Why hide serial number?

Guest KCSTEVE

Do you hide your serial number when you post pictures of your firearms?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hide your serial number when you post pictures of your firearms?

• Yes, I hide the serial number.
    • No, I don't hide the serial number.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
I guess it is the same reason people go "N. Cognito" online. They like their privacy.

That's my point. Any serial I post is tied to the mysterious, yet handsome Guy N. Cognito. No one can tie it to my real identity, and no one can determine anything about me based on that serial#. There's no risk.

If some bg wants to scribe my serial# in his gun, so be it. There's really no risk to me in that, unless you can provide some data to substantiate your concerns.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no good reason to hide it, other than good, old fashioned paranoia. Why anyone using a screen name on an anonymous web forum would concern themselves with such issues is beyond my comprehension.

HVYMTL, how would a criminal stamping your serial number on his weapon get you in any trouble? No ballistics match.......

First, you are not anonymous.

Secondly, It is not paranoia.

This is coming from one of the least paranoid guys on this forum...

Guest bkelm18
That's my point. Any serial I post is tied to the mysterious, yet handsome Guy N. Cognito. No one can tie it to my real identity, and no one can determine anything about me based on that serial#. There's no risk.

If you really think that then do you not know much about the internet. Secondly, why does this matter to you so much? Why does it bother you that some people care to be a little extra cautious in this day and age?

Guest Guy N. Cognito
If you really think that then do you not know much about the internet. Secondly, why does this matter to you so much? Why does it bother you that some people care to be a little extra cautious in this day and age?

I know as much about it as the average person. I know I am not completely anonymous. Can you out me? Feel free to do so if you feel it necessary. If you can, you will have my name, address, IP address and a few other publicly available pieces of data. You can then search my posts and find the serial numbers of a few guns I own.

What can you do with all that data? What risks do I run?

Having an opinion opposite yours does not mean it "bothers" me. Quite honestly, I couldn't care less what precautions you feel you need to take to protect yourself, no matter how meaningless I think they may be.

Guest Lester Weevils

I don't know whether it is unreasonable paranoia. I don't know if it could make one vulnerable to non-obvious scams.

But this belief in hiding serial numbers is at least as old as the internet. I wasn't into guns before the internet and do not know if the belief was common even in the ancient primitive pre-internet era.

At the dawn of the internet, Compuserve had a very active moderated firearms forum. Called a special interest group back then. It was moderated policy that full serial numbers would not be posted, for protection of users who do not know any better than to post them. If a user accidentally posted a full serial number, a moderator would edit the number into partial form as a favor to "protect the user".

I recall one member of that sig who worked at the NRA home office, and was very knowledgable about revolvers. He would kindly give information about users' revolvers given a partial serial number. But he did not want people even privately emailing him full serial numbers.

Those guys did not seem incredibly insanely paranoid overall. Maybe they were only being paranoid about SN's, or maybe they had real-world concerns. Dunno.

I always cover up the serial number when I post pics online. Usually I'm posting pics when trying to trade or sell a firearm. Even if I didn't care about posting the s/n, the person that I'm doing business with might. Doesn't hurt to hide and it only takes a couple of minutes to blur it out. Modern image editing software makes life easy.

I can't think of a good reason not to hide the s/n.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Well, let's just put it this way - calling people who you really don't know paranoid really isn't the best way to win friends and influence people....

This comment strikes me as humorous considering the source.

:)

Hiding s/n is not unique to firearms. The bass guitar forum I frequent discusses the same topic about once a month. There are many members there that insist that a visible s/n is a serious risk to life and limb. They can't quantify that risk, or give any real examples of it, either, but they remain convinced nonetheless.

This comment strikes me as humorous considering the source.

:)

Hiding s/n is not unique to firearms. The bass guitar forum I frequent discusses the same topic about once a month. There are many members there that insist that a visible s/n is a serious risk to life and limb. They can't quantify that risk, or give any real examples of it, either, but they remain convinced nonetheless.

Dude, get some perspective.

No one has even remotely suggested that hiding SNs are a "serious risk to life and limb". What I am objecting to is the "paranoid" label. You have the right to your opinion, but that opinion should be backed up with some kind of evidence to be valid. If not, then it's worth about as much as the current US dollar, which is zippo.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Dude, get some perspective.

No one has even remotely suggested that hiding SNs are a "serious risk to life and limb". What I am objecting to is the "paranoid" label. You have the right to your opinion, but that opinion should be backed up with some kind of evidence to be valid. If not, then it's worth about as much as the current US dollar, which is zippo.

Sigh.

I agree with your last point. As much as I would try, I cannot provide evidence of a negative. How do I prove something never happens?

Now, take your own advice. Can you (or anyone else) provide evidence of the risks of displaying a s/n on the Internet?

Sigh.

