Why hide serial number?

Guest KCSTEVE

Do you hide your serial number when you post pictures of your firearms?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hide your serial number when you post pictures of your firearms?

• Yes, I hide the serial number.
    • No, I don't hide the serial number.

Can't agree with this. A quick scan of several web- based gun sale forum (including ours) would yield a plethora of unhidden serial numbers.

Well, if the gun's for sale any way, maybe the seller doesn't care who knows they have it? I dunno.

What I do know is that in the threads I tend to look at, I see more S/Ns blocked out or just not shown than the other way around. Those are usually the "Show us your _____" type of thread though, not the ones where people are selling something.

Still, you believe whatever you want. It really is all the same to me. I just fall into the group that can find less reason to show 'em to the world than not to. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any guns I buy used will not have the numbers posted. This is due to the chance that they could be stolen or used in a criminal maner in the past. I do not want someone at my door arresting me for having stolen property or anything. The only reason I even care about this is because legal fees are so dang high. I would gladly return stolen property but I do not charged with anything during the process.

Guest Sgt. Joe
A slight aside, regarding interesting serial numbers...

I used to have a Case Bowie that had a portrait of Jim Bowie etched on the blade.

The serial number was 1836. ( The year Bowie died at the Alamo )

... Just another one'a those things I wish I'd not sold. :-\

Now, back to your regularly scheduled argument...

That is just the type of thing that I meant. Or maybe a 357 wheel gun with the serial number of 35738.

Meaningless stuff really, but may would add some value to someone who really wanted it.:):shrug:

Can't agree with this. A quick scan of several web- based gun sale forum (including ours) would yield a plethora of unhidden serial numbers.

One-half of a statistic does not a convincing argument make nor a good foundation for an opinion.

Maybe a search of the same web-based gun sale forums did yield a "plethora of unhidden serial numbers but how does that compare to the total number of listings? A search of the same sites might yield a "double-plethora", of hidden serial numbers if one were looking for them and a search of many, many more sites might yield data that contradicts your view.

In any case, how many people do or don't do something (like hide serial numbers on pics of firearms) is irrelevant to whether hiding serial numbers is or isn't a good idea.

Edited by RobertNashville

I do not live in fear, but I obscure the number. I would do the same for any item of value that I posted on the web, its not a gun thing. I have no idea what clever sort of scheme could be done with the number, but I do not want to find out, so I obscure any and all personal info on the web to a high degree and this is part of that effort, nothing more.

My camera takes 20 something megabyte pictures anyway, and I resize, crop, and webify them anyway before posting, it takes 2 extra seconds to remove the SN, 10 if you want to make it pretty (pixel push tool) instead of just draw a black box over it.

• 1 month later...
i mean seriously i easily spent an hour laughing my butt off at this

You know the funny thing about these threads is that I read back over them and I laugh at most of the crap that gets posted in these little back and forths and how petty it is, but then we all end up doing it over again. Ah the internet lol

Guest josh123
You know the funny thing about these threads is that I read back over them and I laugh at most of the crap that gets posted in these little back and forths and how petty it is, but then we all end up doing it over again. Ah the internet lol

i know i work nights..so on my nights off i still end up staying up all night and usually find myself on here browsing old threads ive missed ha and i had to bring this one from the grave.. i just couldnt control myself its the best one ive seen yet...

the sad part is.. its not even a legitamate argument..so what if someone does or doesnt want to hide the serial number. its their serial number ha whats it matter to anybody else haha

the sad part is.. its not even a legitamate argument..so what if someone does or doesnt want to hide the serial number. its their serial number ha whats it matter to anybody else haha

Welcome to the interwebs! The place where it can't just be your business, because by God, someone else wants answers and they know they're right! lol

Was this already posted? Seems *somewhat* relevant:

Police: 102 guns stolen last year » Local News » Press-Republican

In one instance, Keniston recalled, a gun owner posted pictures of his handguns online and was soon targeted by burglars, who ransacked his home and gun collection.

Technically could have happened without serial numbers being posted... but does throw a log on the fire.