Looking to buy an AR15

Guest Chattanoogan

Guest Chattanoogan

I'm unsure on what Brand, id like to have a Colt, but i'm thinking I would hate to pay that much for it just to say Colt on it.

I would like some opinions.... Any noticeable difference in quality (reliability) between brands. I know they all jam if you don't keep them clean.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my Bushmaster. If I had it to do again I'd probably buy one of Bravo Co's 16" midlength ARs.

A couple of guys I work with bought some CMMG Bargain Bin rifles and have been pleased with them. for $650 (chrome lined version, definitely a necessity) I don't think you can really go wrong with that.

ETA: My next rifle will be something more expensive. I'm looking at either getting a LaRue Stealth upper and building my own lower or just buying a LaRue OBR Lite.

You can buy one like I bought. A LWRC M6a2 d-dea. You can see pictures under my thread, "Finally bought my first rifle." I haven't got to shoot it yet, but from everything I have read it is supposed to be a top notch ar. I don't think the DEA would be using it if it was crap. The downside is they are a little pricey.

Why don't you roll your own. It's not hard to do, I thought it was a lot of fun, and you learn a lot about the platform in the process. Mine is a Yankee Hill lower with a DPMS LPK, BCM M4 stock and buffer tube, a BCM BFH 16" mid length upper and BCM bolt carrier group, Cavalry Manufacturing handguards, with an Eotech EXPS2 sitting on top of it. It was so much fun, I am thinking of building another.

Seriously, if you can change out a roll of toilet paper, you can build an AR. Especially if you buy your upper complete.

Why don't you roll your own. It's not hard to do, I thought it was a lot of fun, and you learn a lot about the platform in the process. Mine is a Yankee Hill lower with a DPMS LPK, BCM M4 stock and buffer tube, a BCM BFH 16" mid length upper and BCM bolt carrier group, Cavalry Manufacturing handguards, with an Eotech EXPS2 sitting on top of it. It was so much fun, I am thinking of building another.

Seriously, if you can change out a roll of toilet paper, you can build an AR. Especially if you buy your upper complete.

+1. I literally just build my first lower. Took about 45 minutes because I had no idea what I was doing. AR-15.com is a great resource. I have top notch parts on mine. I'm gonna be looking toward building an upper in the near future. I had lots of fun. It's like legos for big kids.

....+1. I literally just build my first lower. Took about 45 minutes because I had no idea what I was doing. AR-15.com is a great resource. I have top notch parts on mine. I'm gonna be looking toward building an upper in the near future. I had lots of fun. It's like legos for big kids. ....

I fully agree with Johnny and Brandon. We've done two AR's so far (...an HBAR carbine and a HBAR Bushmaster...). I really think Johnny hit the nail square on the head with his observation that building them is:"....like legos for big kids. ...". He is dead right.

I think it's a good thing to build the lowers yourself so you have some notion about how the parts of your AR fit together and work. You may need to know that sometime. I also like the idea of buying a complete upper (...or having someone build it for you; it takes a few tools we dont have....), just pick out what ya want. We had a couple built just the way we wanted them and i really like them. That way, you get exactly what ya want.

I may get beat up for saying this; but i see the AR business like the computer business; if the parts that go inside are good, names dont mean much unless you are a collector. If good parts go in (...no matter the name...), good reliability and accuracy will result. If it's possible, there are more great AR parts out there than there are 1911 parts. I like Spikes, Yankee Hill Machine, Bravo Company, Noveske, LMT, Double Star (...right close in ky...); the list goes on and on. Take a look at the AR builder feature on the Brownells website, plus the stuff available at AR15.com and m4carbine.net. There are also several great guys who are members here who are a great resource and help.

Hope this helps. Let us know what ya decide to do.

Leroy

Edited by leroy
spelling!!
I may get beat up for saying this; but i see the AR business like the computer business; if the parts that go inside are good, names dont mean much unless you are a collector. If good parts go in (...no matter the name...), good reliability and accuracy will result. If it's possible, there are more great AR parts out there than there are 1911 parts. I like Spikes, Yankee Hill Machine, Bravo Company, Noveske, LMT, Double Star (...right close in ky...); the list goes on and on. Take a look at the AR builder feature on the Brownells website, plus the stuff available at AR15.com and m4carbine.net. There are also several great guys who are members here who are a great resource and help.

I don't understand. Why would you get "beat up" for such a claim? Heck, you fellas may be right. Building your own ar may be the best way to go. In my case, however, it wouldn't be. I am not very comfortable with rifles considering it is only this week that I got my first rifle. Perhaps as I get more familiar with my rifle I will do as you guys do, and build my own in the future. As of right now, I am happy with my purchase, and look foward to learning how to shoot the thing.

...I don't understand. Why would you get "beat up" for such a claim? Heck, you fellas may be right. Building your own ar may be the best way to go. In my case, however, it wouldn't be. I am not very comfortable with rifles considering it is only this week that I got my first rifle. Perhaps as I get more familiar with my rifle I will do as you guys do, and build my own in the future. As of right now, I am happy with my purchase, and look foward to learning how to shoot the thing. ...

Mav:____________

I'm glad youve joined our little band. Shooters can be an interesting (...and entertaining ...) breed sometimes. There are pockets of great "brand loyalty" amongs some of our little band (...my Colt shoots better than your Doublestar...). There is also a bit of great caliber loyalty (....my 50 beowulf shoots harder than your "mousy" 556...). You get the picture. For the most part, these are "friendly jabs at buddies", but they can get very entertaining (...and pationate...).

My personal favorite is the "caliber war" that goes on from time to time (...my 45 auto will shoot better than your "mousy" 9mm...); or the ole your plastic glock aint as good as my 1911 (...or viceversa...). The great thing is, that it most always is all in fun; and it is always entertaining!

Again, welcome to our little band of opiners and scholars!

Keep up the good work.

Leroy

I did lot's of research a couple of years ago and for the money bought a S&W. It replaced a bushmaster and I have been very happy with the Smith. I have since built my own on a Spike's lower and got the Vltor upper complete. I would say spend some time at an outdoor range and bring some .223 ammo. You will most likely trip on a half dozen ARs on a nice day. If you ask lots of questions you will eventually be asked if you want to shoot one. See if folks would let you shoot a few. An AR is not as simple as they used to be. There are lots of choices for stocks and gadgets that don't fit every shooter. Your price range makes a huge impact on your options. Be sure to spend some times on iron sights before making the leap to optics.

Guest Ditchdigger

Don't do it, don't give in to the EBR bug. Unless you've got unlimited resources, time to spend on web sites like this and and a very understanding wife or not one at all. Step back while you still can! Bought a Daniels Defence M4V3 for "my daughter to hunt with". Then I get to reading and different sites about the 6.8. Bought a stag upper, now I got 2 uppers and one lower. Man it's a pain in the butt to get those two little pins out to change, sure could use that other lower. Then theres always the 22lr conversion for cheap shootin, don't even start looking at the suppressor stuff either. It goes on for ever. Good luck with your choice, theres a lot to choose from, you'll get a lot of good advise from the folks on here, too.