I agree with your last point. As much as I would try, I cannot provide evidence of a negative. How do I prove something never happens?

Now, take your own advice. Can you (or anyone else) provide evidence of the risks of displaying a s/n on the Internet?

I see you still don't get it. I don't have to provide anything. If I want to hide my SNs, then I am perfectly free to do so, without explanation or justification to you or anyone else, and without being called "paranoid" by someone who has his head up his butt.

I really don't know how to make it simpler for you.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
I see you still don't get it. I don't have to provide anything. If I want to hide my SNs, then I am perfectly free to do so, without explanation or justification to you or anyone else, and without being called "paranoid" by someone who has his head up his butt.

I really don't know how to make it simpler for you.

Ive made it mad again. As I've stated above, you're more than welcome to hide or unhide anything you wish.

You stated above that I needed evidence to prove my opinion valid. I cannot provide evidence to support a negative, and offered you the same challenge. In typical form, you divert from my questions with nonsensical aggression.

How do you hide your plate when driving? Are you concerned that those around you can see it? :D

There is quite a difference between the number of people who will see my license plate number when I am driving to work, etc. (one, anonymous plate number among hundreds of others which will pass them or be passed by them at highway speeds on any, particular day) and the number of people who have access to the Internet and who may be viewing the picture from anywhere in the world.

Think of it this way - how likely is it that someone is going to use a serial number from a firearm I own or the license plate number from my car to cause me problems? I don't know - maybe not very likely. Then, again, how likely is it that I am going to need a firearm to defend myself or my loved ones? As a private citizen, how many times have you had to use a firearm to defend yourself from a threat of death or serious, bodily injury in a public setting? How many private citizens do you, personally, know who have had to use a firearm to defend themselves from a credible threat of death or serious, bodily injury in a public setting? Such an occurrence is probably not all that likely for most of us yet many of us have gone through the hassle and expense of obtaining an HCP and carrying a firearm wherever legally possible. We likely will never need said firearm - and the requirements for carrying it are certainly more involved than simply blotting out a serial number in a picture - but we go through the trouble of being legal and carrying a firearm, anyway. Similarly, a serial # posted on the Internet may not be at all likely to cause me any trouble, whatsoever - but it really isn't any trouble to blot it out, anyway, and it makes me feel better.

Edited by JAB
Guest Guy N. Cognito
There is quite a difference between the number of people who will see my license plate number when I am driving to work, etc. (one, anonymous plate number among hundreds of others which will pass them or be passed by them at highway speeds on any, particular day) and the number of people who have access to the Internet and who may be viewing the picture from anywhere in the world.

Think of it this way - how likely is it that someone is going to use a serial number from a firearm I own or the license plate number from my car to cause me problems? I don't know - maybe not very likely. Then, again, how likely is it that I am going to need a firearm to defend myself or my loved ones? As a private citizen, how many times have you had to use a firearm to defend yourself from a threat of death or serious, bodily injury in a public setting? How many private citizens do you, personally, know who have had to use a firearm to defend themselves from a credible threat of death or serious, bodily injury in a public setting? Such an occurrence is probably not all that likely for most of us yet many of us have gone through the hassle and expense of obtaining an HCP and carrying a firearm wherever legally possible. We likely will never need said firearm - and the requirements for carrying it are certainly more involved than simply blotting out a serial number in a picture - but we go through the trouble of being legal and carrying a firearm, anyway. Similarly, a serial # posted on the Internet may not be at all likely to cause me any trouble, whatsoever - but it really isn't any trouble to blot it out, anyway, and it makes me feel better.

See, I don't think the correlation you used above is accurate. While I would agree that the reasons for getting a HCP and the use of a firearm in a self-defense situation is slim, the risk is quantifiable and one must do nothing more than open the morning newspaper to find examples of such use (or the need for such.) On the other hand, I've participated in conversations about s/n a number of times on a number of different boards and in person. No one has EVER been able to quantify the real risk of showing their serial number, and no one has ever produced any examples of someone experiencing trouble for showing the serial number of a legally-owned gun. Not one. I really don't care what people choose to do, but I sure would like to find one person able to quantify the risk most think they are defending against.

See, I don't think the correlation you used above is accurate. While I would agree that the reasons for getting a HCP and the use of a firearm in a self-defense situation is slim, the risk is quantifiable and one must do nothing more than open the morning newspaper to find examples of such use (or the need for such.) On the other hand, I've participated in conversations about s/n a number of times on a number of different boards and in person. No one has EVER been able to quantify the real risk of showing their serial number, and no one has ever produced any examples of someone experiencing trouble for showing the serial number of a legally-owned gun. Not one. I really don't care what people choose to do, but I sure would like to find one person able to quantify the risk most think they are defending against.

