The Walking Dead.

Probably just a random prop, was it me, or did it look like they had a chain as the stringer?

Overall, I really liked this episode. I felt that it lived up to the hype of the first episode. Still some drama, and interpersonal relations and character development, and some gratuitous zombie killing as well.

I am starting to like Darryl Dixson, he is a hotheaded redneck, but he listens to Rick. I kinda hope his character sticks around.

Yeah kinda seems like Rick's right hand man in this episode. Its interesting with the one character having premonitions as dreams.

Probably just a random prop, was it me, or did it look like they had a chain as the stringer?

Yeah, I didn't recognize the type of fish. I guess it wouldn't have to be a type that is native to the area since they are fishing a quarry so any fish in it would be stocked, anyhow.

I have a stringer that is a chain with what looks like giant snap-swivel snaps on it. You string the fish by poking the ends of the snap-swivels through their lips. Like this one:

Opentip.com: STRINGER 46 IN 9 SNAP HOOKS FISHING ACCESSORIES Fishing by liberty mountain

Overall, I really liked this episode. I felt that it lived up to the hype of the first episode. Still some drama, and interpersonal relations and character development, and some gratuitous zombie killing as well.

I am starting to like Darryl Dixson, he is a hotheaded redneck, but he listens to Rick. I kinda hope his character sticks around.

I liked this episode, as well. I also agree that the character of Darryl is starting to 'grow' on me. For one thing, I suspect that he isn't really as much of a bigot as he lets on but wants to imitate his big brother, Merle (who is a bigoted a-hole), because he looks up to him. He showed a certain amount of loyalty when Glenn was taken. If not for all the zombies in between them, I think he would have fought three or four of the Hispanic guys to try and stop them from taking Glenn. Of course, he later had to try to 'maintain' by acting like Rick was stupid for going in to try and save Glenn - but that didn't stop him (Darryl) from joining in the rescue attempt, even knowing (based on what they thought at the time) that he was probably just going to end up dying right alongside Rick and T-Dog. I wonder if Darryl is beginning to realign his respect from his brother to Rick. Of course, Rick has already had his revolver aimed at Darryl's head at least once and it looks like he does so again in next week's episode. Funny thing, while most of us would get tired of someone pointing a handgun at our head and telling us that they won't hesitate, I think it is actually helping Rick win Darryl over. I think Darryl believes Rick wouldn't hesitate and respects him for it. Warped? Maybe - but that's reality when dealing with some people.

Darryl's thinking to use his brother's severed hand as a scare tactic to get information, as if he had chopped up some dude for making him angry, was downright brilliant, I think. It seems to have worked, too.

Yeah, I didn't recognize the type of fish. I guess it wouldn't have to be a type that is native to the area since they are fishing a quarry so any fish in it would be stocked, anyhow.

I have a stringer that is a chain with what looks like giant snap-swivel snaps on it. You string the fish by poking the ends of the snap-swivels through their lips. Like this one:

Opentip.com: STRINGER 46 IN 9 SNAP HOOKS FISHING ACCESSORIES Fishing by liberty mountain

I liked this episode, as well. I also agree that the character of Darryl is starting to 'grow' on me. For one thing, I suspect that he isn't really as much of a bigot as he lets on but wants to imitate his big brother, Merle (who is a bigoted a-hole), because he looks up to him. He showed a certain amount of loyalty when Glenn was taken. If not for all the zombies in between them, I think he would have fought three or four of the Hispanic guys to try and stop them from taking Glenn. Of course, he later had to try to 'maintain' by acting like Rick was stupid for going in to try and save Glenn - but that didn't stop him (Darryl) from joining in the rescue attempt, even knowing (based on what they thought at the time) that he was probably just going to end up dying right alongside Rick and T-Dog. I wonder if Darryl is beginning to realign his respect from his brother to Rick. Of course, Rick has already had his revolver aimed at Darryl's head at least once and it looks like he does so again in next week's episode. Funny thing, while most of us would get tired of someone pointing a handgun at our head and telling us that they won't hesitate, I think it is actually helping Rick win Darryl over. I think Darryl believes Rick wouldn't hesitate and respects him for it. Warped? Maybe - but that's reality when dealing with some people.

Darryl's thinking to use his brother's severed hand as a scare tactic to get information, as if he had chopped up some dude for making him angry, was downright brilliant, I think. It seems to have worked, too.

I like Norman Reedus anyway. Come on it's Murphy MacManus! I agree 100% with you. Plus he has the Horton crossbow I like lol

Yeah, I didn't recognize the type of fish. I guess it wouldn't have to be a type that is native to the area since they are fishing a quarry so any fish in it would be stocked, anyhow....

Well, somehow most long time water filled quarries wind up with a few bass and bream in them, whether they're ever stocked or not, guess folks slip them in there.

I've never seen a quarry with much of a fish population though. Most are too deep and drop right off from the "shore" to support normal ecosystem.

Even catfish can't live below about 50 feet, not enough dissolved oxygen.

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno how many quarries are out in the woods around Atlanta.

When I went to GA TECH back in the 1960's used to go swimming in a quarry out in the woods off the side of one of the highways, but can't even recall where it was located. I just remember we would pull off the highway onto an abandoned dirt road then walk into the woods maybe a half mile.

