her vulnerable state - along with a straight-up lie that her husband was dead - to try and simply take over a ready made family. Further, it was obvious that he was pissed that Rick is still alive - almost like, "How dare he be alive and ruin my perfect little setup?" Then, since he realized he wasn't going to be able to just take over Lori's affections once she knew Rick was alive, he tried to continue his attempts at taking over as Carl's dad. I'm guessing that giving those four rounds from his range bag to Rick before he heads back to Atlanta was more Shane's way of easing his conscience than because he really thought it would help Rick all that much.

Edited by JAB
I actually think that is a bit of writing that shows true life fairly accurately. His tactical knowledge is represents his ability to survive. In a PAW, moral absolutists will likely have a lower chance of survival over those with the moral elasticity to do what's necessary. Rick is a moral absolutist and though he is the hero in this tale, his actions are continually putting people in danger or risking his family to do what is morally right. Shane won't do that. He has that ability to self justify doing whatever is necessary to survive, or to acquire what he desires (Lori & Carl).

I was glad to find out that the real reason Rick wanted to go back was to get the walkie-talkie so he could warn Morgan and Duane not to go to Atlanta. Leaving Merle to his own devices rather than leaving his family would have just made me think of Rick as more human. Leaving Morgan and Duane to walk right into a zombie-fest when he wouldn't have survived the first couple of days without them, while understandable given the circumstance, would have moved him quite a bit closer to Shane on the jackhole continuum.

Edited by JAB

To add what JAB said: I think Shane has Lori's name tattooed to his chest (visible in the scene where they did it.) I believe he was gunning for her long before. (Which would also explain the discussion Shane and Rick had in the police cruiser in the pilot episode, and the visit with flowers in the hospital.)

I'm guessing that giving those four rounds from his range bag to Rick before he heads back to Atlanta was more Shane's way of easing his conscience than because he really thought it would help Rick all that much.
Well those bullets were basically so they could kill themselves before they became zombies, so that's not saying much either haha.
I think Shane is a total douche. Before, when I thought that the affair was an ongoing, long term thing I felt as badly toward Lori as Shane but not now. Yes, Lori probably should have grieved longer for her husband who she thought was dead but her behavior can probably be put down to emotional stress and being especially vulnerable from having lost not only (she thought) her husband but also life as she knew it. It would be understandable that she would turn to the one person she thought she could trust, her husband's so-called best friend Shane, for comfort. He used that trust and her vulnerable state - along with a straight-up lie that her husband was dead - to try and simply take over a ready made family. Further, it was obvious that he was pissed that Rick is still alive - almost like, "How dare he be alive and ruin my perfect little setup?" Then, since he realized he wasn't going to be able to just take over Lori's affections once she knew Rick was alive, he tried to continue his attempts at taking over as Carl's dad. I'm guessing that giving those four rounds from his range bag to Rick before he heads back to Atlanta was more Shane's way of easing his conscience than because he really thought it would help Rick all that much.

Eh I think that's a cop out. I would hope that if I was left for dead my wife's immediate reaction would not be to pork my best friend. IMHO I think it's all a little too vague to figure out just who did what. We can assume Shane did tell her Rick was dead, but honestly, I don't believe it was a "flat out lie". I'd say he probably had ample reason to believe that.

I think Shane told Lori he'd go get Rick before they left town. When he got to the hospital and saw how bad it was he made the self preservationist assumption that Rick was dead instead of taking the risk of entering the hospital to find out for sure. He knew Lori wouldn't accept it as a sure thing if he didn't see a body so he lied and said he was dead, probably embellishing the story that he saw the body. He took a gamble and lost and now he's dealing with the consequences of it. He has yet to deal with the more serious consequences of having to tell Rick that he lied to Lori so he could move in. You have to wonder how Rick will take it with is infallibly honorable character. If he sticks to character he'll be upset with Shane but will come accept and eventually forgive it. Lori will be forgiven by default as she was misled.

"Ok so help me out on this one...The "redneck" guy handcuffed on the roof cuts his hand off to get out a said cuffs, but the door has been locked from the inside? Where did he go? Also, I noticed that while he was on the roof, the Zs were trying to get on the roof. When help arrived there were no zombies so did they just leave with him? I'm sure it will be answered within the next couple of weeks but I was just trying to figure it out."