Whether you agree with the reasons or not, and regardless of whether the risks are quantifiable or not, it is what it is. I've never been shot, but I put body armor on each day when I go to work. I've never been in a bad crash, but I wear my seatbelt. Are those examples quantifiable? Yes. Irrelevant? No. Because it only takes a couple seconds to do and negates a risk, no matter how large or small.

Seems to me that the question has been asked and answered.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Whether you agree with the reasons or not, and regardless of whether the risks are quantifiable or not, it is what it is. I've never been shot, but I put body armor on each day when I go to work. I've never been in a bad crash, but I wear my seatbelt. Are those examples quantifiable? Yes. Irrelevant? No. Because it only takes a couple seconds to do and negates a risk, no matter how large or small.

Not really. You wear a seatbelt because cars DO crash and people DO get hurt more if they dont' wear their seatbelt. You can read the paper, or watch the news to understand that this is a real risk. If you're a cop, you wear your vest because cops DO get shot. It may be rare, but it does happen.

Can you, or anyone, tell me what risks I face by showing my s/n on the web? Can anyone link to at least one article, website, or new report in which someone suffered some ill because they posted a serial number? To me, it seems to be a fear of something that is totally unknown, unquantifiable, and un-real (I made that word up.) :confused:

Not really. You wear a seatbelt because cars DO crash and people DO get hurt more if they dont' wear their seatbelt. You can read the paper, or watch the news to understand that this is a real risk. If you're a cop, you wear your vest because cops DO get shot. It may be rare, but it does happen.

Can you, or anyone, tell me what risks I face by showing my s/n on the web? Can anyone link to at least one article, website, or new report in which someone suffered some ill because they posted a serial number? To me, it seems to be a fear of something that is totally unknown, unquantifiable, and un-real (I made that word up.) ;)

I'll refer you to the bold area of my first post where I clearly explained what you just asked. Again, the reasons for blurring a serial number have been given. Asking again doesn't change any answers. Wasn't it Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? :)

Edited by kb4ns

Can you, or anyone, tell me what risks I face by showing my s/n on the web? Can anyone link to at least one article, website, or new report in which someone suffered some ill because they posted a serial number? To me, it seems to be a fear of something that is totally unknown, unquantifiable, and un-real (I made that word up.) ;)

Once, again,

...a serial # posted on the Internet may not be at all likely to cause me any trouble, whatsoever - but it really isn't any trouble to blot it out, anyway, and it makes me feel better.

I think you aren't getting the point that some of us are making. We blot out the serial numbers because we want to. We don't have to justify that to you or anyone else. It is my gun, my serial number, my posting and my picture. If I want to blot out the serial number, I don't require anyone's permission to do so and I don't need 'quantifiable data' to back up my decision. I don't care if you choose not to blot yours out. It is simply your decision and none of my business. So why do you care if I choose to obscure mine when it isn't your decision and is none of your business? Is there some reason you want to be able to see our serial numbers? If not, then what difference does it make to you?

Guest Guy N. Cognito
I'll refer you to the bold area of my first post where I clearly explained what you just asked. Again, the reasons for blurring a serial number have been given. Asking again doesn't change any answers. Wasn't it Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? ;)

I'm thinking you just don't understand the (very basic) question that has been asked, since you seem to think it's been answered.

(continued below)

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Once, again,

I think you aren't getting the point that some of us are making. We blot out the serial numbers because we want to. We don't have to justify that to you or anyone else. It is my gun, my serial number, my posting and my picture. If I want to blot out the serial number, I don't require anyone's permission to do so and I don't need 'quantifiable data' to back up my decision. I don't care if you choose not to blot yours out. It is simply your decision and none of my business. So why do you care if I choose to obscure mine when it isn't your decision and is none of your business? Is there some reason you want to be able to see our serial numbers? If not, then what difference does it make to you?

(continued from above).

This is the best and only real answer that has been given. People just want to mark them out, for no good reason whatsoever.

JAB, if you'll ready posts, you'll see that I am completely indifferent to the irrational decisions you chose to make when it comes to your serial numbers. ;) Honestly, I'm just trying to understand what the perceived risk is here. So far, you guys have confirmed my beliefs that no real risk exists. As always, I welcome evidence to the contrary.

(continued from above).

This is the best and only real answer that has been given. People just want to mark them out, for no good reason whatsoever.

JAB, if you'll ready posts, you'll see that I am completely indifferent to the irrational decisions you chose to make when it comes to your serial numbers. ;) Honestly, I'm just trying to understand what the perceived risk is here. So far, you guys have confirmed my beliefs that no real risk exists. As always, I welcome evidence to the contrary.

Maybe there is a real risk and maybe there is none. Maybe there are no cases in which posting a pic with visible serial number has caused anyone problems. So what? The fact remains that I choose not to post visible serial numbers. My choice and I don't owe you or anyone an explanation. You asked, "Why?" I answered, "Because I want to." That is as simple as I can make it.