Why hide serial number?

Guest KCSTEVE

Do you hide your serial number when you post pictures of your firearms?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hide your serial number when you post pictures of your firearms?

• Yes, I hide the serial number.
    • No, I don't hide the serial number.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original question was: "Why do some hide the serial number of their guns in a photo and others do not?"

It would seem that some hide the serial number due to the possibility that it could cause a problem and / or they choose not to divulge any more personal data than they have to or need to. You can count me in this group. Probability has nothing to do with it.

It would also seem that some choose NOT to hide the serial number because they either see no possibility that it could be a problem, or they choose to make that information public. Others fall into this group. Again, it would seem that probability is not necessarily part of the equation.

Personal choice.

I ain't paranoid, but I don't see a reason to provide any of my personal information in a public venue unless it is an absolute necessity. If you choose to provide personal information that is not a necessity, the probability may be extremely low that it could be mis-used. But the possibility exists.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
The question is "Why?"

The answer is "Why Not?"

/debate

:)

You can justify all sorts of stupid stuff with "logic" like that. :D

JAB, I never said you owed me an explanation. I'm just trying to understand the risk. What I now understand is that there isn't a real risk and you guys just do it because you want to. It confirms my suspicions about this subject.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Man this has turned into a mission for you hasn't it? "They must all see I'm smarter! Muahahahahaha" Nobody cares you don't agree with it. You seem to be the only one hell bent on telling everyone they are wrong.

Haven't you and I done this dance before?

Everytime this subject comes up, people will tell you that they hide serial numbers because bad things can happen if you don't. However, every time it comes up, no one can ever give any examples of such risk. It's such a widespread occurrence that I figure, eventually, someone will tell me why it's a real risk.

I find another interesting phenomenon in these threads. When those who hide numbers get questioned about why, they tend to get quite defensive. I'm guessing it's because they dont have a good reason for their concerns. Hiding your serial numbers simply because you want to is perfectly acceptable. It your gun....do with it what you please. Nothing to get angry about. But, if your contemplating the behavior for your next gun sale, please understand that no one can quantify any risk with the behavior.

I looked back on my posts, yet i cant find where ive told anyone they were "wrong." This isn't your forum. As far as I know, I'm allowed to share my opinion, even if you disagree with it. Feel free to ignore it. :lol:

Yea what can I say, I like to dance. You're hounding people to show you a reason to justify their actions and most have told you it's because they want to. No one here owes you an explanation. You just don't want to accept that so now you're badgering people you disagree with to stroke your ego.

I'm aware it's not my forum, but most of us who have been here awhile don't mind telling people when they are acting stupid. Especially people who have been more or less antagnostic since they started posting here. Up to you though, if it's that necessary for you to be right, by all means continue.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Yea what can I say, I like to dance. You're hounding people to show you a reason to justify their actions and most have told you it's because they want to. No one here owes you an explanation. You just don't want to accept that so now you're badgering people you disagree with to stroke your ego.

I'm aware it's not my forum, but most of us who have been here awhile don't mind telling people when they are acting stupid. Especially people who have been more or less antagnostic since they started posting here. Up to you though, if it's that necessary for you to be right, by all means continue.

Oh, so it's the old "I've been here longer than you" bit. Well, at least your consistent. :lol:

As I recall, I wasn't debating anything with you. Seems like you just came looking for a fight. If my opinion bothers you, feel free to move along.

Oh, so it's the old "I've been here longer than you" bit. Well, at least your consistent. :lol:

As I recall, I wasn't debating anything with you. Seems like you just came looking for a fight. If my opinion bothers you, feel free to move along.

Not at all. Just simply saying that aside from the rare argument, most of us here don't feel the need to constantly badger someone about their personal reasons for doing something.

If you feel I came looking for a fight, that's your opinion, I'm just sticking up for the rest of the thread to do as they please. You know, if everyone's opinion bothers you, feel free to move along. :blush:

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Not at all. Just simply saying that aside from the rare argument, most of us here don't feel the need to constantly badger someone about their personal reasons for doing something.

If you feel I came looking for a fight, that's your opinion, I'm just sticking up for the rest of the thread to do as they please. You know, if everyone's opinion bothers you, feel free to move along. :stunned:

I'll leave it with this: if you had actually read what I posted, instead of just jumping in here look for a fight, you would have seen that I have no problem with anyone choosing to conceal their s/n. I have said that again, and again, and again. You'll also see that I'm not trying to change anyone's behavior. I'm just trying to understand the behavior, as it is prevalent in the firearm community (and several others, to boot.)

The general answer I've received is "I don't know why I do it, but I do it just is case." That's great. I still thinks it's paranoid, but a little paranoia in life is a good thing.

I'll leave it with this: if you had actually read what I posted, instead of just jumping in here look for a fight, you would have seen that I have no problem with anyone choosing to conceal their s/n. I have said that again, and again, and again. You'll also see that I'm not trying to change anyone's behavior. I'm just trying to understand the behavior, as it is prevalent in the firearm community (and several others, to boot.)

The general answer I've received is "I don't know why I do it, but I do it just is case." That's great. I still thinks it's paranoid, but a little paranoia in life is a good thing.

Calling everyone who hides their S/N "paranoid" right off the bat doesn't exactly give the impression of someone who's "trying to understand it".

If you haven't read "How to Win Friends and Influence People", now might be a good time to do so.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Calling everyone who hides their S/N "paranoid" right off the bat doesn't exactly give the impression of someone who's "trying to understand it".

If you haven't read "How to Win Friends and Influence People", now might be a good time to do so.

Again, funny considering the source.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I hope you recover in time for Christmas.

:D

Guest Guy N. Cognito
So guy, do you always have to have the last word?

Not always.

Ooops..........

I apologize for offering a dissenting opinion. Clearly some here can't handle that.

Could I ask you or " the Punisher!" or DaddyO that same question? Am I not allowed to reply to those that address me directly??

Not always.

Ooops..........

I apologize for offering a dissenting opinion. Clearly some here can't handle that.

Could I ask you or " the Punisher!" or DaddyO that same question? Am I not allowed to reply to those that address me directly??

Dude.. you can ask me anything you want. You can have any opinion you want. You can reply as much as you want. I'm certainly not in charge of you. At some point though, it just seems to me that you've said it. And that's cool, say it. But man, to keep beatin that dead horse has to just wear you out at some point.

Be cool. Have a good week and go shoot at something to make yourself feel better. :P

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me! :P

Guest Guy N. Cognito
I love that I managed to get quotation marks and and an exclamation point. *tear*

Guy you're one of those people who actually steams about this stuff offline aren't ya? Sorry we called you out on your BS. It's ok I'm sure most of us will still play with you.

A smart man would think the same thing about a forum member that joined a thread simply to argue..........

...... Have you actually expressed an opinion on this topic yet?????

Edited to add: If I was really angry, I would feel compelled to start a "why is everyone on the internet so mean" thread....well....much like this one:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/45900-just-me.html

:P:slapfight::D:slapfight::slapfight:

Edited by Guy N. Cognito