Remember in the previous episode, where the fellow with the baseball cap saves the lead character, they have to go up the ladder on the side of the building. I assume this was his way down. But trying that with one hand must have been real hard to do, to say the least...

The chain was not as tight, it would have allowed for the door to be pushed open, but not too many zombies could get against the steel door and rip it from its hinges.

Why did he not attempt to cut the handcuffs, or the bolt they were attached to, beats me. It does point, as a few have stated, to him being of unsound mind. Which will lead to future drama.

Wherever Duane went, he went away from the Z's. Once the food was gone from the rooftop, they went back outside. Why he didn't cut the bolt or the cuffs is anybody's guess.

Guest Lester Weevils
Wherever Duane went, he went away from the Z's. Once the food was gone from the rooftop, they went back outside. Why he didn't cut the bolt or the cuffs is anybody's guess.

It is possible to over-think a fantasy, but was wondering about that too.

Didn't think about cutting the bolt. Cutting the bolt ought to have worked.

Are police-issue handcuffs hardened too much for a hacksaw? Am ignorant of metallurgy, but had a rude surprise when trying to cut an ordinary tool-steel drill bit down to a short stub (make it short enough to fit a tight space).

First tried cutting the bit with a handheld bandsaw, and it knocked all the teeth off the bandsaw blade in about 10 seconds without even scratching the bit. Just to be ultra-dumb, I also ruined a brand-new hacksaw blade confirming that the hardened steel was hacksaw proof.

Hacksaw would cut the shank of the bit like butter. Apparently only the front end of the bit had been heat-treated.

Dunno about handcuffs. If they are heat-treated like drill bits, then maybe a hacksaw wouldn't do much good?

It is possible to over-think a fantasy, but was wondering about that too.

Didn't think about cutting the bolt. Cutting the bolt ought to have worked.

Are police-issue handcuffs hardened too much for a hacksaw? Am ignorant of metallurgy, but had a rude surprise when trying to cut an ordinary tool-steel drill bit down to a short stub (make it short enough to fit a tight space).

First tried cutting the bit with a handheld bandsaw, and it knocked all the teeth off the bandsaw blade in about 10 seconds without even scratching the bit. Just to be ultra-dumb, I also ruined a brand-new hacksaw blade confirming that the hardened steel was hacksaw proof.

Hacksaw would cut the shank of the bit like butter. Apparently only the front end of the bit had been heat-treated.

Dunno about handcuffs. If they are heat-treated like drill bits, then maybe a hacksaw wouldn't do much good?

Depends on the cuffs. Some of the cheaper cuffs would probably cut easier than the expensive ones. I know I'm not sawing through my Smith and Wesson or Peerless cuffs to tell you lol

I am enjoying this show.

As for using the hacksaw to cut his way out. I know they did not show it very good and I will need to go back and watch the scene closer but what about cutting the metal the cuffs where attached to instead of trying to cut the cuffs. It already looked rusty and flimsy.

Kind of reminds me of the scene in Mad Max where the BG is cuffed by the ankle to a vehicle that he knows is going to explode. Gibson's character throws the BG a hacksaw and tells him that he'll never be able to saw through the chain on the cuffs quickly enough but, if he is lucky, he might be able to saw through his ankle in time.

I never watch movies on AMC (or TNT, or FX, or USA, or any of the other general cable channels that only show edited versions).

Dusk Till Dawn is on AMC and it's not even like the same movie cut and censored as it is to a PG 13 or whatever is allowed there).

Makes me think how good Walking Dead might be if it didn't have to duck R or TV Mature type ratings limitations.

- OS

Probably just a random prop, was it me, or did it look like they had a chain as the stringer?

Overall, I really liked this episode. I felt that it lived up to the hype of the first episode. Still some drama, and interpersonal relations and character development, and some gratuitous zombie killing as well.

I am starting to like Darryl Dixson, he is a hotheaded redneck, but he listens to Rick. I kinda hope his character sticks around.