The quarry in the film kinda looks like the place, but maybe all quarries just look alike. There was one road entrance with what passed for a tiny beach, and the rest of it had high walls that drunk fool college kids would sometimes dive off of.

That quarry had lots of big fish, and they liked to come up and nibble on swimmers. Dunno what kind of fish.

Well, somehow most long time water filled quarries wind up with a few bass and bream in them, whether they're ever stocked or not, guess folks slip them in there.

I've never seen a quarry with much of a fish population though. Most are too deep and drop right off from the "shore" to support normal ecosystem.

Even catfish can't live below about 50 feet, not enough dissolved oxygen.

- OS

I've never fished a quarry and so don't know that much about their populations. I do know that I was in a bait shop a few times that had the biggest bluegill I have ever seen mounted on the wall and when I asked where the shop owner found bluegill that big he said that he had caught them in a quarry that had since been fenced off and no longer allowed fishing.

I've never fished a quarry and so don't know that much about their populations. I do know that I was in a bait shop a few times that had the biggest bluegill I have ever seen mounted on the wall and when I asked where the shop owner found bluegill that big he said that he had caught them in a quarry that had since been fenced off and no longer allowed fishing.

If there's a significant part of it that goes 1-25 feet deep, it can hold as much fish life as a normal pond/small lake, once it's been there long enough for aqua-flora to take hold. The kind that just had a road into them and then everything went straight down, don't have a place for the aqua-flora, or for fish to even lay eggs.

I have indeed caught a few decent fish out of a couple of small ones in McMinn Co. growing up -- they were ones that for whatever reason didn't get worked very long, and so weren't real deep in all areas.

- OS

It really just depends on the particular quarry how much it is fished. The ones around where I live are pretty empty,

Good episode. I'm thinking the crossbow might be a good SHTF weapon from a reusability of ammo standpoint as well as the quiteness. A bit hard to get off quick shots though?

Yeah you have one shot and if you miss your screwed, plus there would be a huge disadvantage if you were in a fight with more then one individual.

Just a few thoughts on the 11/28/20010 episode

Was any one else disappointed that Jim got bit?

It really seems to me that they are just going to be setting up the next 13 episodes in this and next weeks episodes.

The whole CDC thing was an interesting twist.

It looks like there would be guns and ammo laying around from where the grunts got over run. I want to know how much savaging they do. Since it takes place in the south there should be a Wal-mart in every town. There is always 12 gauge ammo in a Wal-mart. Final thought I think the ultimate zombie killer would be a .22 semi auto rifle with a red dot and a suppressor. Accurate enough for brain shots and a .22 tends to bounce around inside of the skull doing more brain damage. Brain damage=dead zombie. A suppressor would help keep more of the undead from locating you by the sound of gunshots. Of course at close range nothing beats a good old fashioned 870. I wonder if it were loaded with game loads of size 7 shot if it would be enough to kill a zombie at 10 yards or less? I have a few hundred rounds of that on hand.

Upside down flag sign of distress. I think they are definitely in distress.

They had a damn DShK set up at the CDC in a guard post. That is the RUS version of the M2 though. I also noticed they had the older tanks set up to look like M1A1s again.

as a side note.. I thought these 6 episodes were complete before they decided to shoot more shows. I am not sure if you can set it up if you did not know you would have more show to shoot.

Yeah, it was disappointing that Jim got bit. He seemed to have become the clan seer/clairvoyant. Anyone catch when he mentioned that Rick "said he was going to watch the boat" at some point? I wonder if he's going to be making a reappearance as some point.

Daniel, I'm sure the armored vehicle selection had to do with budget. The first 6 episodes were sold to AMC as a package. Next year I think they ordered 13 more episodes. I bet next season they will have more modern hardware since they'll have a better budget to continue filming.

Guest Lester Weevils
Just a few thoughts on the 11/28/20010 episode

... I want to know how much savaging they do. Since it takes place in the south there should be a Wal-mart in every town. There is always 12 gauge ammo in a Wal-mart.

The episode gives a time-scale hint. The CDC guy doing his video dictation, says it is 194 days since wildfire and 63 days since the infection went global.

Dunno if wildfire would mark the first case, or the first day the shtf big-time. I would guess the latter. Assuming that the infection started in USA (which seems likely as far as we know), then 194 days seems plenty of time to strip every walmart to the bone. And to strip most unoccupied houses to the bone. Depending on how many survivors remain in the first few weeks.

In New Orleans Katrina, Walmarts were stripped to the bone in a couple of days, and the city was nearly deserted at the time, with most of the population evacuated.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I liked that Carol took over the pick to finish off Ed out of what appeared to be either love or duty, then proceeded to take out her hatred of the man. I was surprised that they left Jim behind like that. I thought their final act before driving away would be to shoot him. I know Rick offered him a revolver to do it himself, Knowing hat he'd end up being a walker at best, and fresh walker food at worst, it seems that killing him would be the thing. I can understand them not doing. That would be a really hard thing to do. I'm just surprised they didn't kill him. Or let him do it and then retreive the gun.